Swollen Fetlock / Pastern Injury

ninklenogs

Oct 1, 2023
Horse came in hoping lame around 2 weeks ago with laceration to front pastern. Vet came out and cleaned up the wound, didnt think there was any joint involvement horse was given antibiotics and pain relief. Bandage is now off, horse is sound and has been for much of the box rest. However although the swelling in the pastern has gone down the fetlock of the leg that had the cut seems to swell up over night (there is no lameness when walking or trotting) given the antics when he was turnout out with turnout boots on he was sound and swelling was down when he was brought back in. I had hoped it would have not swollen up over night but it has - he is sound and vet said to turn out and see how he is later when he comes in. the laceration is no more than a graze just now - anyone had anything similar? Vet has said we can see if a stable bandage helps over night or would i be better turning him out over night seeing as he is sound?

I think I’d be inclined to turn out and get him moving to get the swelling down and keep it gone long enough to let everything in there tighten up again if the vet agrees that’s a reasonable course of action.

newrider.com