how big is too big?

whizdiz

Apr 18, 2024
hi all, im just coming in with a question/looking for opinions really — what is too big a size/height difference between horse and rider? obviously i understand this is very subjective and a bit of a ‘how long is a piece of string’ question, but anyway. i’ve been offered the ride on a horse over the summer who sounds quite ideal for what im looking for, but he’s 17.3 and quite big built (draft type — more body than legs really!), while im 5’3 or 5’4 roughly.

i have previously ridden 17-17.2 horses and quite enjoy them as i do like a big horse in general, but these have been more light draft/big bodied warmblood types as opposed to a bigger draft type horse. he is an absolute gentleman on the ground from everything i hear (both from owner and those i know who live nearby) but i am very conscious that i dont want to over-horse myself, quite literally! particularly as my previous loan was 15hh (though i am regularly riding bigger types alongside)

really just looking for thoughts, experiences (good or bad), opinions, advice for dealing with bigger horses, that kind of thing!

Firstly I would actually try them and see what I felt.
If they are the right horse for you, then their size won't be an issue.
The only thing that stands out already is you are concerned about how big they are, if you are already concerned that might not leave you.

From my perspective me a 17.3hh draft type is really huge and it's just not something I need to be riding or managing.

Reactions: carthorse
If he’s kind and well mannered then the size is irrelevant, a 13hh pony is just as able to overpower a person as a 18hh one, it’s the personality and training that matters. Drafts are generally gentle giants, so that wouldn’t put me off.

Reactions: Huggy and carthorse
I have always had small horses/large ponies, but I've ridden several very large draught horses and they have all been gorgeous, gentle, obedient and a lovely ride.

Like @newforest, though, I wouldn't want to have to care for one on a daily basis. My horse Sid lives with an Austrian Noriker, a light draught breed. She is only 15.2 (still growing!) and a sweetie, but she produces waaaaay more poo than 14.3 Sid. And the size of her feet! They are a lot of work.

Reactions: Huggy and carthorse
I agree with @newforest , it's more a case of how you feel but if you're having doubts already there's a good chance this isn't the horse for you. The heavier built draughts don't tend to have the big athletic paces that can throw you about, but if anything does go wrong you have a lot of horse to be dealing with. Realistically any rider who isn't very tall is likely to look small on him so I wouldn't let the image bother me.

a 13hh pony is just as able to overpower a person as a 18hh one,
I was going to say the same. A Shetland without manners is very difficult. I always avoided bringing Shetlands in from the field but was happy with big warm bloods. Riding and handling horses is very personal. If you are paying to ride, shop around.
If this is free riding, it might add to your repertoire. But on this forum and in life, rider safety is the over riding concern. If this horse doesnt fit you and doesnt attract you, dont ride it.
I have never owned a horse but I have on two occasions decided against riding a particular horse.

It may be worth considering if you can remount if you have to get off when hacking. Harvey is only 17hh, but I can't sensibly (without putting a lot of pressure on his back) get on from the ground - I have to find a gate etc to climb on which can be tricky with bridleway gates as they often don't give enough room to stand the horse when they can be climbed on!

At 16.2 I don't have a chance. Initially standing on gates was a no go for robin, this restricted us with routes and long walks if I came off. So we did a bit of training and he suddenly clicked what I wanted and is perfect now thank goodness.

Reactions: Skib and carthorse
he suddenly clicked what I wanted and is perfect now thank goodness.
Take the credit. We have to teach the horses we ride to do what we want of them. Then when we ride them, people shrug and say we always ride easy horses.

One of the gates I decided to use moves when you get on it due to the catch.
She just stood there, it was me that said a few choice words that's began with oh sugar as I had a mini heart launch.

The fence I use she's a bit impatient, considering she isn't what you would call off the leg. Partially on and off she goes meaning I need to duck to avoid the sign post 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Bodshi
I'm lucky Raf is so good because I get on him from my metal 5 bar gate. With it having narrow bars and me not being very athletic these days, I have to climb up it facing away from him then position my right leg over the saddle, push myself off the gate, turn mid air and land as softly as I can manage on his back. He is a saint really 😂

AJ is having formal mounting block practice from both sides - more challenging for me than for him. We passed some concrete blocks on our (in hand) walk yesterday so I thought we'd have a go at lining up, pretending I was going to get on. Bless him, he was most suspicious of the blocks but managed to do what I asked in the end.

Reactions: Jessey
You might feel comfy enough riding but getting the saddle, rugs on could be an issue and getting on again if you have to get off out hacking. I found wiht Sapphire who was 'only' 17'1 that getting the saddle and rugs on difficult and i am 5'6 but felt comfy on her. I have a very tall mounting block at the yard so getting on there wasn't an issue.

If you're in the states then know that many of those drafts are hitch bred. People label them gentle giants, ponderous, slow and steady but those types can get fired up and be temperamental. Just depends. Ride and see if you're comfortable. Having raised and trained that type I'll say they're not as easy as people think and those labels don't fit. They're not mean but they aren't cuddly. Add to that the big body can can be a bit of a stretch and get uncomfortable.

In the UK/Europe I get the impression they're bred with keeping the quiet temperament along with size.

@SpooksHavinFun I wouldn't say all UK bred draughts are quiet either, you only need to look at what goes on at shows for proof of that. They do tend to have the benefit of handlers that know what they are doing though which can make them seem quieter than they really are.

@SpooksHavinFun I wouldn't say all UK bred draughts are quiet either, you only need to look at what goes on at shows for proof of that. They do tend to have the benefit of handlers that know what they are doing though which can make them seem quieter than they really are.
This. Absolutely. The handler can make all the difference in the world.

newrider.com