Transitional vertebrae

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Don't know if anyone else has seen this - it's just one more thing for me to worry about, as some of the issues caused by this phenomenon apply to Raf - difficulty maintaining straightness, abnormal loading on one fore for e.g., although his problems aren't as severe as the examples in the text. It does make you wonder how many horses with unexplained intermittent lameness may have this problem. I'm going to look at Raf's back from above without a saddle on, but surely the Physio would notice if there was an obvious physical abnormality?

My OH has 'bony spurs' in his back - only discovered when he had an X-ray for something else and not of any great surprise to the radiologist - so I know these abnormal bony growths are not uncommon in humans.

https://thehorsesback.com/transitional-vertebrae/

I think any half decent physio or saddler would notice any significant spinal deviation or pain on palpation, the very fact that there is only 1 study into it and the fact it is rarely ID'ed in living horses makes me think it is either pretty uncommon or relatively insignificant in its effects. I mean horses don't even have a set number of bones in their body but checking if you horses has a missing one or an extra isn't a routine concern as it is relatively insignificant ;) But that's not to say its not interesting and something worth having in the memory banks :)

Reactions: Bodshi
Blimey, who knew? Do you suspect Raf has these, then?

I certainly suspect he has some kind of muskulo-skeletal issue, he has always loaded more on one fore and has an odd shaped foot on that side, although it's not so obvious now thanks to my wonderful farrier. The EP I used initially said it could be due to a skeletal abnormality possibly just due to the way he lay in the womb. He also travels on two tracks if I don't make a considerable effort to correct him - i.e. his hind limbs make a track just to the right of his fore limbs if you view him trotting towards you head on.

Don't get me wrong, it's not very noticeable and he's been given the all clear by the vet to continue normal activities. The Physio's advice is the same as mentioned in the article, basically to care for him well and ride him correctly to help him build the muscle he needs to support his skeleton (I'm not very good at the latter).

newrider.com