The Chronicles of a New Rider - Part LII

Pedro

... and Pimpao!
Oct 12, 2000
Visit site
Friday, 6 April

Tonight Astérix provided me with an exiting lesson :). He is a peculiar horse, although he is small and nervous, he shows some stud behaviour. We found if funny hearing him calling out to Boneca, who would reply from her box, out of eyesight. He is the only gelding showing the slightest interest in Boneca (interest that is, every three weeks... Men! :D), and as Francisco told us, he is not just hot air. Contrary to Chèrie's opinion :) of the uselessness of the infatuation Astérix and Boneca show for each other, Francisco has once caught them in the act. They were together in the paddock and Astérix proved he could still perform up to specs!

There were only two of us for the lesson, me on Astérix and a girl around my age on Lord, having a lesson without saddle. Because her handicap provided me with the perfect excuse to take it slow ;), we had a rather calm lesson. I posted a little in the beginning as a warm-up, passing by her several times until I just got in line with the two of them and kept it at a slower, sitting, trot. Getting Astérix close to the corners was something I had to work over the course of the entire lesson. This time I didn't waste time forcing him to the corners, I just insisted that we did a little better each time and rewarded improvements. After a while we were doing it reasonably well, with the exception of the corner near the gate, which none of the horses like to do squarely when working on a left rein - curiously they do that corner well enough when going parallel to the gate, but cut the corner when facing it. I think that when faced with the closed gate they perceive that way as "closed" and turn to circumvent it.

The lesson had nothing much to it, until we started doing side-by-side pair work, which as you know by now, I personally love. Unfortunately this time there was a bit of a problem: Lord doesn't really get along with Astérix! I had no idea about that, but Lord's posture as soon as we got into his side left no doubts. Together with Astérix's "when nervous press sideways against whatever's at hand, preferentially another horse" type of behaviour, the combination proved explosive!
Twice he caught me unprepared and managed to press into Lord as I and the other rider tried to keep them side-by-side, twice Lord found nothing funny about the proceedings. The third time Astérix leaned into Lord while we were in the middle of a corner, Lord was having none of it and kick out in reply. Astérix on his hand, even after having created the situation, was not going to leave Lord's lashing out unanswered. Before I had even realised what was happening, he had partially turned is rump into Lord and they kicked at each other. He then threw himself sideways away from Lord, forgetting that he had an unbalancing weight on his back. It felt as if a bomb had gone up between the four of us and we had been thrown away by the shock wave. Two thoughts came over my mind during those few seconds. One was an image of Astérix and me splattered all over the ground, the second was something of the kind of "Jump off clean if he goes down!". I had lost my stirrups but managed to keep vertical and balanced, even if the saddle had rotated with Astérix and I was now sitting slightly sideways. Somehow Astérix managed to recover and I managed to stay on. Fortunately Lord had not trashed about like Astérix did, so that the other student, sitting saddless and closer to the railings, managed to stay on too. Everything ended just fine but it was all quite exciting, even fun in a masochistic sort of way - just lets not do that again :)!

After this "incident" it was tacitly agreed by all parties involved not to continue this exercise and we proceeded to do a little canter work. After the shock and excitement we'd been through Astérix was surprisingly (or maybe not!) quiet and obedient. The canter went great, it felt comfortable and smooth - exactly what I needed to gain confidence after the difficulties experienced at other times.
The other student, tired by the work without saddle (I can definitely relate with that!), asked to finish the lesson a little early. Francisco left with her and Lord and told me to keep on working by myself if I wanted to - which, of course, I did. I knew exactly what I wanted to work on with Astérix, and started with some halt-walk, then halt-trot transitions. Since canter transitions is something I never managed that well with him I worked a little on those too.
His willingness to please (and his lack of confidence) was obvious in that after getting him to canter at a certain point of the arena, all it took was a little shift in position at that point for him to jump into a canter! After some ten minutes of this I tried a halt-canter transition... that actually worked rather nice, as Astérix was cantering (in the correct lead) with just some three or four strides in walk / trot - it felt like quite an accomplishment for the two of us!

For a "relaxing" end for such a "boring" lesson I tried cantering with my eyes closed, trying to concentrate on feeling the legs and back moving. It was rather impressive, by closing the eyes I could feel a profusion of movements I had never noticed were there. I could feel the different legs moving and the impact of the hooves, even if I could not tell them apart from each other. It was an enlightening experiment, but also a short one. Astérix was being so nice that I wanted to reward him by cutting the work short. This is all just something I'll have to concentrate on in further lessons...

