The Chronicles of a New Rider - Parts VII & VIII (photos inc.)

Pedro

... and Pimpao!
Oct 12, 2000
Visit site
Hi everyone!

This week I’m a bit late, courtesy of a surprise work trip to Porto. Three days in shoe factories is three days more in shoe factories than I’d care for! After a full week away from horses I’m suffering dearly of horse deprivation :-(.
To make up with you, today I have something special prepared!

Wednesday, 1 November

This day is a holiday here in Portugal. I took advantage of the opportunity to take my family to see a lesson.
My brother-in-law took his camcorder and I gave my camera to my sister for her to finish the film I had left. That way I had my incompetence properly documented! :)
During holidays there isn’t much of a schedule with the lessons. You just show up and something will get organized. Me and my "audience" showed up after lunch, we waited for a while, and entertained ourselves by watching the school pony bullying two other horses (each twice her size) that were loose in the paddock.

The lesson was with Catraia and it started with me being the sole student. We worked on the walk to begin with, including a few circles. My first attempt was so much off the mark that Francisco, my instructor, described it as "... a radish". I did another one with about the same result. We stopped as Francisco tutored me on the use of the outside rein and inside leg. With a couple more tries I was finally able to do something that could (in a loose sense) be described as a circle (or maybe as a tomato if we wish to keep the salad motif).

Afterwards we did some work in trot. That was when Catraia pulled the first stunt of the day. When I asked for trot she went straight for the opposite corner of the arena, knowing I would have to let her stop if we got too close.
I had to "fight" a little with her to get her on track and tap her in the rump to get her to trot and warn her that she would not be taking advantage of me. It worked quite well and she was responsive for the rest of the lesson (with one exception I’ll discuss later on).
We worked on the rising trot, including a few more "circles". Another student joined the class at this point and we spent some time in the sitting trot without stirrups. That was just perfect because I had received Heather’s video the previous day. I had barricaded myself in my room and trotted to my heart’s content. Now I had the opportunity to put the "training" into practice on a horse, and I was quite happy with the results. At this point yet another student joined in for a lunge lesson on Jubileu. This was when I started noticing a change in Catraia. She (who is not a particularly forward horse) became too responsive to the leg and I even had to slow her down to prevent her from cantering instead of trotting (now that’s a first!).
Was she trying to impress Jubileu? After all he is a big handsome horse (he is 17+ hands, remember? :D). In the end I concluded that she was in fact responding to the lunge whip in Francisco’s hand.

Now, a new instructor entered the scene and to finish the lesson, a bit of canter. The first time I asked Catraia to canter she pulled the same trick she had used in the beginning. The second time I knew what to expect and, with a preventive use of the outside hand, everything went fine. Everything... except for the stirrups, that is! Once again I kept loosing my footing and was forced to stop and start again.
Watching myself on video, later that day, I was quite surprised. I could see that my position still needs a bit of work. My posting, even if it feels a lot better, more relaxed with better freedom of the lower leg, is still too forceful and I could pretty well see why Francisco kept telling me to use the horse’s motion and not to jump myself (I really was all over the place!). On a more positive note, I just couldn’t believe in my motion in the canter. I thought I was rowing too much with the shoulders but on the screen I could see my shoulders and head quite motionless, while my lower back and arms were keeping up with the horse’s motion.

So far I had no way to prove my inabilities. You all just had to believe my words. But now I have proof! Take a peek at http://www.geocities.com/pedrofortunato/nr.html! I accept orders for printed copies by email. I take Visa or AMEX :-D!

