Oh, b*gger!

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
I've fractured my little finger in two places and severed a tendon. I'm not allowed to ride for at least six weeks while it's splinted, probably longer as it needs plastic surgery and I don't think they'll let me jump back on the horse straight after that. And yes I did it falling off Angel - she spooked at a jump on a sponsored ride, I went over her shoulder and landed on my feet still holding the reins - that's what broke me I think as she tanked off with me still hanging on. My pride was damaged but my confidence was fine, but I've been told I need all this time off riding and I feel gutted to be honest. I am tempted just to get back on anyway but I also need that finger! And it's a mess, the end is hanging off due to the severed tendon. I also left it five days before getting it seen to, which hasn't helped. Arrrgh! So yes this is a blatant plea for sympathy really - and has anyone else done this and can I get back on or would that just be really stupid?!

I did exactly the same when I was in secondary school ago but embarrassingly I tripped up a kerb and tried to catch myself on one finger and my head :oops:

It was also disclocated so very yucky but I didn't need surgery luckily. Had it splinted for 8 weeks and then physio. It's okay but never quite straightens fully.

Parents didn't allow me to ride!!

Reactions: squidsin
Oh nooooo!!! Yes it would be stupid to not let the finger heal. You really DO need a finger! Heal strong. Angel will still be there in a couple of months.

Bugger! Time to change her name? "Angel"??? My arse :p

Why did you leave it so long before seeking medical attention?

Bugger! Time to change her name? "Angel"??? My arse :p

Why did you leave it so long before seeking medical attention?
The paramedics at the ride put it back in (it was also dislocated) and said it was broken but said there was nothing that could be done about a broken finger. I thought they were telling the truth! But when it went black and I couldn't straighten it, I thought I'd have to get it seen to. I told the nurse what the paramedics said and she was furious! I would have gone straightaway but didn't want to waste anyone's time!

I snapped my finger tendon last October, left it 5weeks til I got it seen to! Had it splinted for 10weeks, didn't go back for the follow up appt as I was worried they'd make me keep it splinted or operate as it was still very swollen and hanging downwards. But a week after taking the splint off and just using it as normal all pain had stopped and swelling gradually went down, its pretty much 90% straight-ish now.
My RI refused to take me in lessons so I just hacked out on my own with it splinted:rolleyes:

ooooh ouch ouch ouch, poor you!!!! Take your time and let it heal, it could have been so much worse. Hope you feel better soon x

Bugger! Time to change her name? "Angel"??? My arse

Love it. That made me laugh.

Ouch ouch ouch. I think with a fracture and sever and surgery you should let it heal.
I'm still suffering 2 weeks after stubbing my little toe on the dog crate, then 2 days later billy stood on the same toe. It was black but that's gone, but i am in a lot of pain. I can move it so it ain't broke, I'm still riding, but walking is painful.

Love it. That made me laugh.

Ouch ouch ouch. I think with a fracture and sever and surgery you should let it heal.
I'm still suffering 2 weeks after stubbing my little toe on the dog crate, then 2 days later billy stood on the same toe. It was black but that's gone, but i am in a lot of pain. I can move it so it ain't broke, I'm still riding, but walking is painful.

Pretty sure you can still move broken toes.

Reactions: orbvalley
Ouch, sounds nasty. I would say do as you're told! What I would actually do is entirely different, lol, have they said when your surgery will be?
I imagine it would be difficult to ride while you're wearing the splint anyway.
It's horrible not being able to do what you want to, totally understand and trust me the frustration you feel right now is going to get worse as the pain gets better. :(
Lots of finger healing vibes and anti frustration vibes coming your way.

Writers need all their fingers working. So wise to take a break. Plus physio will get the mobility back. Physio for hands is not dramatic but I know from s i l after bike accident it is important and takes everything gradually. So sorry you fell off tho.

Ouch! A friend did the exact same thing hanging on to the reins when she came off but only had soft tissue damage and dislocation, splinted, it healed well. A few weeks off riding now could save you years of pain if it doesn't heal properly, saying that I'd probably still plod in low risk situations :oops: as long as she isn't one who needs lots of contact

Ouch! A friend did the exact same thing hanging on to the reins when she came off but only had soft tissue damage and dislocation, splinted, it healed well. A few weeks off riding now could save you years of pain if it doesn't heal properly, saying that I'd probably still plod in low risk situations :oops: as long as she isn't one who needs lots of contact
No, she doesn't, I think she'd be OK if I ride her in the school, which she's happy in and is about as low risk as it gets. (I'll give it at least a couple of weeks though. My finger hurts at the mo!)

Reactions: Jessey
And you could learn to lunge and lead her left handed (assuming it's your right that is buggered).

What a horrible thing to happen, only sympathy from me, no criticism!

Oooh loads of sympathy! Eeeeeek I am cringing thinking about your finger from the description.......lots of healing vibes coming!!! I would be proper poorly sick with a shawl wrapped round if I had done that!

I also rode after only 6 weeks when I was told that my ribs would take 9 or 10 months to heal. I never asked about riding so to me ignorance was the key :cool::p

newrider.com