Pedro Fortunato
Lisbon, Portugal

Pedro,

Two things strike me about this lesson:

1/ It sounds like it was a known fact that these two horses did not get on well together and yet your instructor allowed them to be in close proximity. He did not even warn you both that there was a possible problem to be on the alert for.

2/ Your instructor left the arena with another student...leaving you alone on a horse that had just acted up?

Pardon my being blunt, but this appears irrisponsible. So many of these threads talk about nervousness/fear of being injured/actually being injured and the difficulty of recovery. Just don't understand this behavior in what should be a safe and secure environment. I've been on horses that were known to be testy if they got too close to others, so I was cautioned up front and rode accordingly. Also, I will only ride with an instructor that is always present and always attentive. I've seen too many falls and minor spooks where the instructor was instumental in keeping all the horses and riders calm and safe. Guess this is just a sensitive issue for me since my last fall and not being able to ride for at least another month because of it.

First of all, Mare-e, I'm not pardoning you for being blunt - as I see no trace of offence to be pardoned :). I understand and appreciate your concerns. The thing I hate the most about communication in writing is the inability to evaluate how my message is being received, so I can correct misunderstanding - or as is more the case - explain cultural differences.

I'll start with your second point, the easiest one to explain. I see Astérix as a rather insecure horse, he does have a couple of well known "tricks", but he is a sweet horse. He had done nothing that he hadn't done before (three times with me, at least), it had just gone wrong. I had no reason to expect any further problems, specially as all his misbehaviours are related with other horses. Being left alone (within earshot) with any of the school horses (maybe excepting Pipas...) is seen as perfectly normal for even a student with as little experience as I have (and even less). I hadn't even considered that this behaviour would be seen as odd.

Now your first point is a bit more complicated... and dead on! As I said, Astérix's "typical" behaviour was know both by me and the other student (who has ridden him several times as of late, and was very pleased that I was the one riding him that afternoon). The surprise here was Lord's behaviour. I had no previous idea that he resented Astérix, but as soon as we were side-by-side I had no doubt he did. I'm not sure if the other student was aware of the problem, I just inferred that she was, forgetting that not all students devour horsey books or have a nice informative forum in which to learn ;). In this I'm to blame as Mr. Francisco is (although, of course, I'm not the instructor!). I was well aware of the problem and doing my best to avoid it.
I think Lord's response surprised Francisco as much as it did us. I have seen up to three or four horses bunched up because one of them pulled a trick like this (usually Astérix...) without any sign of aggression. I don't know if the resentment has increased now that they are stabled out of sight of each other, without the possibility of releasing some steam over the day.

Nevertheless, for all this explanation, it is simply true that safety standards are simply appalling compared to what you are used to in English speaking countries (and most of the rest of Europe). And I'm not just talking about Francisco's school. I'm talking about everything in Portugal. We have a typical "Let it be, don't worry..." kind of attitude, that reflects itself in the dark numbers of accidental child deaths, road fatalities and work accidents :(. After the accident we were too lazy to prevent happening, we'll just use it as an excuse to sing the Fado about it... This type of behaviour also shows itself in the most positive aspects of our character, you just can't have one without the other!

Just a couple of examples of lack of safety / responsibility:

* Certified helmets are not easy to find, most children ride with "apparel" type helmets. Schools don't enforce (nor even encourage) the use of helmet for adults, and many don't. The reasons given are not of the kind "Only bad riders need them!" but more of the kind "Sooner or later I'm going to die anyway!".

* Last year a particular mounted bullfight to be seen on TV was hyped because at the end of it the son of a famous Toureiro would be tackling his first bull. The "bull" was in fact little more than a calf, but still weighting over five hundred pounds of fighting stock. The "son" was... a twelve year old boy! No helmet, no body protector, no nothing! Just the kid (small and skinny for his age) on his father's 16+hh stallions. This was generally perceived as "cute".

I guess this is all strange to you, as it was for me my first time in London with all those "mind your head", "mind the step", "mind the gap", "slippery floor" signs and warnings, fire exits that were actually useful in case of fire, etc.

Maybe Queenie can give a better insight into the Portuguese mind, being a less biased observer ;-).

Pedro Fortunato

P.S.: Brevity was a concept I never mastered :)!

