Riders with Hypermobility?

Many people consider that there is a difference between "hypermobility" and "Hypermobility Syndrome". Many athletes are actually hypermobile and it is a benefit to them. Many people can be hypermobile, or have a few hypermobile joints and never ever have any problems whatsoever.
Unfortunately, some people suffer from Hypermobility Syndrome. This tends to involve other symptoms, such as chronic and acute pains, painful and inconvienient disloctions and subluxations, fatigue and a whole range of others. Hypermobility Syndrome is also a symptom of other syndromes, such as Ehlers-Danlos, Marfans, etc.

As I put above, it's a condition that has different affects from person to person. Some people live their whole lives with minimal problems, whereas others are disabled by it. As with all else in life, it comes down to the luck of the draw! :)

fortunately I do not have Marfans, though when I did the thumb sign to my physiotherapist she was extremely surprised and even quite upset for me. Fortunately, I'd had back exrays a year or so before that showed nothing wrong with my actual spine and the other assessments she did ruled it out. Hypermobility syndrome is definitely enough trouble lol!

But, like you Monsoon, no doubt I owe my life to Hypermobility - I have had more than three really bad falls, two involving landing on my head and neck with my legs over my shoulders - I should have badly injured my neck. I got up, got back on another horse and carried on, and the next day had double knees and a really, really sore neck - but other than that I was fine.

Back in my younger days when I had my knee dislocated I was diagnosed at the hospital as having 'Generalised Joint Hypermobility'. I don't know if this is the same thing as 'Hypermobility Syndrome' or something similar. I can do funny things with my fingers and thumb and stuff like that. Good for party tricks but not so good when your joints ache and creak and all the rest of it. Still i've only ever had one dislocation so I'd say i'm pretty fortunate! ;)

I have benign hypermobile joint disorder, as a child I had no real problems except for a tendency to go over on my ankles at the drop of a hat.

Now I am older I have arthritis in my spine/hips/knees and just starting in my toes/fingers.

It means I have flat feet and sacro-iliac disease.

I still ride, I have lost 15% mobility in my lower back and I ache more, i take codliver oil capsules and rarely take my prescribed meds (possibly because they have a tendency to make my stomach bleed).

It means I have to be very selective in what saddle I ride in, I cannot do treeless at all (although I have yet to try the Vogue or Fhoenix) I find that the jointed style stirrups are a godsend to ride in. I have also ordered a handmade Portuguese saddle (Pombalinho) which is the most glorious thing to ride in.

as a child I had no real problems except for a tendency to go over on my ankles at the drop of a hat.

Never mind as a kid, my ankles are worse than ever, although after breaking my ankle i am now constantly paranoid of doing it again, where as before i just got up and ignored it and got on with life!!

In fact on the night i broke my ankle, i muttered a few unmentionable words as i spilt my tea down me and walked to my car and drove it home :s As it still hurt just as much in the morning i drove myself to hospital, ended up having a cast put on and asking my little brother (learner driver) to drive me and my car home :D

Last edited:
i am mildly hypermobile too - double joints, flat feet, and i also go over on my ankles when walking in flat shoes on a flat surface. it drives me mad and i have 'windgalls' on my ankles from doing it so often. i am lucky enough that it's just annoying, and occasionally convenient, being very bendy, rather than disabling.

however, the worst bit was getting the orthotic insoles for the flat feet (one is flatter than the other and that puts my hip out of whack too) - having gone 25 years compensating, walking with non-pronated ankles promptly gave me plantar fasciitis, and now i have had to wear gel heel pads since to control it.

Fellow EDS'er here!!!

Many people consider that there is a difference between "hypermobility" and "Hypermobility Syndrome". Many athletes are actually hypermobile and it is a benefit to them. Many people can be hypermobile, or have a few hypermobile joints and never ever have any problems whatsoever.
Unfortunately, some people suffer from Hypermobility Syndrome. This tends to involve other symptoms, such as chronic and acute pains, painful and inconvienient disloctions and subluxations, fatigue and a whole range of others. Hypermobility Syndrome is also a symptom of other syndromes, such as Ehlers-Danlos, Marfans, etc.

