2017 Hacking/ Riding Challenge.... Add your photos too

OMG THE WALK FROM HELL!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek: NOTHING FUN ABOUT THAT 45 MINUTES.:(:(

The above freezing temps and heavy rain over nite did melt the ice and most puddles sunk in - its gloomy out but not
cold.
I figured to walk the other part of the cranberry bog trail and had my orange on --that thought changed quickly.

Sonny was so full of himself and was reary jumpy chargey you name it- I thought I had a wild horse on the end of that lead.
WE went around to the ring that thank god was also melted and most of the puddles sank in so the footing was decent.
WE pretty much stayed in there!!! He was so full of excess energy with the better footing and no ice he went around forever on the lead and threw in rears bucks jumps and even the odd courbette!!.. and capriole:confused::confused::confused:
Finally he settled down a bit but I kept him and walked in the ring for most of the walk,
Then came out and walked a bit on the driveway between Virginias house and the couple of barns.
Thank god he is a very sane guy when its icy out but today what a big time brat!!!!

Totals
Sonny unmounted 3.5hrs

These are totally mild to what he was doing !!
I had my hands full REALLY FULL a lot of the time
IMG_3885.JPG

IMG_3886.JPG

a sane moment
IMG_3884.JPG

IMG_3887.JPG

I am very jealous of your close access to trails. Rusty and I mostly have to stay on our 6 acres unless someone can trailer us. Luckily I've become acquainted with a nice lady who has quarter horses who will take us along on her rides.

It was a long time in coming to find this place!!!
I was tied to my 3 acres at the old place and rode the neighborhood,
I had to trailer out to trails too.
I did have a hill area at the old place thankfully.
But I am very VERY thankful to have this place now.

OMG THE WALK FROM HELL!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek: NOTHING FUN ABOUT THAT 45 MINUTES.:(:(

The above freezing temps and heavy rain over nite did melt the ice and most puddles sunk in - its gloomy out but not
cold.
I figured to walk the other part of the cranberry bog trail and had my orange on --that thought changed quickly.

Sonny was so full of himself and was reary jumpy chargey you name it- I thought I had a wild horse on the end of that lead.
WE went around to the ring that thank god was also melted and most of the puddles sank in so the footing was decent.
WE pretty much stayed in there!!! He was so full of excess energy with the better footing and no ice he went around forever on the lead and threw in rears bucks jumps and even the odd courbette!!.. and capriole:confused::confused::confused:
Finally he settled down a bit but I kept him and walked in the ring for most of the walk,
Then came out and walked a bit on the driveway between Virginias house and the couple of barns.
Thank god he is a very sane guy when its icy out but today what a big time brat!!!!

Totals
Sonny unmounted 3.5hrs

These are totally mild to what he was doing !!
I had my hands full REALLY FULL a lot of the time
View attachment 84801

View attachment 84802

a sane moment
View attachment 84803

View attachment 84804

Oh Sonny!:confused::eek::oops:

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
I have updated my times on the 2016 thread so now I feel ok to start logging my times on here . I am only going to log ridden times this year.
Tuesday 3rd January was my first hack of the year. He hasn't been ridden as often as usual what with the holidays etc so he was a wee bit nappy at the start but once he got going he was very good.

Total ridden 1 hr

What a difference a day makes! :)

Totals
Sonny unmounted 4.25 hrs

Excellent walk today
Sonny was a very good bo. I did bring a lungline just in case but he was great.

It was very cold and quite windy but we did the continuation of the bog path that did end up kind of
disappearing but we forged thru til we got to the main center trail.
The whole walk was great!!!;):):D..

Tomorrow will be snowing so we will see how things pan out but I did get a pair of rain pants yesterday.-they will also work good if its snowing.

It was so nice to have him back to his long and low self!!;)

Been up the farm all afternoon and managed my first ride of the New year..... on in the front paddock but felt good to be back in the saddle. The farmer and his friends were shooting so didn't want to hack out today.... tomorrow I have a lesson and Sat or Sunday might hack out :)

Glennie inhand 30 making 1 hour

Melody walk/trot 45 mins

Last edited:
I went over to walk right after the snow stopped;)

It was really pretty and not windy yet.
Sonny was awesome I kept away from the cranberry bog area even though I had my glow orange coat on -- Hunters will be out in force afer a freshly fallen snow since they can see tracks so why chance it.
IMG_3978.JPG
Since the wind had not come up yet the snow was
sooooooooo lovely on the trees:)..

IMG_3986.JPG

We are due a bigger snow for tomorrow :(:mad:

Totals
Sonny unmounted 5.50 hrs

Rode for an hour on my lesson today.... I am already feeling much more confident with my fortnightly lessons. I am working on my position and transitions ... I can feel a difference to my riding just from some slight adjustments in my position.... Melody was full of herself and happy to do upward transitions but more forward downwards lol... I don't she was wanting to do the stops today :)

Put my waterproof Jodhpurs on for the first time this morning, they are so cosy and comfy. Although they do look a bit like something Miss whiplash would wear lol The rain had mostly died of by the time we set off. I have put a few wee video clips together, after we had a trot down the road and we stopped at the end of the road he was like a dragon with the his warm breath coming out of his nostrils lol Then he of course had to splash through the puddles, he loves water :)

Total ridden 2 hrs

Put my waterproof Jodhpurs on for the first time this morning, they are so cosy and comfy. Although they do look a bit like something Miss whiplash would wear lol The rain had mostly died of by the time we set off. I have put a few wee video clips together, after we had a trot down the road and we stopped at the end of the road he was like a dragon with the his warm breath coming out of his nostrils lol Then he of course had to splash through the puddles, he loves water :)

Total ridden 2 hrs

Love the video :)

Reactions: joellie

Total ridden 2 hrs

Lovely video :)

Are they the Decathalon Kipwarm breeches? I've two pairs - the black look like Dominatrix trousers (and subsequently I dont get out the car anowhere but but the yard when I'm wearing them :D )but the grey are much more respectable!

Are they the Decathalon Kipwarm breeches?

Yes they are, and you are right, I don't think I would be wearing them out even to just nip into a shop lol I did think about getting the grey but I stopped smoking a few years ago and put 2 stone on which I haven't been able to shift so I thought the black would be more forgiving :rolleyes::D

He is such a sweetie!!!;):):D

I loved him splashing in the water!!:) Great video.:D

Today is going to be a bit of a challenge :(. We have heavy snow starting very early and continuing until tomorrow :mad::(.

Its not snowing yet but its only 5:14am. I am hoping to get out for a walk before it starts. The 6am news should give me a better time frame for the start of the snow.

newrider.com