So it's APRIL - Spring Chat

Raf developed his own pace when he was desperate to trot but asked for walk. I have no idea what it is because I can't see it. He only pulls it out of the bag very occasionally but it's always a surprise and quite pleasant so I let him do it. It's a very fast four beat pace but smooth and comfortable - a lot easier than bounce!

Please could he send the details to Luka? If I'm honest the bounce is more comfortable than whatever he's doing instead of a walk, and bounce isn't an exactly pleasant movement. I've never ridden a pace like it, I can only assume it's more comfortable for him than me or he wouldn't do it.

I wasn't sure if I had a horse today or a cross with a leopard. She's all spotty underneath.
She's mottled patches on the sides, but she looks super underneath. 😂

Well she's convinced it's summer.
I am back in a jumper with a wooly hat on.
It's sure gone nippy out there today!

I like the different shades, she could stay this colour if she wants.

collage-1714239345906.jpg

Reactions: Jessey
How’s everyone’s grass doing? I’ve been getting nervous mine seemed to have stalled with the cooler weather the last couple of weeks but the temps have definitely gone back up in the last 24 hours and it’s now warm, wet and muggy, so hopefully it will start growing again 🤞

There must be enough grass out there the cows/horses have gone from 6 bales a day right down now to one a day, and sometimes wasting that. There still rotating the top field. Monday they started there 4th pass. Eek. Not what i wanted. Ive been trying to leave more to develop the roots. Today they went into the very middle of the field, paddock. Its only small but Ive been leaving that as a monitor/watch paddock. I really wanted to not graze it. As it had masses of beautiful cowslips. I did tell them all to eat round them and leave for pollinators but the cows and horses wont listen. Lol Honestly i reackon my top field probably has a few million cowslips growing on it just now. A good million munched off as fast as they start flowering unfortunately.
So no hay out today as theyve got some lovely fresh stuff. Theres not much grass really and we are due rain the next few days so im worried it will be pugged again. I might put out another week of hay but i think that will be it till autumn. Yippee.
Just sat working out rotations. Only two sheep left to lamb but they wont be for another two weeks. So yesterday i ordered my eartags for the lambs. Just recieved email of dispatch. So fingers crossed they arrive by the weekend. Ive arranged help on Saturday to foot trim all the ewes that have lambed. Need to arrange some help to tag lambs but once thats complete as well i can move sheep to my neighbours for there summer grazing. Plenty on there. Then horses and cows can move onto the bottom field the sheep come off. Theres a reasonable amount still left on there to rotate them round. Hopefully if everything goes to plan, i will be onto the summer routine within the next 10 days. Things will be quiet.

We had our muck heap removed for the first time in almost a year when I was in hospital. The farmer who collected it drove up and down and up and down our new stretch of grazing and cut it to pieces. There’s nothing to be done but I wish they had been more careful.

• Sad
Grass definitely growing. Robin wasn't too fussed about his hay inside. Then put him out. He went to each hay box, saw they were empty and belted off up the field and stuck his head down (err robin you told me you were broken) without even shouting for his buddy.

I think I can see my grass growing, yippee. Like you @Jessey we had a brief spell of growth a few weeks ago and then it stopped when it turned cold. I know it stopped because I had put the horses on one of the rested paddocks to give them a bit of respite from the winter one. They grazed the new paddock down and that's how it stayed, no sign of any regrowth until now. I'm so relieved to see the grass growing at last. Last night (they're in overnight) there was very little haylage eaten 🐷

I’m rotating paddocks every couple of days, they just don’t seem to have been recovering as quickly as I’d seen a few weeks ago. There is plenty of grass as they’re on paddocks rested since September, I’m muzzling Jess, it’s the slow recovery that was making me nervous.

Interestingly mine are still very enthusiastic for hay at night, but I generally find they are when it’s less fiberous, plus Jess is muzzled so wants to stock up on hay overnight because she’s obviously starved during the day 😉

Well cows and horses went from ½ acre of lush grass yesterday, to 2 acres of not the best grass today. I decided not to put any hay out again today. You should of heard the protest. Looks like i will have to feed hay till i can move them to the bottom field. So only for another 10 days. But boy did they make themselves clear.

Well she's convinced it's summer.
I am back in a jumper with a wooly hat on.
It's sure gone nippy out there today!

I like the different shades, she could stay this colour if she wants.

View attachment 122708
I just quoted myself as I can't believe she has ditched the rest of her coat in five days!
It's been wet or windy, so maybe it does wash off 😂
collage-1714658829131.jpg

My sheep are just starting to shed. When we have a downpour whilst they are shedding it can rapidly releases the fibres and literally the coat falls away if they have a good shake. I go into panic when i look down the field as i see a mass of white and immediately think its a dead lamb.

Neither of mine have finished. I actually had to undo the under belly flaps on the fly sheets yesterday and empty all the loose hair out.

Last edited:
I don’t think any of my lot are done just yet, there’s still plenty of hair coming off the big ones every day, but it’s getting close now as they at least look mostly pretty sleek. The little boys are kicking out tons but are still far from finished.

newrider.com