Starting out

Lone Ranger

Dec 31, 2016
I'm looking to start riding spurred on by a recent health scare which suggests I need more fresh air and exercise! I'm not a total novice, I started riding in my teens but progress over five or six years was infrequent, interrupted by work and family life which eventually pushed me into giving up. the last time I was on a horse was about 25 years ago.

Now over 50, I'm keen to make a fresh start but need a bit of a push to get there.There's a few things I'm uncertain about, one of which is what's the max height/ weight schools might impose? I'm 16 1/2 stone and over six feet tall.

I'd welcome any advice those who may have started late in life might like to offer.

Hi Lone Ranger, I hope you get some useful answers on here.

My suspicion is that you're going to have to ring round some schools to find one that'll take you because many have a weight limit, often 13 or sometimes 15 stone. That's not to say some horses can't carry more but schools may not have the demand to keep the sort that will. I'd say your best bet is to get in touch with ones you feel are within travelling distance, ask to talk to the owner (since staff probably have to stick to any rules) & be totally honest with them.

Where are you based? some here might be able to recommend riding schools, just a thought
I'm close to Stamford, Rutland/ Lincs/ Northants border. but travelling isn't an issue. I'll have to do some digging on schools locally and work outwards. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Hi there, I've also started back after a period of not being in the saddle and am also too big (6 foot, 14.5 stone) for many schools' stated weight limits. But if you aren't a total novice it may be worth contacting them to find out if their limits are absolute, since it may depend on how much work a horse is in and what kind. Total novices will be a lot more tiring for horses, it makes a big difference if you know how to carry yourself to some extent. Think of how much influence you can have in the saddle by adjusting your weight aids: it's the same thing as the difference between sitting like a sack of potatoes and riding in balance.

The other thing I would say is that I find riding a great motivator to improving my fitness, for my sake as well as the horse's.

newrider.com