Is this really happening?! - UPDATE

Congratulations! That is great news. Such a big change is bound to be scary but I’m sure you can overcome all the practical difficulties x

Reactions: MrA
Wow, I am just so, so happy for you. You are going to love it! Don’t think of student finance as debt, it is just the way the system works now. You will manage to juggle everything and at the end of the course you can go into a job that you will love. This is where it all starts. Well done for getting that place, now go and buy a little car and get prepared. How exciting this will be for you.xx

Thank-you everyone! I'm really excited however as I have until 12th July to get back to them I'm going to also apply to a different college and hopefully get an interview there. I would just like a comparison of course content and job outcomes if I take a slightly different route. It would still be a degree of the same level. Just a slightly different one.

So I'm going to get that application all sorted over the next couple of days and see if they also offer me an interview. Fingers crossed! It's great to have a place already secured but I just want to have a look at this other place as its been playing on my mind.

So happy for you ! Sounds like you have a wonderful opportunity. Enjoy:Dand don't be scared either, as others have said, it's just the way it all works with the money bit and in the future it will all be sorted. Keep us posted:)

Go you :cool: - big changes are afoot!
Don't worry about the loan. As others have said it's not like a normal debt. FYI I finished uni in 2006 and still haven't had to pay back a penny of mine - the income threshold for the older ones is £16,000 p/a and I haven't even come close to earning that. Only another 28 years of poverty to go before my student debt gets completely written off :p

Fantastic Ale. So happy for you. You need to rewrite the word 'debt' in your head to 'graduate repayment scheme'. The threshold is now £25,000 a year before you pay back ANYTHING. Scary news articles about student 'debt' etc are just silly. No-one is in 'debt' in the normal sense of the word - ie an obligation that hangs over you no matter what your circumstances and even if you are struggling to pay. It is just like an extra tax on earnings. Comes straight out of your payslip along with other taxes and national insurance. So you never even see the money. Or have to think about it.

Reactions: domane and MrA
Thank-you everyone, sorry just a quick reply as heading off for my last evening course lesson shortly :D but I wanted to say thank-you for all the reassurance and guidance. I have lots of people who I have spoken to about all of this, family, colleagues and a friend but none of them have been as supportive or helpful as all of you on here! I'm not great with big changes and had a little bit of a meltdown yesterday thinking about it all, but in the long run its the right thing to do and I'm lucky to have the opportunity. Just a bit scary at the same time! I'll keep you posted when I hear back from the other college, hopefully I'll get an offer there too and can then weigh up the pros and cons.

Isn't it 18 years for you @joosie ? Debt wipes after 30 years? Or has that changed since you graduated?

It's after 25 years if your first academic year with a loan was 2005 or later. Mine was 2003 which means the other rule applies - written off when I'm 65. I was thinking it was 60, but I've just checked, so scratch my last comment, I have to be poor for another 33 years :p

Reactions: KP nut
Thank-you everyone, sorry just a quick reply as heading off for my last evening course lesson shortly :D but I wanted to say thank-you for all the reassurance and guidance. I have lots of people who I have spoken to about all of this, family, colleagues and a friend but none of them have been as supportive or helpful as all of you on here! I'm not great with big changes and had a little bit of a meltdown yesterday thinking about it all, but in the long run its the right thing to do and I'm lucky to have the opportunity. Just a bit scary at the same time! I'll keep you posted when I hear back from the other college, hopefully I'll get an offer there too and can then weigh up the pros and cons.

Of course you are going to have a wobble about it every now and again. It is huge life change, it will be a challenge in every way possible. But just think of the enjoyment, focus and direction this is going to bring to your life. I have no doubt at all that you will succeed and in a few years time you will be in a job you love and it will become apparent that this was the best decision you ever made.

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
Thanks @GaryB I know if I don't go for this now I'll always be kicking myself, it's such a fantastic opportunity!

Reactions: GaryB
I'M GOING TO COLLEGE IN SEPTEMBER :D:D:D

I'm very excited to say that I've got into my second choice as well and I've just accepted the offer there as it seemed perfect for me. Student finance is all sorted and although I'm a little bit nervous about the whole debt thing still even though you have all reassured me a thousand times its not really debt! I'm sure it'll sink in eventually and I'll stop worrying!

I found out today that they are giving me a £7k maintenance grant :eek: this seems too much, I don't know whether that's a silly thing to say. Am I okay to accept this money even though I'm working alongside the course to keep myself really.

It would mean I would get a car again without worrying so much about funding it myself. And there is an overseas research trip at the end of year one it could also pay for.

Eek :):confused:

Brilliant news! Well done you. I'm so pleased for you and it's so well deserved - you are an inspiration.

An overseas research trip sounds awesome. You are going to have such a great time :D

Well done!
Definitely take the money... Never look a gift horse in the mouth! It's probably being offered because you're an adult and not being funded by your parents.

Reactions: MrA and orbvalley
Wow, well done. Absolutely definitely take the money without a moments hesitation! You can save it until you need it, but as you don’t even start to pay it back until you are earning 25 grand it would be madness to turn it down.

I am so excited for you.

newrider.com