[Deleted]

I pay 32 a week for my stable and paddock. It's upto me when I turn my cob out and for how long. In winter I am limited myself to how often I can ride. But we do have access to an indoor arena

That's what I wish we had. There's just no where nearby like that :(

He's grumpy hun as he doesn't have enough free time. If a horse had a choice they would never be fussed about schooling but free time well that's something else.

Well mine is on boxrest right now and I still get him out for at least two hours a day, more at the weekend and all with me being there to supervise. I'd not be happy with that level but i appreciate it's difficult. Are other horses getting more? Compromise and negotiation in a very tactful way is how to try and go about it. That or see what other options are out there for livery. Could someone in hand graze for you? Just some nice quiet time out every day picking at the verges?

I'm not sure they'd be willing to hand graze for me, they are always on a tight schedule as it is :/ And I think some horses go in a field across the road and get longer out. I might ask if they could put him in there at least once a week :)

I'm not sure they'd be willing to hand graze for me, they are always on a tight schedule as it is :/ And I think some horses go in a field across the road and get longer out. I might ask if they could put him in there at least once a week :)
That probably be another 20 quid #ridiculous

He's grumpy hun as he doesn't have enough free time. If a horse had a choice they would never be fussed about schooling but free time well that's something else.

He definitely needs to go out more then... I'm going to try and convince them to let him go out in the field down the lane at least once a week, my friends pony gets to go in there sometimes so I'll get my mum to back me up when I ask :)

He definitely needs to go out more then... I'm going to try and convince them to let him go out in the field down the lane at least once a week, my friends pony gets to go in there sometimes so I'll get my mum to back me up when I ask :)
Mate he should be having at least 3hrs turnout a day. If ur current yard can't accomodate u. Look elsewhere seriously

Personally I wouldn't keep my horse at a yard which limits turnout so much. I live 30 miles away from London so I am well aware that land is a premium and that good yards are like gold dust. You always have to compromise somewhere and no yard is perfect, but I wouldn't even consider a yard with such limited turnout.

Reactions: Cortrasna
Personally I wouldn't keep my horse at a yard which limits turnout so much. I live 30 miles away from London so I am well aware that land is a premium and that good yards are like gold dust. You always have to compromise somewhere and no yard is perfect, but I wouldn't even consider a yard with such limited turnout.

There are just no full livery yards near me that will muck out, feed, turnout for you etc near me. Where we are is probably the only one with good facility's nearby. :(

Last edited:
I agree with Jessey. You may end up (like me) not riding much in the winter, but you'll have a happy horse who is pleased to see you.

It sounds like you're paying a lot for them to have use of your horse. Wouldn't consider keeping mine like this, I'd start looking for somewhere to move, speak to people locally as a lot of yards aren't advertised. I did DIY all through school, if the yard isn't too far it shouldn't be too bad. Some DIY yards offer services such as turnout, muck out etc.

Reactions: Trewsers
Livery yards should offer ppl the best they can especially as we pay money. It should be about keeping our horses happy not over horsing land just to keep their pockets lined. Anyone who offers less than a horses needs is not worth 10p. We are horse owners not intensive life stock farmers

Wow that's one hell of a statement. I think you will find it will depend on where you live in the country and the available yards. If it was that easy to just 'have the land' and be 'able to turn out' when ever you want there wouldn't be any horses kept stabled for 24/7. Its not always about keeping their pockets lined but about keeping the grazing for the summer months.

Not all yards offer turn out for more than 1 hour during the winter where I am. I am at a yard where there is no restrictions but if you trash your one field that's it. That is all you have for the winter and summer and I pay a premium for the field. I am on diy and still pay over £500 a month for my two boys and that just stable and field not bedding or hay.

It is to do with money though isn't it really.

Too many horses for the amount of land, so the horses have to compromise.

I guess there are good and bad like most things. Some yards truly do their best turnout wise, others (this is just my limited experience) can be economical with the truth when you first make enquiries. For example one place I was on said all year round turnout. It wasn't the case in winter, we were lucky to get half days every other day in a rutted field. But maybe I should have asked more questions?! Live and learn as they say. Must be a fine line these days between making a living out of running a yard and just turning money around.

Wow that's one hell of a statement. I think you will find it will depend on where you live in the country and the available yards. If it was that easy to just 'have the land' and be 'able to turn out' when ever you want there wouldn't be any horses kept stabled for 24/7. Its not always about keeping their pockets lined but about keeping the grazing for the summer months.

Not all yards offer turn out for more than 1 hour during the winter where I am. I am at a yard where there is no restrictions but if you trash your one field that's it. That is all you have for the winter and summer and I pay a premium for the field. I am on diy and still pay over £500 a month for my two boys and that just stable and field not bedding or hay.

Yep, where I ride is basically the horse populated outskirts of the city, it's not easy to find anywhere. They keep the fields for the summer. If we all had land I'm sure our horses would never be in, but not everyone's so lucky.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I personally would choose good turnout over good facilities, my horses welfare is more important to me than how much I get to ride in a nice school.
Perhaps have a look about for assisted DIY or 5 day livery.

That's true but my parents don't really want me somewhere with bad facilities, maybe because they have never known anything different from where we are now. Trust me I've tried but they won't move me to anywhere with bad facilities like a rubbish school etc, they think it's unfair on him, especially if there are no proper bridle paths (like some of the places near me). I could try to persuade them though :)

That's true but my parents don't really want me somewhere with bad facilities, maybe because they have never known anything different from where we are now. Trust me I've tried but they won't move me to anywhere with bad facilities like a rubbish school etc, they think it's unfair on him, especially if there are no proper bridle paths (like some of the places near me). I could try to persuade them though :)

Could you perhaps show them this thread - if they aren't horsey they probably have no idea just how much this livery yard seems to be taking libertys with you and your pony's well being, at their expense it would seem? As I have already stated I do recognise that almost all livery yards have a very difficult time finding enough turnout as there are just too many horses in private ownership to be adequately catered for - but your situation does sound the extreme end of the mucky stick to me.

Call me an old cynic but I have seen it over and over again with less reputable livery yard owners, sucking money out of new horse/pony owners and their totally unhorsey parents, who just foot the bills and have no idea how much they are being fleeced! :eek:

newrider.com