How best to approach other BY horse owners?

lisae

Jun 15, 2000
NY, USA
www.nyhaflinger.com
One of the down sides of having one's horse(s) at home is that there is no one to share the fun, problems, trail rides, etc.

I did a little review of the people in a five mile radius of our farm who have back yard horses and amazingly there are at least six other ladies (one with a husband who also has a horse) who have nags but are never seen riding or very rarely.

I thought maybe I could approach them all and suggest we form a riding club or perhaps just an email list or group who gets together once a month to chat horses.

Down side might be that these underused horses might not be ready to ride out in a group, and perhaps the owners aren't either!

Any hints or suggestions on how to start this going? I know one woman at least well enough to knock on her door and she will know who I am. The couple I know only because Jim planted their pasture for them. The rest are strangers. :eek:

I think thats a great idea. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, eh ?Why not send a friendly note suggesting a meet up to see if they are interested in some kind of group. At worse it may be a non starter, but you might make a good friend (s) to enjoy your horses with.

Sounds like a good idea!

Why dont you invite them to a BBQ at yours or something to get to know eachother then ask them about the RC thing and meet ups!

Personally I would just go knock on their doors and introduce myself, just say you nnoticed they have horses and you do too and wondered of they would fancy riding with you or going to a horsey event or something :D

Definatly worth a try, I think almost everyone who has horses at home would appriciate knowing the other horsey people in the area.

J x

ah , but don't make the assumption that these horses don't do anything , i keep my horse at home but you rarely see me riding around the village , once a week absolute max , however i ride 5 or six times a week , lesson , schooling in the menage , sj course in the field & competing , you may well find a whole lot more than you expect;)

I'd be receptive if you came knocking!

There is one lady who lives less than .25 miles away and she rides by on occassion. We've chatted across the fence about riding out together but it has yet to be done... good intentions and all...

Great idea! I am a BY horse owner and have taken to dropping into the yard up the road to see if anyone wants to come a hack - it can get lonely all by yourself! I also trot to catch up with anyone hacking ahed of me and introduce myself. it would be lovely if someone actually came and introduced themselves to me though!

Enter a new wrinkle in the picture, I've just had an email asking to loan my one fully trained mare!

When I was at the county fair chatting to the teen who bought my '04 colt (avatar pic) she expressed some frustration that Finn had only made 12 hands 2" and she herself had shot up and was now like 5' 8" and she was concerned that next year he wouldn't show ridden (she showed him in hand this year, took a 4th..) very well as they would look odd... I then said "Well, I'm not riding his dam all that much, if she was going to be used I could loan her out for next year's show season." This was before the backyard horse club idea.

Now a friend of the girl's has contacted me for an asap loan as her show horse has done something bad to his suspensory ligament and if off ridden work for at least 6 months. She would finish out two local shows and ride every day. She is from a horsey family and comes with high recommendations from a respected friend.

What to do, what to do! Monday (the mare) is fat, and steady work would be great for her, but then I'd have no mount for my BY idea. Mara the four year old only has a few rides on her and wouldn't suit for trail riding yet, or loaning out either.

Better make some stops and see if there is interest in the BY group, if not, I suppose I could then contemplate the loan. :confused: :rolleyes:

newrider.com