Words of wisdom wanted for sudden change in behaviour!

Renly96

May 29, 2017
Hi all!

My 18 year old OTTB is just not himself lately and I'm not sure what it could be or where to start. He's usually very well behaved and would never do anything nasty, at worse he'd plant his feet and after a few seconds of me sitting quietly, he'd move on. Last week he started becoming a bit strong in the school, just wanting to canter non-stop and refusing even the tiniest cross poles I put out for him which is incredibly unusual as he's a very willing jumper and seems to enjoy it.

Moving forward to this week we were doing some flat work in the school, working on some transitions and poles and I asked him to slow up and he planted his feet as he sometimes does, but for the first time in 3 years he reared up a little then bucked. A friend suggested he might be bored of just going to the school all the time, so I decided to take him for a little hack out in the village where he is usually well behaved but unfortunately the horse with him was napping and he got a bit worried and repeated the little rear and buck he did in the school the days before.

This is so unusual for him as he's usually the sweetest boy and has never done anything like this before. His teeth have recently been checked and his back was checked over by the vet and he trots up fine. I'm wondering where to go with this next...not sure if I need to get the vet out again, saddle fitting, physio or my riding instructor?

Just looking for any ideas as to what it might possibly be as I'm quite worried about my old boy! No changes in feed/routine lately other than he was moved to a much grassier pasture about 2 weeks ago but not sure if this could just be down to extra spring grass?

Thank you so much for reading!

It sounds as though something is not right for him, so the first thing I would check would be tack - Ziggy started being a bit off last year and his saddle needed flocking and adjusting. Then back, then all over - so saddler first, then physic, then vet. Other people may have a different order!

I hope it's something simple like his saddle and you soon have your familiar old boy back again.

My horse is ever so slightly off at the moment. He is not lame at all, but feels a little stiff to ride. I have booked my saddler to come out, and I have booked the physio to give him a once over. I am keeping a close eye on his feet as he is prone to foot abscesses and I am making sure I give him a good groom and feel all over his body and legs with my hands everyday in the hope that I might spot anything that is unusual.

It does sound like your horse has a problem. A saddler and physio would be my first port of call.

Thank you both so much! He has put on a lot of muscle recently so it could well be his saddle fit. Booking the saddle fitter now!

Reactions: Jessey
Sounds like the saddle to me too. Move work grass and a tight saddle can really effect their way of going,

IMO this is the time of year that horses need their 6 month MOT if not done earlier.

It sounds as though something is not right for him, so the first thing I would check would be tack - Ziggy started being a bit off last year and his saddle needed flocking and adjusting. Then back, then all over - so saddler first, then physic, then vet. Other people may have a different order!

I hope it's something simple like his saddle and you soon have your familiar old boy back again.
I'd go in this order too :) grass can affect some a lot, but if you've had him some years you'd likely know what he's like on fresh grass and not think it odd so I'd go with a physical check up :)

Small update! I tried a larger gullet on his saddle today and had a good look myself and I think it does look tight on his shoulder now, so the saddle fitter is booked for Sunday! :) Failing that, he has a general physio check up on the 13th and if we're still not 100% then I'll give the vet a call. Thank you all for the replies, put my mind at ease a lot :)

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com