As I put above, it's a condition that has different affects from person to person. Some people live their whole lives with minimal problems, whereas others are disabled by it. As with all else in life, it comes down to the luck of the draw! :)

Wow, I am amazed to find someone with Ehlers-Danlos on here! I was amazed enough to see Hypermobility being mentioned, but EDS is so unknown and rare that it put a big smile on my face to know that I'm not the only rider fighting it so it must be possible for me to keep going!

I have Ehlers-Danlos Hypermobility type with possible vascular type. Long story short, I was one of those people, not an athlete but a dancer, who was thought to just have acquired simple Hypermobility from competitive dance training from age 4 - sadly that isn't the case and in the past 18 months or so the disease no longer remained dormant and reared it's ugly head!
Now I can no longer dance and am in a wheelchair for any distance longer than about a block........ this started killing me and there was something missing in my life - horses have replaced that! :D

I've been having lessons now for about 2 months and am completely obsessed. Amazingly I have had zero dislocations in the saddle! Grooming and tacking up seems to be the most painful actually :p
I have an amazing trainer who won't push me more than I can handle and has taught me exactly how to prevent joint stress..... it's all in the thighs ;)
My ankles seem to be the worst actually, I have many many stress fractures throughout my bones and it seems that through riding I've found that my right ankle is riddled with em :rolleyes: !

anyway, just wanted to introduce myself here and would love love love any ideas, tips or advice on how to make riding as painless as possible for me!
I'd love to know of any HMS/EDSers experiences with jumping! I'm extremely interested in jumping but not sure if it will be right for me...

plus, it is always exciting to "meet" other EDSers, *Sez*, you don't happen to be going to the EDNF Conference in Houston this summer do you?!

Last edited:
*Sez*, you don't happen to be going to the EDNF Conference in Houston this summer do you?!
Unfortunately I'm in the UK, so Houston is a bit far for me to go! ;) I am a member of the UK's HMSA, though and hopefully if our finances improve I'll be able to go out to some of their events next year.

As for jumping, I really enjoy it, and my horse has the potential to be a cracking show jumper, but it is so much stress on my knees, ankles and lower back that it is one of those things that I only do on very good days in very small amounts, and only small heights. As with everything else, it's different for each person, and if you're keen, it's worth having a go when your instructor thinks you're ready and seeing how you get on. For me, fear of falling also plays a small part in my reluctance to jump anything substantial - I once fell onto a jump and ended up with several dislocations where I had landed across the poles, so I'm always wary that if I have a bad accident, I will need to find someone willing to look after my horse potentially for several months while I recover.

For grooming, see if you can track down some non-slip brushes. I have a Bentley Slip-Not set, and they are a god-send! Hardly any grip at all required, and I tend to stand on a little block so that I'm not stretching upwards. Bentley hoofpicks are wonderful things and ergonomically shaped so that they sit neatly in the hand. Couldn't be without mine.

Out of curiosity (I don't know what is the "norm" in Canada), but do you ride English or Western? I always wondered if Western tack would be more comfortable for EDS joints, but never met an EDS-er who had tried it.

I can jump...but im only borderline...and pretty much everytime i do i end up with having to take a week or so off riding....depends if i land funny, horse puts in a big jump etc...mum doesnt really like me jumping...id like to do dressage, but still training pony (very slowly) and some of the movements mess my baack up completly.
I am currently hating being hypermobile(as i generally do), i got hit on the head with a foot ball yesturday, within seconds could feel myself seizing up, and am walking around loooking far too striaght and stiff. I have a 2 day HDT tomorrow ^_^ so im meant to be bathing pony(hopefully mum will), cleaning harness and polishing the carriage, well im meant to be in school right now technically...but back preventing it...
then jiggling about on a carriage all weekend which had pretty much no suspension, if i were sensible, i would cancel going...
oh well thats my self pitying done, just the other night i was so proud because the muscles in my shoulders didnt seem to be seized up for the first time in about 18 months!

Do you guys go for getting on with things if your muscles have spasmed up, or lying in bed no moving? Sometimes its better when i move about, but as son as i stop it gets absolutly terrible.

Hi there, I have HMS and other related problems.

