Sat waiting for the vet

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
She's come in hoping lame, so she's done something.
My money is on an abscess. Tried to get hold of farrier she was only trimmed four weeks ago.
Its one of the fronts that she's not happy about.
She hops to move the white, but fine with the black.
Rather be safe than sorry and just get them out.

I would be the same and get them out. I
Also agree with abscess being likely. Hopefully fixed quickly.

Fingers crossed it's "just" an abscess that they can release the pressure of and she's soon a lot happier. Time seems to crawl by when you're waiting for a vet :(

Horrible though they are, an abscess is best case scenario. Painful, a nuisance but easily sorted. Glad it's nothing more sinister.

Reactions: newforest
Oh thank goodness it was an abscess (mean that in a nice way as it could have been worse couldn't it). Lots of vibes it drains and clears asap. Yes good that you got the vet putting the poultice on, they are so neat and efficient in my experience. When Joe had his abscess and lived out in the front field we paid the vet to come back several times to re-do it. Having said that he needed quite a bit of painkiller too as I remember.

Hopefully it heals up quickly, relieved to hear it's just an abscess, although still a pain

I am so relieved you wouldn't believe how relived.
She says that they have had numerous animals with it this year.
The only thing I can think of is I took her on a newly laid road surface just after a trim. It's likely a little stone got in.

What does the vet do and what makes it more effective?
I am really sorry to read this as I have loved and envied your recent pics.
She needed to be sedated to find the abscess.

The vet then put on a wet poultice, vet wrap and then lots of duct tape as she's staying out.
Its more effective because my own poultice have a tendency to fall of, plus I haven't done it for maybe ten years. .
Hopefully on Wednesday when I change it, she will let me do it.

Reactions: Skib
I'm sorry you had to call the vet but completely share your relief about the abscess. How did the vet find it? They can't just dig around at random?

I'm sorry you had to call the vet but completely share your relief about the abscess. How did the vet find it? They can't just dig around at random?
Everything was pointing to an abscess. The vet checked all the hoof with the testers and she reacted on two spots.
The vet dug a little hole at the spot that corresponded to the sand crack that had started at the front and some pus came out. You could see the black spot where it had just come from. You could also see that she has bruised the inner part, likely stepping on a stone.
For a newly qualified vet she was lovely and thorough. I also got her tetnus jab done since that was a bit over due.

@Trewsers she's not had any pain relief. The reason is that it will mask what I can see. At the moment she's noticeably lame just moving, I hope to see an improvement, ifI do but she's had pain relief she might not actually be improving, it's the bute giving me that impression.

She's been busy cooking this for a number weeks, initially she was slightly off in trot. So I rested her, then just walked thinking she's pulled a muscle.
No mum I am trying to fight an infection in my hoof. If I hop you will need to give me a hand with it.
Fingers crossed it all drains. And the farrier is due on the 1st to check everything.

I've joined the club. Ella is off work stiff so no riding for me. We repotted our grasses in the garden instead. Another labour of love.

newrider.com