how would you define a nervous nellie?

minkersmum

Aug 4, 2009
Scotland
I've always considered myself a nervous nellie. BUT recently ive met people much more nervous and wonder if my nerves not so bad as i once thought.

Do i sound like a nervous nellie or just a sensible beginner;)

I feel nervous and excited everytime before i ride. Not once i'm riding just before. Like butterflies. Not sure if this happens because i'm so excited (sad git) or nerves.

I'm not more nervous if its a horse i've never ridden or one i know to be more forward.

I love cantering. If i had a lesson/hack without a canter id be disappointed.

I love a good gallop altho haven't had the opportunity to gallop for sometime.

Been told i have nice relaxed position/look when riding by RI

I am nervous about riding BIG horses, always think there is such a great distance to fall.

I feel nervous on a horse with poor brakes or who is spooky.:eek:

I know i'm a beginner/novice but do i sound like a nervous nellie??

Sometimes when i've been to places for a hack i feel i've sold myself short as i ham up the nerves to them and then it end up being a bit boring and i'm dying for more.:D

Bit of a pointless thread but thought id ask anyway:)

Perhaps you could devise some sort of nervous-o-meter!

You sound as though you have a healthy amount of nerves for an adult novice. I'd expect a younger learner to have less nerves in general. I guess the key is have the nerves ever stopped you doing anything you wanted to do?

Perhaps I should add that this is coming from a confident speed demon with a general lack of understanding for nervous nellies, that's not to say I dont empathise, I just find it hard to sympathise!

Only thing my nerves stop me doing is rushing out and buying a horse of my own, oh and riding my friends 17.2hh 5 year old. Thats it.

Well I think you should leave the Nervous Nellie Club immediately/!!!!:mad:;)

I'm too embarrassed to list ALL the things that make me nervous:eek: Dont think the web page is long enough to list them all actually!:rolleyes:

Looking at your tiny little list Minkersmum - I think you just sound like a sensibly cautious type of rider to me.

And I've been riding - ahemm - 57 years to be precise so I have NO excuse now have I??? But have to add that once upon a time in the never never land of youth and health I was scared of absolutely nothing - wasn't a horse that silly girl wouldn't eagerly climb on!:D..........wanders off to dream nostalgically of her golden days :eek:

contranza, i could have written that post!! op, you sound like a sensible person who knows her own skills and limitations and is comfortable with them. i too tend to dramatize how i feel about somethings but if im honest, its because once i say it, or laugh about it, i dont think about it anymore, and im a drama queen anyway. i am a great "what if-er" , but once i am on a horse or in a cart, i am totally relaxed and forget all about what ifs; its common sense to think ahead. as for the butterflies before you ride; do you think thats just anticipation of something you like doing. i dont think you are a nervous nellie at all.

Mm maybe not describing ALL my little bits that make me feel i qualify as nervous nellie material.

I'm fine when im on a horse that is doing what its meant to do but when they are napping i lack confidence and on some horses they seem to do something that makes me feel like i am not holding onto the contact very well, could this be that some tuck their head right in or throw it up in the air. Not sure as too much of a novice to know the technical stuff but there are definitely a few i've ridden where i feel like depite having a nice contact all of a sudden they are cutting corners and speeding off and i have little contact depite not having let my reins lengthen. I've not got a clue eh?

It doesn't make me nervous as such just feel frustrated. I think also i've had such conflicting advice about how much of a contact i should have. I always try to be as light and gentle as possible on the horses mouth and i think i do this ok. I feel most of the time i have good enough contact to get what i want but now and then, like when i'm on a nappy horse i find i can't get them going where i want and part of me is afraid to use to much rein contact probably because i'm afraid i'll hurt them and then they'll hurt me!!

Sounding more nervous?? Definitely more novice i'm sure!!!

It definitely is confusing tho having dif advice at dif schools. One RI even told me i could never have too much of a contact. I asked her how i'd know if i had too much of a contact and she said 'if its head dissappears between its legs you'll know'. I mean i might be a novice but even to me this made me raise my eyebrows.

newrider.com