My Physio and Consultant suggest swimming, cycling ( on a good day ) and lots of "core stability" exercises to try and keep everything together!
I was told NOT to take Glucosamine/Chondroighton (sp?) supplements as my joints are already very loose and slippery and dont want to be lubricated!

I ride, but even on a good day, it is agony, particularly in both knees, but also my neck, back, one hand, both shoulders, one ankle.......:eek:

I have found the bendy stirrups to be quite good, I always get on from a mounting block, and just have to grit my teeth getting off.
The worst thing for me when I am riding are sudden, unexpected movments like a big shy, a spook, a spin, and rising trot can be unbearable.

I prefer to ride, and handle ponies rather than horses, its just so much easier for me!

There are days when even getting out of bed is a challenge, but knowing my horses/ponies are outside waiting to be fed is a good incentive.

If there is anything else you want to know, just pm me.:D

Out of curiosity (I don't know what is the "norm" in Canada), but do you ride English or Western? I always wondered if Western tack would be more comfortable for EDS joints, but never met an EDS-er who had tried it.

Well, english + western are quite equally balanced out here, but I've been learning english technique in a western saddle, if that makes any sense :p
On monday I'm moving up to an english saddle! The western helped me to gain my stability quicker but I push myself and it wasn't enough of a challenge for me ;) also the stirrups on my stables western saddle are killers :eek:!

Thanks for all the advice! Am heading to the tack shop tomorrow so will look out for those things.
oh, and you say that your lower back is stressed by jumping - do you wear a lumbar back brace at all? If you don't you HAVE to go get one right away!!!! It's a life saver - my back is the worst part of my body currently, but when riding with the brace on I don't even notice it!
(plus it makes my back look pretty and straight....... even if it is cheating a little :p)

*waves* me too, me too!! I know we've had similar threads like this but i do love a good bandwagon :D

I'm pretty sure i'm hypermobile too, it's probably what's caused my repetitive strain injury and 'adverse neural tension' described by the one and only physio i've ever seen!

Only my osteopath has ever really given me relief from it.

Bizarrely, if i go riding after a hard day in the office...shoulder killing, wrists aching etc, the physical act of riding helps, although tbh i do ache a lot afterwards, especially after a hack that's longer than one hour, or if i'm riding a strong horse (which i try to avoid because i know i'll hurt).

I do cramp up easily, i click a lot too! and have to take regular breaks mucking out. Tacking up i have learnt to be creative with...lifting a saddle with pad and numnah is too much for a big horse so i tack up one layer at a time, i tighten the girth in stages, standing on a mounting block for more effect, i don't wear gloves (apart from actually riding) because my grip is so bad that strangely it's easier to use my strength when i can 'feel' better. So i'm slower, so what? I'm fairly short so people just think that's why, but no-one has ever take the P...so far anyway :)

The strength i've been building up while i've been off work and spending loads of time at the stables has totally made up for the weaknesses i have. Luckily the horses i deal with are mostly very patient!

my daughter (9yrs) has had hypermobility (and other problems including juvenille chronic arthiritis, global devleopment delay and autism since the age of three)

Walking has always been difficult for her for extended periods of time particularly in the cold/winter. she falls over a fair bit.

However when riding she doesn't really have any major problems apart from possibly her hands as she finds holding reins sometimes uncomfortable and occasionally her finger joints give out on her (equals no brakes;)) after riding though she finds walking difficult. One of the reasons she started riding was to give her a bit more mobility and confidence.

her other hobby is dancing (various) where her hypermobility comes in handy a lot of the time:D due to her age she also likes showing everyone grusome tricks she can do with pretty much every joint in her body.

After getting my back protector my back was MUCH better! It really helps to support me, even though I do overheat with it haha! And to ATD who suggested tubigrip - THANKYOU SO MUCH. Have been riding with tubigrip on my ankles for the past two times and all I can say is WOW. No soreness, no pain, no nothing! Going to get another box for my knees tomorrow as well to see if it does the same with them!

