Couple Q's

BlueSky

Flossie
Sep 6, 2001
West Yorks, UK
1. Can anyone give me some tips for sitting trot... I *can* do it, but not very comfortably, for either me or the horse! I've tried reading Heather's article, but I'm finding it a bit confusing... In one ear and out the other :D

2. Is it really necessary to have your shoulders all the way back when asking a horse to halt? I was having problems at my riding school asking a horse to stop, and my instructor said to have my shoulders well back. Unfortunately, I find this very difficult, as I do ballet; while this improves my riding by making me supple, it also conflicts with it because I am then told to have my shoulders straight, so it doesn't feel very natural for me to have my shoulders back. This is all too confusing!
Please help!

I wonder if your instructor means to lean your whole torso back more than you are, rather than simply pulling your shoulders back. I know I tend to sit a bit too far forward. When I sit the trot correctly (which isn't often enough), I feel like I'm leaning back (though I'm told I'm vertical).

I don't think it's that, because I've been told that I sit too far back in trot... Though I have tried to correct it, maybe now I'm sitting too far forward!

I found the sitting trot thing a little unclear too, but I think I've made some small progress with it by trial and error. If you try and swing each hip forward a little alternately in time with the trot the bouncing is greatly reduced. I can't get it all the time, but when it works it seems to work. It's usually best to try on a horse trotting slowly or one with a small amount of movement. Pushing on with the leg also helps to steady you. I also personally find it easier to do without stirrups.

I managed to get it going in a lesson, the instructor was so impressed, didn't like to say I got it out of a book:D

help

I think that you shoudl breathe deeply and totally relax. Then ask for a nice slow trot. Give little half-halts now and then. If you find yourdelf getting even the least bit tense, then slow dow (even to a walk) and roll your shoulders or do some suppling exercises. or do an exercise at the trot that you and your horse are good at. Perhaps walk/halt transitions. Return to trot when you are relaxed.

happy sitting;)

Do you stretch your spine upwards towards the sky when you go to halt? This makes it much easier rather than slouching or leaning back wards.
Then while you're all nice & long, think of pushing yourself- without slouching- down into the saddle & through the horse into the ground. Be careful you don't push the horse forward though. With time you should be able to use light aids (seat only) to slow the horse.
Good Luck.:)

Last edited:
newrider.com