Is it just us...

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
...with no grass?
I have seen several posts on forums recently about having too much grass. We have the opposite problem.
I have never known the grass stop growing before, but we have had a very long stretch of hot weather with very little rain. The grass just isn’t growing enough. I have had to start putting hay out again. And there is a shortage of that too.
The weeds, however seem to be thriving!

Out grass is the longest and lushest I have ever seen it. Ideally Ben would be out 24/7, but I am bringing him in for a full 12 hours during the day as I am worried he will explode if he gets any fatter!

I have seen a lot of chatter about hay not growing well in some areas, but round here I wouldn't be surprised if they get 3 cuts, they already have 1 off.

same here

i harrowed one of our fields 4 weeks ago and since then we have had no rain at all and its not grown a single mm

Far too much grass here - they are like hippos and just not enough bare ground now to safely leave them on. :( I have had all the fields cut now for hay just to get rid of the stuff. Hard to grow and harvest good hay here in Ireland - this year it will be coming out of our ears, and probably hard sold as everybody is stuffing their barns full around our way at least. Trying not to grumble as this weather is the first good summer stretch for perhaps 5 years now :O

Reactions: squidsin and Jessey
Ours is growing steadily. Our fields are not fast growing though. The recent rain has put a bit more bottom in it as it was looking on the thin side. A couple of people this week have cut for hay but it's too overcast to make really at the moment.

Luckily we've moved onto rested long headland.
But the other fields are definately growing. But been rested a month now though.

I took a walk around my fields yesterday and the grass has stopped growing! Looking from the distance its looks like there is grass but on close inspection it is very sparse. We need some rain, never thought I would be saying that lol

I took a walk around my fields yesterday and the grass has stopped growing! Looking from the distance its looks like there is grass but on close inspection it is very sparse. We need some rain, never thought I would be saying that lol

It doesn't seem two minutes since you were posting pics of your waterlogged fields!

We're a bit the same - the grass went wild and grew like fury and there's still loads in Raf's paddock because he couldn't keep up with it. For a few weeks we had perfect growing weather - warm but with occasional rainy days - but we haven't had any rain for a while now and everything is dry and dusty. It isn't warm though so at least we don't have melting tarmac to contend with!

Reactions: joellie
We have enough to feed all the horses on this forum for the next two months haha

i remember years ago my nan saying something about weeds taking all the grass water and nutrients....miv possibiy got that slightly wrong as its only a vague memory, something to do with the hindering gras growth anyway

newrider.com