Hi i also have hypermobility and have flat feet weak ankles and dislocating knees, my physio gave me a tape that pulls the knee cap into a sagfe place and is perfect for wearing under jogphurs as it is like a really strong paster, it will also last a few weeks, also my phyio gave me foot insoles as being fat footed puts the knee in a dangerous postition. Might be usefull to ask for these, good luck with it

I was only just diagnosed last year. I'm not double jointed or anything, just over bendy. A now famous quote from my physio "your fleixbility is beyond human range" :D I don't know what type I've got because I don't really care :rolleyes:

My Mum was diagnosed a while ago but I never thought to check, then my physio said I was so flexible that she assumed I already knew and hadn't said anything to me.

I am a ex semi-professional dancer as well as a horse rider. I started ballet when I was 2 and I've done ballet, tap and modern since then (I'm 24 now). I started horse riding for my 8th birthday.

I also did gymnastics for a while, I was about 1 when I started at a tiny tumblers class and about 10 when I stopped. I was in the heathrow squad and I still go to the heathrow gym sometimes to play with the stunt men!

Because I was always super active and I did a lot of sport that required a lot of flexibility no one thought anything could be wrong. When I dislocated both hips in a gynmastic injury and one kept going whenever I did something silly no one mentioned that having hypermobile joints, even beyond what was normal for a dancer, could be a problem.

Also, my fitness would have kept away a lot of the problems of hypermobility. I come from a family where we are all very active, strong and well muscled (although the rest of my family is all overweight now, it wasn't always the case) and I pick up muscle very very easily. Staying super strong is what kept me largely fine. So fine I had no idea until recently when I've become less fit, I only do two hours of dancing a week now due to a completely severed tendon in my ankle. It's getting stronger now but I used to do 4 hours of ballet a day! This fitness level is what kept the condition slightly hidden.

I also have a very very high pain threshold, so when I should be in enough pain to complain to the doctor I just can be bothered with the hassle.

I have spondylolisthesis, dislocated hip issues, I have a varicose vein that appeared when I was 20, clicky joints, stiff and sore in the cold, tendonitis, I walk strangely almost with a limp, I suffer with chronic fatigue (I'm nearly always exhausted and not because I lead an exciting life) etc etc

A good point is I've rarely broken bones because the rest of me just bends and stretches :p

I hurt all the time, but I always have so I've always just got on with it. My hips hurt when I ride but I think everyones do, my back hurts when the vertebrae is popped out of line if I stand for more than 10 mins, my hips and knees ache if I walk too long. I could go on and on, but because I'm used to things hurting me all the time I don't really notice.

Listen to me sounding all tough and unforgiving. I'm really not, I'm just matter of fact about it. I'm not as bad as people who dislocate things left right and centre and can barely walk. I manage fine and do everything I want to so I'm happy :)

Sez, I have elhers danlos too, I have never met anyone else with it other than my Mum! I hate it but am grateful it is not as bad as it can be for some poor people. I have never tried echinacea as a long term supplement but will try it after reading this. I take lots of glucosamine which does help. If my joints are feeling weaker than average I often wear a support thingy. Pilates seems to help but I rarely get time for it. I wish their was a cure, it makes me miserable sometimes.

Oh and have just realised Honeygirl has Elhers Danlos too! that is crazy as it is so rare. :eek: Jumping is fine for me, it is doing up the girth that is my massive problem...my thumb joint is always sliding around (and out) while i do it up :( :rolleyes:

wow! this is amazing to meet other people with EDS here :eek: :D!
and seeing as riding is a new thing for me, replacing my other passions in my life thanks to EDS (thats one thing it was good for - getting me into riding:p) it is great to get advice from other EDSers in regards to riding!

I'm going to the EDNF Conference in Texas in July so if I meet any other riders with Ehlers-Danlos I will definitely post anything of interest for you guys here :)

oh, and also, just wanted to update on the Western vs. English saddle thing in regards to pain, comfort, etc.
I've been riding English now for over a month and it is by far much more comfortable on my joints than the western saddle!
and I'm nearly ready to canter allready! :D

Definately give us details from the conference!!! And I have found something similar with saddles. Not that I have a western but I have a treeless (more like a western than english), which is a fab fit and feels like an armchair but it is not at all supoortive on any joints in my legs. (especially the ones in the middle that I hate to even name as I have genuphobia!) The horse I loan has an ordinary English saddle and it is far better for joints. Honeygirl, it is so great that you have managed to get into horse riding as a 'side effect' of EDS!:D

newrider.com