Friday, 3 November

As usual I arrived a little before the end of the previous lesson. This one had a funny look! There were six students (and the corresponding number of horses), the first one was riding the pony, the second one was riding Jubileu (17+h :D). Seeing the midget being followed by the giant was hilarious, the second kid’s hip was about as high as the first kid’s head! Even more hilarious was seeing the pony rapidly leaving the rest behind in trot – even if she had to take three steps for each of the other horse’s. At the end Francisco turned to the small audience and asked if we wanted to see a bit of magic. He waited until the six horses were walking in line along the longer side of the arena. He said loudly "We’ll end the lesson here!" and all the horses, without any need of aids from the students, turned inside and stopped side by side in the centre waiting for the students to dismount. I was just like that in my school times, whenever I heard those same words I’d rush outside :) – Pavlov would be proud!

This lesson was pretty much uneventful. There were two other, more advanced, students so I was happy being Tail-End-Charlie. We did rising trot, sitting trot (stirrupless for me), a few circles (no vegetables this time - maybe some fruits... lemons come to mind :)), some diagonals and a double oval track that used the centre of the arena in the longest direction. My main exercise over the lesson was controlling Catraia’s position in relation to the front horse - not too close, not lagging behind - and preventing her herd instinct from transforming our turns into on-the-spot rotations.

The highlight of the lesson was the canter: <Handel’s Hallelujah blasting in the background> I was finally able to do it without loosing the stirrups! <Fireworks exploding as the music goes on> I finally relaxed enough to allow the legs to rest on the stirrups instead of gripping the horse. I was able to make a couple of full turns around the arena without fighting the stirrups and with my behind gently glued to the saddle.

After the lesson we took the horses to their stalls. After taking the bridle off Catraia I had to wait a little before taking the saddle because she was getting so excited with the prospect of being fed that she was seeing hungry monsters (two legged and four legged) trying to steal her food. Catraia was the first (and so far only) horse to throw me down, I didn’t (and don’t) want her to be the first to kick me! When she was eating she looked calmer, I approached gently and touched her on the side and she moved over to let me past without any sign of aggression or distrust (too busy eating the most before the monsters returned, I guess). I finished up without any more incidents, helped feeding the remaining horses and went home, like always feeling tired but happy and peaceful. I feel that I’m making consistent progress over the lessons, and I can barely wait for the next one. I know that sooner or later I’ll be hitting brick walls. But I’m sure just being around horses is reward enough to keep me going on less exciting times!

See you next week!

Pedro Fortunato

Well, Pedro Fortunato! Can I just say that you really do look the part! I think you should be really proud of yourself after so few lessons.

Keep up the good work and may all your circles be like melons - nice and round!!

:D: :cool: :D:

Judy

Wow, Pedro - I love the pictures! Considering that you only had a few lessons you are riding awfully well! You must have real talent(Huge envy!!!!). Or did you only pick the good pics??? ;) Keep up the good work - and keep us informed! Happy riding
Silvia

Great pics Pedro!

You look to me like you have natural talent- your position is better than some ive seen from experienced, long term riders- including me!!!

Must get Heathers video- her book is on the way, but if the video can help acheive a position like that from a relative beginner, I need it!!

Keep up the chronicles- they are brilliant!!

Thanks for the pictures Pedro and for continuing to entertain us. I really do envy the weather on your pictures - when I think of my lesson last night in the cold and wet of Northern England!!!!

I think you are doing just fine, in fact a bit too fine for my liking - there's the envy again!!

Sue

Hey Pedro,

You are doing just great! I would expect much faster progress in Portugal, because the horses are so much better schooled than here, and believe me it makes a huge difference. If you saw the poor old riding school plugs, never had any decent schooling in their lives, respond only to hefty kicks to get them to go, and pulls on the reins to stop, it is no wonder that so many Brits find learning to ride difficult. They are astonished when they come here and ride my horses. It is so easy to teach someone when you have the right 'tools'. Rosie, the young girl with the long red/gold hair on the simulator on my videoand in my book, was my first ever 'guinea-pig' rider on the machine. A complete beginner at 14, she was starting lateral work by her 13th lesson. Rosie is talented, but I never have trouble with my beginners, because they are riding in correctly designed saddles, initially being taught the corr3ect absorption of the movement on the machine and then on well schooled horses on the lunge and eventually off the lunge. So, I am particularly fortunate inmy teaching tools. However, I had to manage for years without the machine, and the only way to teach riders well without it, is to have well schooled horses that respomd to the correct aids.

