What bitless bridle would be best for my horse?

Little_Bit

May 3, 2017
I'd like to go bitless every now and then (say on trail rides or lazy days). She currently works best in a broken snaffle curb (I tried a regular snaffle but she'd only ever been ridden in a curb and likes the curb better). My trainer said she was used to/likes the poll and under the chin pressures instead of just the mouth pressures. So what kind of bitless would she listen best to? I have a bosal, mechanical hackamore, and a sidepull I could possibly try. I'd ridden her in a halter once but she didn't seem to like all that nose pressure either.

If she prefers curb and poll pressure I'd stick with that, just be prepared to have less fine control and brakes in what ever you choose, I'm not anti bitless, just it takes most horses a while to get used to it and I find bitless less refined, I ride my girl bitless a lot though :)

If she prefers curb and poll pressure I'd stick with that, just be prepared to have less fine control and brakes in what ever you choose, I'm not anti bitless, just it takes most horses a while to get used to it and I find bitless less refined, I ride my girl bitless a lot though :)
yeah I totally agree with the less refined part, which is actually why I haven't done much bitless before (I enjoy more "fine tuned" horses). I'd just hate for something to happen on the trail and it tear her mouth up or something from the bit (I've seen it before). I do know there's similar risks with bitless but I'd feel much better with her grazing and on the trail. Thanks for your opinion!

The best advice is to have a play, in a safe environment.

I jump (and can hack) in a side pull or rope halter as he's sensitive but forward. I'm really not a jumper & worry that I'll catch him in the mouth if he see's a long one - which he's prone too :D I have in the past and it really worries him so he starts stopping and becomes reactive.

I definitely have a little less refinement - but at least we are in a school!

I don't actually hack anymore in it, as surprisingly brakes are fine but I can't stop him from eating in it ....!

Reactions: Jessey
Whatever you and your horse get on with best.
Mine is ridden in a lozenge snaffle and a rope halter or headcollar. I haven't really noticed a huge difference in losing refinement. Maybe we don't have that much to start she is ridden pretty loosely and natural carriage.
However where you are, my guess is non uk you don't have the insurance issues we do. But I ride four reins so can swap from private to public highway.

Whatever I do bitted I do the same without it, it's not a huge difference it's just some horse don't like it.

I just use a Monty Roberts dually headcollar. he seems to like it. I only use it in the field not out hacking on the roads.

newrider.com