Back shoes only?

Doodle92

Apr 6, 2021
I will speak to the farrier but would it be mad to take off robins front shoes while in his box? He is in his stable for 3months (not allowed out at all) and on the extra thick equimats. Injury is the back foot and he will be getting special shoes on.

He would be sore without front shoes in the field but it might give his feet time to grow out the slight damage that he is always prone too and is at its worst this time of year. Can they just have backs on?

It is not unknown for him to step on a shoe and half pull it off which will be more of a risk of he is having a paddy in the stable.

For box rest I can't see why it would be a problem, but obviously your farrier is the expert and I'm sure will tell you when you speak to him. Realistically you can always put them back on if it doesn't work for him.

There is a horse on my yard with back shoes only. She’s a repeat laminitic on the hinds so is shod only in the back feet and has boots for the fronts for hacking

I would, I knew a horse that was ridden with hinds only without issue (that was done because the owner had a mad idea that it would make her carry more weight behind! I’m not convinced it did anything of the sort but never did her any harm either)

Somewhere in my mind i think i recall ive seen some horses that just have backs only for driving.

I cant see it being an issue if hes stood on bedding and not walking about anyway. But could it cause an inbalance due to the height difference especially if he has to have pads and shoes etc.
Id just double check with both the farrier and vet.

newrider.com