What's the point of a Noseband?

Murphs

Oct 22, 2000
Pembrokeshire, West Wales
Ok - today i managed to break the strap on mine and had to ride without a noseband - it didn't affect her way of going at all, so it made we wondered what the point was.

Can anyone tell me and should i replace it or carry on without?

I always thought that nosebands were really for presentation, like the bridle looks a little un-finished and what not! But don't listen to me!!!! ;)

I think you are right Elfin. I'm positive that I read that unless you are using a standing martingale there is no use for a nose band. Unless of course you have to use a drop or a crackle nose band.

The nose band is only there (please don't quote me on this) to make the bridle look complete.......

Maybe someone else here will be able to answer your question positively:) :)

If you're using a normal cavesson noseband it depends how tight you do it up as to whether it has any effect. If it's really loose then it's for decorative purposes only! If it's tightit can stop the horse opening their mouth to some degree as it acts on the jaw, just much further up than a drop or flash would. Having said that it still allows the horse much more freedom than a drop or falsh etc. Some horses actually prefer no noseband as they feel less restricted and unless you used to rely on it being done up really tightly then you shouldn't have a problem not using one. Hope this helps.:)

I've pretty much abandoned my noseband too. It's less to clean! I can't see the point of putting any more on your horse than you really need to, and if you have to strap your horse's mouth shut with a flash or a grakle then there's probably something wrong anyway!

Maybe the exception would be a drop noseband - I read that the Spanish Riding school reckon they can get as much refinement using a drop noseband with a full-cheek snaffle as most people can get with a double bridle. And I also agree that a nice cavesson noseband does sort of finish off the look for special occasions!

I have seen several horses being ridden without nosebands. Apparantly, nosebands make the horses face look less long! I wouldn't bother buying a new one if your horse is fine without it. I'm not sure about competitions though, you may need one for some but I'm not sure!

thanks everyone for the input. When I first got Ebony I used a flash -she objected to it one day so i started to ride without it. Her noseband was always "loose" so i'll carry on without for now and see how we go. She's back with a white stripe on her face so i think she'll look quite nice without it! Don't do competitions so don't need to worry on that score.

I never use a noseband on the bridles, because western bridles don't have them. I think it looks pretty cool without actually. :)

When I first started riding, I thought the bridle was broken, and kept looking around for one that wasn't broken. I kept thinking, "What kind of barn is this? They don't have any bridles that aren't broken!! :( " Ha-ha. :)

i have always thought that unless you are using a flash or drop nose band or a martingale that there is really no use for a nose band accept for apperance.i have to use a nose band because i often use a flash nose band because my horse chews like crazy!!!!but some times i wish i could go without it because my horse has a very nice blaze and the nose band seems to cover it up!
if im wrong on this feel free to correct me because im not 100% on any of this.
i dont think you will need to replace your nose band unless you are going to show your horse where i think it is necessary to have a nose band for english.

~Holly~

Noseban

They certainly do make a difference, nosebands fitted correctly help to secure the horses mouth by stopping it from opening it too far and evading contact. My previous ned ad a sore under his chin and I had to stop using his noseband for a while, needless to say when cantering, he opened his mouth and fixed his jaw thereby me losing some control. Soon as I popped the noseband back on, all was well and this was a plain noseband. Many horses don't fix, cross or oopen their mouths anyway, so under those circumstances a noseband is more or less a finishing off piece

The one time Hannah rode Benny without a noseband he went off like a rocket with his head down between his legs. I school from the ground in side-reins without one if I don't use the Cavesson but little'un won't ride without for a bit.

nosebands

i guess it sort of depends on the horse, because i tried riding without the noseband on two horses and one took off with me and the other acted like normal. i suppose the pony was used to having that bit there and when it was gone, decided to take advantage of his newly found freedom, and the mare never needed the noseband for restraint so she just acted as usual.

newrider.com