Extremeley itchy nose!

*Shantih*

Nov 25, 2001
East Sussex
Visit site
Hello everyone :)

I've recently aquired my first horse, hes a 15hh 5 yr old skewbald cob called Merlin.

Hes lovely in every way possible, except for one problem. When he has his bridle on and im out riding him, he constantly puts his head down to rub his nose/face on his leg.

Im not sure whether hes in discomfort from the bit (hes in a plain snaffle) or whether the nose band irritates him or if he just gets warm which in turn makes him itchy(hes quite a hairy beast!). I was wondering whether i should ride him without a nose band to see if it makes any difference?

One time, while out hacking he stopped by a puddle to put his nose in the water!

Any advice, comments would be much appreciated!

My NF/arab mare does the same in trot and canter but I don't know why. She has a slight dust allergy but is very healthy according to my very respected vet. I have been told she is OK.

Your name is cool- where did it come from? I have heard it from the Jinny stories (love 'em)- it means peace or so P. Leitch says.
Go on tell me more about wou got it!!

Alarm bells ringing in my head!!!

When I was at college we learned a lot about horses which do this. And to be quite honest I suspect that the noseband is unrelated. Please answer me a few questions, and don't panic, if it's what i think it's not life threatening:

1. Does he wear a martingale of any sort?

2. Does he do it when he's been ridden for a while or straight away?

3. how well does he tolerate having his bridle or headcollar put on?

4. does he ever try to evade the bit, or throw his head around when you ride him?

Ponynut, is this the same horse that resents having her ears handled? and shantih how is your horse about having his ears handled? Also ponynut, please answer the above too?

please tell me as I am sure I know why and something can be done about it.

extremely itchy nose!

Thanx Ponynut and Ponyvet for your replys!

Ponynut- Yes my name is from the Shantih and Jinny stories! I used to love reading them as a child. I didn't know Shantih meant "peace". But its an unusual name and i have always thought that it must have some kind of meaning.
Merlin has never attempted to put his head down to rub while hes in canter or trot, it only seems to be while hes walking

Ponyvet- Ok here goes....

1. He doesn't wear a martingale.

2. The rubbing starts almost straight away. but he does it a lot more after a while, like on the way back from a hack.

3. He has taken a while to get used to his bit (he was in a rubber bit before i had him). He plays around with it in his mouth and chews on it , but doesn't seem to evade the bit, he has a lovely soft mouth.

4. He doesn't mind having his ears handled. He does get a bit irritated when i stroke or scratch is nose but theres no major reaction.

Oh and another thing....I know most horses like to give their heads a good rub after a ride, but Merlin goes overboard! As soon as i get off him hes desperate to rub his head on anything he can find.

I'm beginning to feel like the guy in "Three Men in a Boat" who read the medical dictionary and decided he had everything but housemaid's knee. It's Carrie I'm worrying about though - so Ponyvet please tell us what problem is if the attempts to rub nose down leg happen after you've been working a while, have some problems putting on headcollar, and when there is some irregular non-acceptance of bit.

Maria

PS. Mine's a hairy coloured cob too.

I might have been a bit misleading- Peps only scratches AFTER fast work!! And rubs like mad on my body protector after a hack (she is good and only rubs on my body armour at least!)

*Shantih*! I loved the Jinny books- which did you like best? I loved the night of the Red horse. I used to work for a Miss Tuke!!

Hi Ponynut :)

I thought it would be a bit difficult to try and put the head down to rub while in canter.... lol.

My fave Jinny story would have to be the one where she goes on the trek with Miss Tuke. Also the one with the wolves, do you remember that one? Is Night of the Red Horse something to do with a cave??

It was the really creepy one before everything as explained!! I guess I will just have to read the again!!

I always wanted to but a Shantih but ended up with a bramble!!

Do you have a horse if so what?

LOL!! Like Jinny I moved to a house in Scotland with fields as a teenager and was given a pony by a caring neighbour, but had no glorious moors to ride on, as I lived halfway up a freeezing mountain, and my free pony was a bramble crossed with a very stubborn donkey!!!! I always felt sorry for bramble and thought jinny was selfish as she never appreciated him! She was lcky to have two ponies to choose from!

Anyway, Shantih, your horse is just wierd! dunno why it's iching, but some hairy horses are just itchy.

However, a horse which rubs it's head down it's leg, does it more after exercise and resents it's head being handled, and resents the bit (incidentally it would be WORSE with a bitless bridle) is probably a low grade headshaker. EVEN if they don't actually head shake.

I bet she drags his head along the floor if you lunge him for a bit ponynut, right??

Head shaking is a somewhat misunderstood thing, which people used to think was behavioural, but is probably related to allergies (DUST PONYNUT??!!??!!??) or in some cases, light sensitivity, or in others a problem relating to over-sensitivity of nerves in the face, which means they get very sore (or itchy) when they do fast work, and have to stretch their nostrils.

Anyway, there's not a lot you can do about it, unless it's so bad that the horse can't be ridden, so I reckon ponynut yours is probably ok, as you know she has a dust allergy, you just need to carry on being careful, and if you have a sand arena to ride in, try not to when it's dry and dusty!!

Sorry if I panicked you guys, but there are things to do in other circumstances, but neither of your sound like cases that need anything scary, or panicking!!:D

I want to read all my jinny books again, but mum threw them out when I went to university!!

Ponyvet,

Peps yes little Miss Problem ears is the one in question. She only rubs after a canter after a while out. I don't ride with a martingale or flash band, Peps is fine with the bridle and headcollar going on she just hates the ears being brushed. My mare does not tend to evade the bit but often is very frothy. I did have a problem when I got her with her bridle coming off but that stopped when she was put in a french link perhaps that was her being bashed in the mouth.

She hates fly spray too and is a real stroppy bag in season!

Please explain each point I am curious!
Oh and how old must a foal be for its flu/tet jabs? Mine is four months and soon to be weaned. She is very well developed in all senses!!

Hello Ponyvet,

My horse rubs his face down his leg after excercise.
He does wear a martingale
He doesn't evade the bit
He doesn't mind his head/ears being handled
He does only do it after excercise

He's fine when being lunged.

What does this mean - not sure if there's a problem or not now!

Do you think he might have an allergy?

newrider.com