Hi Pedro...glad your lessons are going good. They always crop up on New Rider when I need a good read - spooky that :)

Mare-e - Pedro's totally right about the attitude here, it's very peculiar. I've been left alone in lessons, never asked to wear a hat etc... but my experiences are different as I am a competent rider. The only exceptions I can think of when it's compulsory to wear hard hats is when taking jumping lessons or participating in a jumping clinic - then it's compulsory (to my experience). Children have to wear hard hats, and are always supervised (I can only speak of the instructors I know who teach children). I've never been told about horses I've ridden ONLY as I was riding friends horses or trying horses out for people and the joke's been on me..humph...I don't do this any more!

You do have to ask & be careful about where you choose to ride like any other country I'm sure but there are good schools and excellent trainers - you just have to find them.

However, I can't really understand the attitude to personal safety, it's almost as if people don't think about it. After the TAP/OPORTO (whatever) Rally is held in our area the amount of lunatics on the road is mindboggling, accidents are on every corner - and no one blinks nor changes their style of driving. You would think if not for yourself at least think of the other people your about to head straight into. Sorry, pet hate this and don't get me started on the conditions of the roads - correction dirt tracks with holes :) .

Pedro mentioned bull fighting, in Portugal there's part of the "show" where a group of grown men dressed in odd clothes throw themselves onto the horns of the bull and try to pull him down.....LOL :) Don't consider that safe !

Ooops better stop now otherwise lack of brevity may become a national Portuguese trait !!

Entaõ, é vida (I think that's right ?!!)

Pedro and Queenie,

Actually appreciate you taking the time to explain your views and the situation where you are. Even here in the U.S. there is still a pretty cavalier attitude about riding in some places. Some think it's cute to plop a child or adult on a horse for the first time, with no preparation or protective gear, slap the horse's rear, and yell "hang in there".

And I'm just ultra sensitive now because with my few falls and just minor injuries, I'm not sure I'll have the nerve to ride again. When I started riding I thought I'd discovered a little slice of heaven and only dreamed of how to afford more lessons and maybe a horse someday. Now I find the lack of control in the face of the unexpected brings out the worst in my "risk adverse" personality. I'm heart broken that something I love so much is now causing me so much anxiety. Will see what happens when I see if I'm allowed to ride in June. Thanks again for the feed back.

Hi Pedro, if you don't mind compliments, I would just like to say what a pleasure it is to read your chronicles and replys,not wishing to cause embarrassment,but your reply
on Part LII is worthy of compliments.

Take light of the person who is quick to roll up their sleeves in the heat of the moment,listen to the person who does not.

Hope you enjoy the hack.{i'm sure you did :cool: }
Best regards from Fred.

Pedro, I have enjoyed reading you chronicles as they sometimes remind me of my own lessons! Thanks for writing them and good luck with your lessons. :)

Pedro's chronicles

I also have enjoyed your lesson chronicles. I started last November and have especially enjoyed your honesty! You seemed to have progressed quickly. Keep up the good work from one mature beginner to another. Sharyn

Thank you everyone for your comments! And yes Fred, I did love the hack. I was on Astérix who behaved himself just wonderfully. I was counting on having that chronicle up today, but as I was fifteen minutes into it yesterday evening, there was a two hours long power failure that destroyed my plans (and fifteen minutes of work ;) ).

Mare-e, I understand and sympathise with your predicament. Although I'm pretty much fearless on horseback, I have my own fears and have at least an idea of what you're going through. I wish you all the best!
The instructors at the school are all sensitive to students with confidence problems, ironically some of the methods used and situations created to the other students, can lead them to loose confidence, and create a problem where there was none before...

Suzi, you're right about the Forcados being a hoot! I know Outrider would love to see that! Maybe I should look around for a few photos :)...
I specially like it when something goes wrong (yes, I know... I'm sadistic :)! ) and the bull just ploughs through them, with men being swept over, under and to the sides of the bull! Or at the end when one is left "water skiing" hanging to the bull's tail. All that has been an unavoidable image over the course of my life and it still feels odd that anyone would want to do that!

For all the strangeness and strong ethical questions, the equestrian art displayed in the bullring is simply astonishing!

Pedro Fortunato

Another Pedro Fan

Pedro:

Love your posts here. You write beautifully ( you could teach my high school students a thing or two!) and your diplomatic skills are excellent.

I had friends from Germany comment on how we here in the U.S. are so paranoid about safety (and tend to sue at the drop of a hat because we want someone to blame). So I guess we are the opposite of the casual Portugese!

Mare-e, my very best to you. As a fellow fairly nervous rider (my instructor's wife comments that I often look terrified. I am not aware of this, I think I am just looking focused!) I am sympathetic. I hope that you can overcome the fear that has sucked the fun out of horses for you. Fear stinks. Good luck to you.

OGM

newrider.com