What does a hanging cheek snaffle do?

Laura2184

Mar 1, 2005
Cheshire
www.cheshiretackroom.co.uk
Hi,

Please can someone show me pics and tell me what a hanging cheek snaffle does?

My instructor has told me to try one and yes she did tell me what it does but I was hot and sweaty from my lesson and I don't really remember what she said... :eek:

Thanks! :)

Many people believe a hanging cheek snaffle gives some poll pressure but it doesn't!! This is one of the most common misconceptions about bits that you come across. For anyone who doesn't understand the science behind fulcrum points and leverage then it has even been proven using computer pressure pads under the head piece that there is no increase in pressure over a normal snaffle.

As there is no fixed point for the reins it does not have any leverage action at all. You will often see the cheek pieces bulge away from the side of the horses face when the rider takes up contact on the reins so you can easily see it cannot put pressure on the poll.

However what it does do is hold the bit more steadily in the mouth than a normal snaffle so that it is more stable across the tongue and some horses prefer this. Others do not and it often encourages them to lean and become heavy.

Like other snaffles it comes in a variety of mouthpieces ie single jointed, french link etc and different materials and can be a case of trial and error until you find the ideal for your horse.

Thank You Passage,
However what it does do is hold the bit more steadily in the mouth than a normal snaffle so that it is more stable across the tongue and some horses prefer this. Others do not and it often encourages them to lean and become heavy.QUOTE]

ahh now I remember that she said it does this, does anybody use one? If so why and how do they find it?

Thanks Passage for that description.

I went to a Hilary Vernon bitting clinic with my two horses mainly to get my youngster bitted correctly. My older horse I didn't have any problems with really but took him anyway. Hilary said the bit we were using - KK Sprenger - was slightly too big so she recommended one of her own range which was a hanging cheek with a lozenge in the middle.

Over the next few months his riding generally deteriorated. We had his saddle checked, visits from the dentist, physio, vet but nothing was found to be a problem. It was only after a visit from a very good myofascial equine bodyworker that we discovered the cause of the problem. She had us ride the horse bareback after his treatment - no problem, then with just a headcollar - no problem, with just a saddle and headcollar - no problem, then as soon as we put his bridle on he went all stiff and pottery again. Problem solved! I feel so incompetent as to not having picked up on this before.

Like Passage said he had become heavy and and reluctant to work and this was all down to the hanging cheek bit. Now he's back in his KK Sprenger he is okay again. So find out the reason why your RI recommended this bit before using it.

I use one and Fabio far prefers it to a normal snaffle. I use a french link one for schooling and have had to move up to a waterford mouth piece (but still hanging cheek) for hacking as he gets far too strong in the french link!!!

It is supposed to encourage the horse to lower his head carriage, and found that yes it does. The french link version is VERY mild though, but he schools very nicely in it, really responsive. Unfortunately just no brakes if i use that one hacking or i wouldn't have bothered changing.

I have Lance in a baucher (hanging cheek) french link. He will only accept a baucher snaffle as it offers stability - he hates bits without this and tosses his head all over the shop! He was put into this bit when I downbitted him from his dutch gag he was in when I got him, and I chose this initally due to the similar stability - the dutch gag also has a purchase which stabilises the bit, but the snaffle is fixed cheek rather than loose ring, and doesn't apply the poll pressure.

Obviously my horse goes much better in this snaffle than any other snaffle, and I wouldn't be without it. He CAN lean against it occasionally when he's tired or excited - but he leans against any bit in these situations so I can't say it's specifically due to the baucher.

I use a hanging cheek bit for Roxy and she's much better in that than in a normal bit. She's in a myler hanging cheek now and I even have proper brakes in it! It holds the bit stiller in the mouth and helps a bit with steering.

newrider.com