Irish Cobs/Traditional Cobs

calvo

Dec 29, 2007
Cumbria
dragcave.net
who out there competes a Irish Cob/Traditional Cob in Dressage?

What level do you compete and what the scores do you usually get? How often do you see other cobs at shows?

Is there alot of judges out there who tend to mark you down because 'it doesnt belong in the arena' or are more judges becoming more accepting (Ive heard mixed views)

Thanks for reading :)

I own a Welsh Cob.... My trainer showed her welsh cob up to PSG (lance).. I am bringing mine out there in first and second level next year...

There are some judges who want to see the big warmbloods in the high levels. But he is amazing... just gorgeous. She has been screwed over on some scores for the breed. I have not yet.

She also was showing a horse for a welsh cob breeder.(pryderi) He was green so he only did training level. He was a stallion- he got EXTREMELY high marks.
The cob is a very nice breed. The stallion could have gone grand prix if the breeder would have kept him with my trainer.

here are some pictures...

My horse and me (first show for him):
6kac9j4.jpg

Lance:
81itk79.jpg

Pry:
7yg5z7k.jpg

I've got a chunky traditional x Welsh D (she's a big girl with approx 10 inches of bone) who I've been competing at unaff prelim and novice - given her a year off before we get to elem. we usually get 60/70% or so. If she's behaving we always get placed with some super comments, it's funny what people say about what judges want to see because I find I get snootier remarks from lower level judges than list 2 judges say! I've had some wonderful comments from list 2 judges and some really snotty ones from list 6 - funny isn't it!!

i've an irish cob. Can't compete him coz he goes bananas when i take him anywhere :rolleyes: but at home he's working at elementary. There is a traditional coloured cob competes locally (BD dressage) who's absolutely stunning and rarely out of the ribbons :)

I think judging prejudice isn't as bad, well it certainly isn't up here. You see all sorts in the ring and a lot of competitions i've helped out at actually split dressage classes into native and non-native so i think that's really encouraging for cob/native owners :)

wow!! you all have made me really want to take my lil cob out! I have a lesson with a new trainer on fri night so will ask her then if were both ready to start dressage (I hope so :)) I will try and get some piccies so you can see the lil cobbie wobbie..lol

I was wondering if there was more pictures or videos of Pre level dressage out there - cant seem to find any

I would love to hear more experiences about the cobs as possibly some other heavy breeds with feathers :)

Here's Lucy & me doing prelim. We've had a bit of a long break as no school to practise in, but are hoping to progress once the ground dries up again :D.

lucy+trot.jpg

anna+on+lucy+canter+2.jpg

P9270055.JPG

We only compete local level at the moment, but are doing quite well and usually bring a ribbon home :D.

WOW - I LOVE LUCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She is gorgeous!!!!

Just a point to bring up as we're talking about competing heavier horses, alot of horses you see at dresage comps are lean TB types or very tall warmbloods, however, look at the andulucian - the undisputed dressage horse of the world! Big strong neck, deep girth and all round fairly chunky!!!

Could you ask the same question in a few months time?:p I am planning to dip my toes into the wurl of competition. I have a coloured Irish Cob mare who I have been schooling along classical Dressage principles. Our progress is slow without a teacher, but we have definately got somewhere ;)

I would like to take her up to a high level, as determined to see other breeds in biggers comps rather than just the WB :eek: Again, I do hear it can be down to breeds. However, I have heard it is possible to get our cobby lobs to a good height :D

Take a bash at it, you never know! At the end of the day, if you have both had fun, thats fab! :cool:

Attachments

• Schooling.JPG
    Schooling.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 54
Will ask ya again in a few months time! :) lol I willd defo have a lil bash at it :)

I have heard that the irish cob in Your Horse does really well.. is he competing medium level? I think I have this mag lying around somewhere

soot - wow!! shes gorg! looks so elegant!

anymore out there?

I have a very very heavy coloured cob (affectionatly named tractor by my farrier) and we compete at local prelim level and should be starting novice this summer.

I rarely find the judges make derogatory comments, even when on my first ever test kal bucked his way in to canter flattened a marker then proceeded to the corner of the arena to munch a peice of hay he had spotted with mummy hanging round his neck. Most embarrasing I can tell you.

I did find it a bit intimmidating at first and stilll do a little when I go to new places and people don't know us. But believe me their is nothing better than people watching him work and saying " wow he works beautifully, I had no idea!"

Give it a go girl, it doesn't matter what type of horse you have, its about having fun.

Will try scan some pics of us!

Puzzle -aka - "The Puzzler"

I have a M/W 14.2hh Irish traditional cob gelding who is doing amazingly in dressage atm.
Prelim - 60%-70%
Novice 60%-65%.
he loves it out at shows and i always get positive comments. We have qualified for trailblazors and uk chasers and riders dressage, he is competing in pony club dressage novice level and the riding schools challenge.

"Lets hear it for our traditional cobs in dressage, SHOUT OUT!!!!"
wuvvies my pony.

What do you think??

Attachments

• DSCI0006.jpg
    DSCI0006.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 46
  • emeline [] halt G P12.jpg
    emeline [] halt G P12.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 43
  • emeline canter 1.jpg
    emeline canter 1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 54
  • emeline flying trot.jpg
    emeline flying trot.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Picci-0bm.jpg
    Picci-0bm.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 31
I did prelim & novice with my old heavy coloured cob. He got 78% twice at prelim! He got in the 60s for novice & got placed. Here are a couple of pix of him.

DSC03067.jpg

JS2wee.jpg

A very old one of him, no feathers!

jstrot.jpg

Last edited:
I did prelim & novice with my old heavy coloured cob. He got 78% twice at prelim! He got in the 60s for novice & got placed. Here are a couple of pix of him.

DSC03067.jpg

JS2wee.jpg

A very old one of him, no feathers!

jstrot.jpg
omg i love your coloured hes soo cute lol!

hey calvo

i have i traditonal cobs who i use for dressage and we are now looking into prelim now as we have completed our beginners wak and trot test.

i think some judges like to see cobs and some dont but when i go out to my local shows judges do like my horse because he's different to look at than looking at the warmblood/thoughbred types.

we are very popular at our shows and do win quite a bit :)

Last edited:
Hi!:)

I do Interdresage comps on my heffalump cob, Dora. My student used to do all the walk and trot tests on her, I've just had a go at a style and performance test on Dora - no results yet!! She regularly scored between 60-67% at walk and trot.

Hey eventerbabe - if your horse is a bit bananas, it doesn't mean you can't compete him...try Interdressage www.interdressage.com - I regularly compete Paul's Hungarian Sportshorse mare, who is TOTALLY PSYCHOTIC! Interdressage means I can practice the test and get filmed for my class on a day she is behaving - without leaving the yard! :)

There's some gorgeous horses on this thread! :D

I have just started competing in dressage on my h/w youngster- starting at prelim and hoping to move up through the grades- he has the ability and paces but sadly not the attitude at the moment to do well- he gets so over excited at competitions at the moment it is a struggle to keep him on the ground. Despite this we always get great comments for his paces and my trainer who competes in high level dressage loves him to bits.

newrider.com