Clydesdale/clydesdale X's please!

bicky

Aug 11, 2007
Cumbria
Hi folks, anyone for a clyde or clyde x! I'd love to see some pics of them and to know what they are like to own, ride, handle etc. Tell me everything you know! ;)

I hope to buy a youngster to educate, show and evenutally ride. I'm in no rush and I want to choose wisely! ;)

Kinzzy is still number 1 in my eyes but as we now have our own land, I'd love to have a one waiting in the wings. Cheers.

Out of all the horses Ive driven, I must admit my favourite has been a clydesdale.

He was a lovely chap, Strong.. willing... and gentle as a lamb. Coul;d lead him with a piece of cotton.

He always over worked himself in the carriage almost!.. just adored his work striding out and really putting his heart into it...

To ride also he was great... was very patient as I clambered up..even from the mounting block was hard work !!

The only thing he didnt like was solo hacking... but was happy in the harness out on his own... with just the odd... neigghhhh for reasurance!

Ohh you lucky thing being able to have one from young. I expect you will have a lovely clydesdale on your hands if thats the case! I think if there taught respect etc from a young age.. when there towering over you and gentle as a lamb you know you have done it right!! :):p

Oh my favourite type!! Mine is Clydesdale cross TB - I set out to buy one and spent years scanning horse adds until I found him. He is a 16.3hh dark bay gelding, and was 5 when I bought him 3 years ago. We do a bit of everything, predominantly very happy hackers, also SJ up to 1m, cross country, hunting, have done one endurance ride, and are hoping to start competing in dressage this winter.

If I ever had to buy another horse I would get a Clydesdale cross (or shire cross) again. Whenever I admire horses at shows or out hunting, they are always a combination of one of the two!

I've always loved them too! I'll probably go for a clyde x, don't want it ending up massive but would like a nice 15.2 - 15.3hh. :D

Here is my Clydie X who I have owned for 9 years....very unoriginally named Clyde..:rolleyes:
He is 16yrs old and 15.2hh. He is worth his weight in gold..He adapts to whoever is riding him, you could sit a child on him and he will be a saint, a novice rider and he will look after them and if a better rider gets on he can keep them amused as well..he can still have his 'moments' but only when the right rider is aboard..:)

bestclyde.jpg

Spruced up for his first show in 10 years..!

gungadin.jpg

Ridden by my very novice brother for the first time, a true gent.

If you want something mainly for riding and as an allrounder then go for a clydie x.The warmblood and TB crosses are great for everything as a rule.

Would advise against getting a pure bred simply because they are not built for certain types of riding,and will always be limited in what they do and do well if you know what I mean.

My clyde is pure bred but I only want to hack and perhaps do some in-hand showing,so she is fine for that,but if I wanted to do a bit of everything riding wise (which I *think* you do??),I would go for a x breed one.I like you also want something around 15.2hh,and that height is impossible with a pure bred clyde unfortunately (I have soooo many issues with getting on and off my mare it's not even funny:rolleyes:)

Won't post my pictures yet again (must get some new ones lol) but if you check out the clydie thread on this section she is on there somewhere.

Oh Razzledazzle, yours is lovely! Any more pics? Mine looks more like yours in his 'au natural' state, I have to confess.....

Openingmeet2008.jpg

Sweaty boy out hunting a couple of weeks ago. He got clipped yesterday though and looks much smarter! (Thanks Skippysmum!):)

horseholiday2008016.jpg

In his summer coat, on holiday.

Lucy4.jpg

Jump cross-ing

My mare is Clydesdale x Welsh cob, 15 hh and a real saint. She is 17 now but i have owned her for 10 years and rode her for 2 years before i brought her, so I know her inside out :D
She is a real allrounder and I have had much fun doing dressage, showing, show jumping, hunting, sponsored rides etc with her, she now mainly just hacks and I school her once a week and do the odd dressage on her.
She gives my 3 year old daughter rides on her and she does RDA once a week with 2 adult riders.
She lives on fresh air and unfortunately had a bit of a bad summer with laminitis but she is much better now, but her weight is always being scrutinised!!!:rolleyes:
I would definately look again for another clydie x as I have really enjoyed my girl and hopefully she will go on for a few more years yet.

