Lump on horse

Katie333

Apr 18, 2022
Has anyone ever seen a lump like this? She doesn’t have a temperature and has had vet out to see her. Vet has suggested to cold horse and give danillon for a few days and see if it goes down. She’s an old girl and she’s moving very stiff and slow with it. The lump is solid at the bottom and a little more soft at the top. IMG_8328.jpeg

Attachments

• EC5FC7F6-EEF5-475B-94B2-C69621273CC8.jpeg
    EC5FC7F6-EEF5-475B-94B2-C69621273CC8.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 3
It could be a bad reaction to a fly bite. As well as cold hosing it may help to hold a cold compress against it if you have time, and with an old lady that will avoid water running down her legs and potentially making her joints stiff.

What did the vet think it was? How long has she had it? Did it appear slowly or overnight? Does it pit when you press it? Is it sore when you do that?
Best thing really is to follow the vet’s instructions and give them a call for more if it doesn’t go down after a week.

Deffo not kicked as only with a little pony in the field. Vet basically said it’s nothing good. Thinks could be a tumor, fracture or torn muscle etc. I am not fully sure if it came up slowly or not but it’s been a solid lump for three weeks now. Doesn’t seem to be sore when I push it.

I would have expected that if the vet thought a fracture was a possibility they'd have x-rayed immediately, though it doesn't look to be on a bony area in the photo (but that could be the angle of the shot). I'd want a more definite diagnosis than you've been given, basically he's suggested three different but serious options bit not done tests to identify which (if any) it is or come up with a treatment plan that's relevant to the diagnosis. If you went to A&E for yourself and they said it could be one of those options but just run it under the cold tap a few times a day and take some aspirin you wouldn't be at all happy!

Torn muscles normally feel soft and hot initially and are sore, after the initial injury they go cold and don’t hurt as much but are still soft in my experience, but in places like that they normally get torn by an impact like a kick.
Older animals can get random fatty lumps for no apparent reason, those feel hard and aren’t painful but they build up slowly and there’s usually nothing to be done about them.
If the lump is hard, cold, not painful, not pitting and not changing, on an old horse I wouldn’t be booking an emergency vet appointment, but I’d want a proper diagnosis next time they’re out.

Reactions: carthorse
Torn muscles normally feel soft and hot initially and are sore, after the initial injury they go cold and don’t hurt as much but are still soft in my experience, but in places like that they normally get torn by an impact like a kick.
Older animals can get random fatty lumps for no apparent reason, those feel hard and aren’t painful but they build up slowly and there’s usually nothing to be done about them.
If the lump is hard, cold, not painful, not pitting and not changing, on an old horse I wouldn’t be booking an emergency vet appointment, but I’d want a proper diagnosis next time they’re out.
I was thinking fatty lump, my poodle has one.

Yeah the vet has been already but we had decided if it was something major we wouldn’t operate due to her age. This was why she suggested a few days of danillon (2 in morning and 1 at night) and then cold hosing again. She’s also had days of bad arthritis over the last few months so I’m trying to decide if it’s now time to PTS 🙁

Yeah the vet has been already but we had decided if it was something major we wouldn’t operate due to her age. This was why she suggested a few days of danillon (2 in morning and 1 at night) and then cold hosing again. She’s also had days of bad arthritis over the last few months so I’m trying to decide if it’s now time to PTS 🙁
Its the worst part of horse ownership, but it's true we really do know in our gut when it's time xx Can the arthritic days be managed with some danilon/bute?

our 33 year old donkey had multiple dodges with death, and being packed full of pain relief did the job for her till she finally had to go. fingers crossed it helps

newrider.com