Hind end lameness

Account123

Sep 26, 2023
Hi, my horse is booked in for a lameness work up for the following symptoms. I was just wondering if anyone’s horse has had similar to suggest what it make be and what treatment options maybe available?

- Intermittent lameness right hind ever since I bought him two years ago

- Alternating rest on both hinds in the stable and snatches both hinds

- Walks out of stable stiff in back end

- instructor has said when I’ve been riding that he’s stiff/short behind but then frees off

- Sore over right hind, left shoulder, hamstrings last two time he’s been treated by my physio

- Hard to build condition on hind end/top line even with loads of hacking and hill work

- Doesn’t use back end correctly when worked limited engagement/doesn’t push from behind, altered gait on left hind, toe drags in school

- Recently Less willing to travel forwards ridden and on lunge, especially in canter

Overall not quite right behind …

Its not even worth speculating on, we haven't seen your horse and could panic you and put you down a rabbit hole that isn't even relevant, best bet is to wait for your vet appointment and not google it!

It could be anything in the back end, really. The short striding suggests a stifle problem or arthritis. Intermittent lameness is a cause for concern, especially if there are no lameness indicators (swelling, heat, etc). Good luck, I hope the vet finds something.

My horse has similar symptoms and after a few nerve blocks we decided to spend the insurance money on a full body scan which showed up multiple problems. We could then work out the primary and secondary lameness issues. Horses are so complex and try to hide their pain. I hope you get to the bottom of what is wrong with your horse.

newrider.com