Attachments

• pink centre line.jpg
    pink centre line.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 49
Ah thanks everyone! Seeing all those fab pics only makes me want one more! But i'm gonna be patient, I need to know i've got the right one.

As you can imagine, living in Cumbria makes viewing potential neddies very time consuming.

Oh Razzledazzle, yours is lovely! Any more pics? Mine looks more like yours in his 'au natural' state,

Happy to oblige Lucyad....you can certainly tell they are Clydie X's...have you seen their back legs..?? peas from the same pod..:D
dd1.jpg
Tango's mum riding him at a show last year.

11-04-07_1719.jpg

04-06-07_1434.jpg

Unfortunately my boy is not as active as yours...he had a serious hock injury as a 9 yr old and was supposed to be retired but he did more harm to himself turned away and it was decided to put him back into light work, since he has been back in work the last 3 years I haven't had a problem with him (touch wood :eek:)

I have had my clydesdale x cob for 9 months nearly, and he is what the advert stated: a true gentleman. He is as good as can be, would do anything, excells in cross country as he loves to "go", and showing he has done incredibly well - took him in maxi cob classes and have came along the 2nd, 3rd, 4th's margain.
He is a dream come true, he is 16.1hh and 5yo :)

HoneyRobbiesnow007.jpg

Robbie-LKF021.jpg

Robbie-LKF011.jpg

DSCF0032.jpg

i have a clydesdale x mare shes 18 years old and i hack 5-6 times a week with her. She doesn't like going out on her own but is slowly getting better at going first so maybe one day i may get her to go out with just me lol
I absolutly love her to bits, she is so gentle and loving. a real confidence giver.
i will try and post pics later!

I have a Clydesdale x Cob. She's only 14.2 so easy to get on and of of but a good weight carrier so perfect for adventurous hacks (think low branches, narrow gateways etc).

Mine is steady as a rock when you want her to be (and sometimes when you don't lol), but can go like the clappers if out in company and you want a bit of fun.

Kind, gentle, totally trustworthy - I often lend her out to friends if they need to take a novice rider out with them.

Only negative I can think of is after 2 and a half years of schooling/lessons we still don't seem to be able to manage a nice collected canter but hey - it give's us something to aim for one day. :D

Can safely say that every Clydesdale/Clydesdale-cross type that I've ridden has been nice to ride (if somewhat bouncy in canter/trot transition for the pure ones).

Temperament-wise, just about all I've met have been very gentle (even the stallions!) and very loving, sweet-natured horses that seem to love human company.

The last Clydesdale-cross type I rode was Bramble, a 16hh blue-roan gelding out at Whiteloch Farm. I had him for a two-hour hack just over a week ago and he was brilliant!

I'd love to find a Clydie/Clydie-cross around 15-16hh to play with in my area... :eek:

(I assume, as you're in Cumbria, that you've been to the Cumbrian Heavy Horses??)

Thanks Razzledazzle - he does look very like my boy, though has a more noble profile in his show pic! Absolutely lovey:)

Rahra, my boy's canter is not great either, though we are working on it - he is MUCH stronger in trot work.

Bicky, you would also like my neighbour's driving horse who is a very sturdy and stocky 14.2hh Clydesdale cross cob - she looks like a minature clydesdale complete with full feathering, white splash on belly, sabino stockings etc, but is smaller, very chunky, and has a slightly dished head and curved ears that we suspect may have come from welsh blood. She can also trot at about 100 mph, so trotter is suspected in this mix! She is nice to ride as well, as long as you don't mind trotting eveywhere!

I dunno if you'd be interested in some of my photos....

Sally (my cuddly, squishy pal, now no longer with us... :()
Farm21.jpg

Her foal, Arwen (madness incarnate!)
DSC00149.jpg

Bailey - an 18.2hh gelding that I looked into sharing (didn't work out, sadly)
DSC01141.jpg

Billy - Clydesdale-X-Thoroughbred at one of the riding schools I go to.
DSC01154.jpg

Amber - 16hh Clydesdale-X-Warmblood at the same school (I fell off her on my first visit there! :eek:)
DSC01045.jpg

newrider.com