My mare causing problems at gate

Rosie1994

Jun 16, 2007
My mare is currently living out 24/7 and shares a field with two of my friends horses. Up until last week, there were also another 2 in the field, but they have moved off. (we are on DIY livery). The grass has gone down quite a lot now. My mare stays out all the time, but I do get her in every day either to ride or just be fed. She has a feed and hay while shes in. She is a good doer, so limited grass suits me fine. The other two come in either for about 5 hours in the day, or they keep them overnight depending on the weather. This means mine is left on her own. I dont like leaving her in a long time, as she has sweet itch and its much more manageable to have her out. If left in she will rub and rub. She has other horses in fields either side of her, so is fine in that she has company close by. The problem is she is now trying to get out of the gate, when the others try and catch their horses. Just out of the field gate, is a field of wheat, which must be very tempting. She did manage to get past me the other day, when I was wheeling a barrow out of the muddy gateway. She has always been the dominant one in the herd. In winter she always wants to come in first, but has never really barged through gates. She is bossy with horses, but not usually a problem with people. My friend is upset as she tried to get out today, resulting in my friend falling over in the mud. She has said we need to do something and that she is dangerous.
I have explained that she is getting fed and getting hay. She was in for 1 1/2 hours tonight, but was then ready to go out. She has always been a horse that prefers to be out anyway. Obviously I dont want anyone to get hurt, but at the end of the day she is a horse. I have said I cant change her temperament. She is clever enough to know that, the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Is there anything I can do to discourage her from hogging the gate, especially for other people. It has quite upset me today I just want everyone to be happy. I am off work now, so plan to have her in for longer while I'm around, or I can feed her in the field when shes on her own. Dont want her to have too much extra though. There is grass, but she has it in her head that she wants to get out for the better stuff!

ok

my mare is exactly the same, but we have a system to manage her and it works

she wears a leather headcollar, or i leave one by the gate, so when someone wants their horse out, they catch her, tie her to the fence, (baling twine already in place) take out their horse and release her.

This worked so well that they now dont have to tie her up as she now goes and stands by the baling twine to be tied as that is now what she expects.

No one minded doing that, they were able to get their horse out safely and no escapees.

Maybe you could try something like that.

Thanks for that, seems like a good idea and something that would only take a minute or so for the others - will suggest that tomorrow! Have never had this problem before and I've had her 13 years!

newrider.com