Very basic. just starting out.

Cynnycal

Oct 24, 2001
Chicago IL
Visit site
Hello,
So, i recently started back riding. (after about 11 years) I've only had one lesson so far. I was wondering if i should ask my trainer to give me some lunge lessons though. I want to learn everything correctly this time. the first time i took up riding i was alot younger, and i didn't really KNOW what i was doing, i was just doing it. This time i want to know why i should be doing this, what it means, etc. are lunge lessons a good idea?
Also, I feel so basic because I dont' know what alot of the 'term' mean. I guess i good informative book could help,
Anyone else out there in the same position i am?

There is no greater mystery than simply not knowing, ask every time you are not sure about something.

Lunge lessons are really great if you are just starting back again, this way you can concentrate on things like feel, balance and the like without the worry of controlling the horse.

No instructor should assume the newcommer or returner is fully aware of terms. I hate the use of jargon, it just causes confusion, if I mean turn left I say it, If I mean front left foot that's something everyone can grasp. near fore takes time to sink in.

A god instructor loves questions being asked, honestly, so ask and ask again, even if you think it's a stupid question, it can't be stupid if you need to know the answer. Sometimes what you think is a silly question can lead to real understanding.

Hi Cynnycal,

Good to know that you've come back to riding. I'm in a similar position in a way, although I've just started learning for the first time as a 'mature rider':rolleyes:

I find the terminology quite daunting, and I'm spending my free time studying up on it, as well as riding theory, so I can make the most of my time on the horse (even though by reading up on how it should be done I realise that I've got a very, very long way to go before I'm even halfway competent).

I've been advised to have some lunge lessons by the people here, which I'm trying to sort out, and I've also done some work without stirrups which really helps with balance.

You don't say whether you're riding English, Western etc but if it's English there's some good book links at the very top of this page. There's people here doing all sorts, so there will always be someone who can reply to your questions. Just ask:)

Good Luck!
Paul

whew! good to know i'm not alone here.
yea, the 'jargon' is a bit intimidating. sounds pretty technical when it's really pretty obvious.
i am definitely going to look into some good books about it (by the way, i ride english)
unfortunately, you can't buy that EE book online here in the US. everywhere i try it says out of print. even used.
i've printed out the entire "kinder way" series from here, so i can read it on the train to work. i've got my next lesson this friday, and i can't wait!
thanks for advice.
i'm sure i'll have plenty and plenty of more questions soon enough

I know exactly what you mean about explaining why you should do certain things. I rode for years at a local riding school and they never explained why you should do the things they asked you to do. It wasn't until I started helping at the Riding for the Disabled and started getting free rides every once in a while that I realised there was actully a deep and meaningful reason for asking a horse to do things in a certain way. I put this down to bad teaching. When I get my free rides the teacher that takes the class is fantastic. She explaines the reason for everything. I didn't have a clue about direct flexation (getting your horse to go on the bit while halted) and horses being in an outline until she teached me. She's taught me more in the few lessons I've had with her than the eight years that I rode at the local school. Only problem is, as the center is a place for people with disabilities to ride I can't get her to teach me regulary! (It's one of the things that would push me to get a horse on loan, she'd be able to teach me then as she does free lance as well)
So basically what you really need is a very very very very very good instructor!:D

Hi! I have never had a lounge lesson, but my friend loves them. She says it is the best way on how to learn things right the first time. Also, it improves your balance. I have never had a lounge lesson and I don't know if it would have helped me out, I have been riding about 2 1/2 years now, but I think that it is a good idea. What really helped me out is riding without stirrups for most or all of your lesson. It helped me to really plant my butt in the saddle. Good Luck!

N.R.

4eversaddleseat- lunge lessons always help, no matter what stage your at. As you become a more confident rider and can handle the paces often bad habits start to creep in that can be dificult to shift once there there. Lunge lessons can help to shift them as you can concentrate on yourself, rather than yourself and the horse.

i soooooo know what you mean about jargon, it gets so confusing - but it's still important to know, as many horsepeople simply refuse to call something anything but their "proper" or "technical" name :rolleyes: what my instructor does is like this example. when she wants me to, say, check if i'm on the right diagonal, she'll say something like "check when the outside fore, or left front foot, hits the ground". that way i'll understand for sure but at the same time implants the proper name in my brain. once she knows for sure i have it memorized she stops using the simpler term and sticks to the technical. it's a great method tons of instructors use. :D good luck & have fun with your riding, everyone.

I got my EE book some time ago from Miller Harness Shop in New York. Don't know if they still carry it but you can call their 800 #: 800-553-7655. They also have a catalogue but it is not listed there.

newrider.com