Leg yielding, turns on forehand/haunches - from the ground?

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Want to introduce some lateral work and stuff to Joe from the ground but have never attempted this before - anyone got any tips please?

I do lateral work with June and the best advice I can give it to teach move over from the ground first. June knows over means exactly that! Move over,
Incorporating it into lateral work was easy. Leg yielding we started on the quarter line of the school and just asking for 1 or 2 steps while moving forwards and built it up.

Shoulder in the same - set her up on the long side, ask for 1 or 2 steps, straighten up. Repeat adding more steps into it.

Although we haven't attempted TOTF or TOTH! On my to do list

Start with one or two steps first.

We have started quarters in from a small circle.

There are books you can get that give you various tips . The 101 horsemanship exercises is a good start. Be patient and take your time.

I found you could be doing turn on haunches everytime you go through a gate anyway. Well mine does because she knows to turn and line up next to it again.

Thanks, laydees.... he already moves to "over" when I'm grooming him so hopefully he'll transfer that to "work" :happy:

I second the 101 horsemanship exercises. :) Pressure and release works wonders. Ask, up the pressure of the ask if they don't respond and then release the moment they do as you ask. The quicker the release of pressure the quicker they learn.

Good on you! We do all the lateral work on the ground with our RI and it's great.

Use a lunge cavesson and lead rope and a schooling whip. You use your hand on the rope close to the cavesson to move the head/shoulders. You use the whip very gently where your leg would go to move the quarters. From this position you should be able to go most moves.

Our regular routine before we ride is: walk 4 counts, back 4 counts, move shoulder off track and shoulder in 8 counts, push nose away from you and do a half pirouette to change direction, counter shoulder in 8 counts, push nose away to finish pirouette.

The basic commands, other than moving away from the whip where your leg goes, include to halt put your whip on top of the hind quarters and say halt. To go back turn your body flip lightly to face your horse apply pressure on the rope and waggle the whip up and down next to him while saying back.

For turn on the forehand use a cone placed in front of you for the horse to focus on, it makes it much easier.

It's addictive stuff once you start, we start in walk and the progress to trot, piaffe, half pass etc. it does wonders for their top line and flexibility and you only need to do 5 mins a day.

I have some videos I need to post from our last demo so I'll try to get them done so you can see it in practise :)

Ooooh, yes PLEASE!!!!! :dance:

(And thank you for the advice AND vote of confidence)

Ooohhh I have literally just started this at the advice of the lady helping me school S.

E showed me what to do, working on applying pressure to just behind where her girth would be while controlling her head and releasing as soon as she responds, my wee girl is learning quick and already feel a huge diff when riding her, also using pressure/release on her shoulders to get her turning on the forehand.

Once you've mastered the basics there is a fantastic book, "Schooling exercises in hand", which shows you how to do leg yield, travers, renvers etc. Real high school stuff.

Once you've mastered the basics there is a fantastic book, "Schooling exercises in hand", which shows you how to do leg yield, travers, renvers etc. Real high school stuff.

Is that the Hilberger book, Jane&Ziggy? I've been using that, and it's brilliant. But very technical - I had to have help from my RI before I could make sense of it. We've just started lateral stuff ...

just bumping this as i am interested in any books which i can use to teach turn on forehand, leg yield and basic lateral work to inhand then progress to ridden...for horses (and handlers!)who have no previous experience

just bumping this as i am interested in any books which i can use to teach turn on forehand, leg yield and basic lateral work to inhand then progress to ridden...for horses (and handlers!)who have no previous experience
Yes, me too....

I really would recommend the Hilberger "Schooling exercises in hand" for all lateral movements. He only teaches in the book up to shoulder-in but indicates how the same methods can be used for up to and including half pass.

It is damn hard to do though in the bridle!

newrider.com