Am I crazy or just mad about Molly?

Kylie Chamberlain

Crazy horselover
I think I'm just about to do something that most people would regard as absolutely nuts! I'm currently leasing a part arab named Rani, but my friend likes her so much that I'm going to give Rani up for her (If tomorrow works out). There is a nervous mare named Molly wasting out at grass.
I really like her and want to lease her- the owner is giving me a trial TOMORROW! and I really don't know how it's going to go.
Molly rears, Molly bucks oh yeah Molly bolts too!
I know I sound like an idiot for what I am doing, but my eyes melted when I saw this horse. You have to understand.
I did some ground work with her earlier this week.
She doesn't walk politely next to me when being led, she dances around like a race horse. She is also a finiky eater but that isn't import because she in Aus with me and lives mostly on grass.
IF SOMEBODY HAS HAD A HORSE LIKE THIS OR HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS I WOULD BE GREAFUL IF YOU REPLIED SOON
Thanx
Kylie::)

What does the owner expect you to do during this "trial"? Hopefully, not try to ride her! I commend you for wanting to lease a horse that you are going to have to totally retrain before you can ride her. Crazy? Sure. Like a fox! She just might respond to you and be the best mount she can be! But it sounds to me like the owner is getting the better end of this deal. He is getting someone to pay HIM to train HIS horse, and when you have gotten her to a settled state, he will come in and say he no longer wants to lease her to you as he now wants to ride her. If she has this many prolems, I don't think I would pay him to work with her. I would suggest to him that "payment" would be your training expertixse. We can talk about what to do with each situation. Why don't you email me at horizons@dashlink.com when you get the deal finalized, and we can discuss a plan of action. Happy Training Trails

Well, Outrider has a point about the payment bit, but what a challenge! If you can find the key to this mare, she could teach you so much. I don't blame you for wanting to try, and I'm sure I'd do the same. But you have to be very careful that you learn to trust each other.

If she's nervous, as you say, I just bet that if you take it very quietly and gently, and don't try to force her in any way, she'll come to you in time. This would be a fascinating story to follow.

As long as you won't get 'used' by this man, and you really think you can do it, go for it. I have been in the situation you now stand it, and I have never looked back. It is the most amazing feeling in the world when your horse starts to trust you, be prepared to have many highs and lows and maybe some injuries! The things this mare will teach you will be with you for the rest of life! Gentle methods that encourage you to make her own decision will, in time, bring her barriers down. If you go ahead you must keep us updated and I wish you the best of luck!:D

Well I went ahead in leasing Molly and I reckon that she is really the best horse I've ever worked with.
When I first went to ride her, it was scary, I mean here I was nervous as anything while Molly reared a few times. I had to mount as soon as she stopped and I honestly thought I'd be hitting the ground within minutes.
But Molly suprised me,she walked calmly aound the paddock like an old school horse while I warmed her up. She turned trots into Canters but I've now schooled that out of her.
I rode her barebacl up from the field the other day and she was an angel.
At one point she was following me around the stable yard while I was doing things.
She is paddock kept and she won't stay in a stable without ME (Ignores my friend and her horse) but neighs in distress and belts the door with a hoof until I return.
Molly and I are good friends now, well except when it comes to bridling. It's a fight and eventually I win, but not before Molly is all worked up and I hate doing that to her.

That's brilliant! So glad you're peased with Molly. Don't worry too much about the bridling thing - jut take it gently and try to work out exactly why she doesn't like it. Do keep us updated on your (and her) progress.

Bordom- the key to obedience!!!

Saturday I rode Molly again, and she was in the worst mood.
I'd just mounted (I din't even have my stirrups!) when she ripped the reins from my friends hands and cantered full pelt around the paddock to the fence nearset to where the herd was grazing.
When she stopped I got her to walk around, but as soon as we reached the top of the field, she was off again, those race horse legs pounding the ground!!
So I figured we'd have to go in a smaller field if I had any hope of controlling her. I rode her into the lunge paddock which is just big enough to lunge a horse in and made her walk in dull boring circles for half an hour. After that I took her into the Dressage paddock, but she was silly again, so we went back to the lunge paddock. Eventually she got the message and decided to behave, so I asked my friend on her horse to do her best to try and distract Molly. This was my idea to train Molly to do as I ask even when other horses are doing different things.
I say it worked pretty well, I think eventually I'm going to have Molly trained so that I can put my trust in her completely.

About the photos! I'll try and put some on soon, but I'm really busy right now (school work due in for end of year) so it mightn't be for awhile.
Molly's coat is beginning to look better, but she'd been out in the paddock for ages before i began leasing her so under her belly and rump has dull horrible hair, but good feeding is helping.

newrider.com