I had to laugh when I saw you instructor called your circles a radish. My main trainer, Belgian, Capt. Desi Lorent, trained solely in Portugal. He used to say disgustedly 'Zat was not a circle, zat was a squashed tomato'- or sometimes it was 'a potato'- seems this vegetable analogy must be peculiar to Portugal!

By the way, I had a talk with the editor of the magazine Your Horse Lesly Bayley, who you will ghave seen in my video. I told her to read your posts on NR, and she agreed to do so. I will let you know when I hear from her!

Cheers!

Heather

Hi!

Thank you for your replies, I'm glad you liked the pictures! By the way, I did "choose" the photos a little :) specially in the rising trot. Doing it in a short trot is both inefficient and comic – you’re working more than your horse is. Yesterday the instructor put a more advanced student in front setting the pace while the rest of us played catch. It was easier to obtain and keep a more extended trot. Rising up without looking funny was also a lot simpler! My instructor kept telling me to raise my chin during this weekend’s two lessons (chronicles to follow shortly). When I’m walking (on my own feet, that is) I tend to look at the ground 5 or 6 meters in front of me. When riding I tend to look at that same spot, which means my head is turned down. I have just been looking at the photos and that bad habit is pretty obvious :(.

Considering the time of year the weather down here has been quite good. We’ve had some showers alternating with clear skies, but rather nice on the whole. And definitely nothing like what you’ve been suffering in the UK and the rest of Europe! It has been rather cold (Portuguese standard – of course!). Don’t be fooled by my T-shirt, I have a bit of a reputation for being a little insensitive to lower temperatures and I warm up rapidly with exercise. Yesterday everyone had jackets and shirts on and there I was in a skimpy white T-shirt :).

I’ll get back shortly with this weekend’s two chronicles...

Pedro Fortunato

Hi Pedro,

Great pictures. I've been trying to get hubby over to get some snap shots done so I can see what the hell I'm doing. Your progress has been remarkable - shows what good horses & instructers can achieve.(I won't say and student otherwise when you do look down next time your sure to fall off ! Only kidding)

By the way, what are you doing around shoe factories in Oporto ? As far as I'm concerned 1 factory is 1 factory too many. Yep, I deal with them every day (PITY ME PLEASE!!)

I've been away for a week in Italy and my riding boots are STILL waiting to be fixed and my next lesson is on Tuesday I'm going to slaughter the factory if they don't have them ready on time...grumble....grumble...

Shoe factories every day!!! I pity you all right! I spend around one day each month up there and I definitely won't look forward for the next one.

I'm working on software for the shoe industry, so I have to go there to install new versions, learn about problems and try out new features. Usually it takes a full day to get half an hour worth of work done, so it is very, very boring. Gnawing-your-own-leg-off-to-stay-alive kind of boring. The only mildly pleasant thing is the leather smell, it keeps you sane enough to prevent you from hitting the glue.

It took me a while to understand what you meant with that falling off parentheses :). But don't worry, spending half the lesson figuring out the new set of evasions and tricks and the other half trying to avoid them is humbling enough. Then seeing someone get on the same horse and repeat everything perfectly and (apparently) without effort really keeps you in place :).

Pedro

P.S.: If you're going to slaughter a shoe factory, can I give you a list of the ones I'd like you to hit if you still have steam left?

pedro

Just looked at your photos and they definitely prove that "Practice makes perfect". ...I think you are ready for the 17h horse about now. Seeing you makes me want to get out and practice. We've had cold weather and I've become a slacker. Keep up the good work! Marge

That looks really good after just a few lessons. Heather is right - the animals used in riding schools in the UK are ruined. Insensitive mouths, badly trained and in consequence it's all kick and whip.

newrider.com