Adult Group Lessons

GracieMai

Jan 29, 2008
Warwickshire
I've recently started riding and have had about 5 private lessons, my RS has now set up adult group lessons (the first one is later this week). Does anyone else have group lessons and do they find them of benefit?. I'm worried that I wont progress as quickly in a group.

Hello GracieMai. I have my own horse and have been riding for 25 years, but I still have lesson's at the local riding school on different horses. I opt for a private group lesson which is a max. 3 people. I find this is a good balance and like to be able to learn from watching other people of the same level, and bouncing off ideas between the others and the riding instructor. I find I don't get enough out of a lesson if there are more than 3 of us, and I find it too intensive on my own (but then I have lessons on my own horse, on my own - so its nice to have a change).

I think its beneficial to have a few lessons on your own, but I also think its beneficial to be able to learn from others, enjoy and get to know people who ride in your group. As said 3 max - 4 at a push.

Hi Gracie Mai and welcome to NR!

I've had private lessons for about a year and a half. I love the one-to-one tuition and you're right, progress can be quick. But, I now find I am a bit nervous when there are other horses in the school (we sometimes share a huge indoor school with another private lesson.) I don't really know why - perhaps part of it is self-conciousness. I think people are watching me and thinking I am rubbish!

So I have now joined a group lesson to get out of my one-to-one comfort zone and to get more confident with other horses around. I will alternate the groups and privates to get the best of both worlds. :)

Thanks for that, I think it will be good for me to get used to riding with other hourses around, although I have the same problem in that I'm worried the others will think i'm rubbish! :(

I think there will be about 4 of us in total, so that is quite a nice size.

You'll be fine GracieMai - a good school will ensure you are all at the same level, and I'm sure everyone is similar in feeling like you. If its the same people week on week you'll make some great friends.

I would say that they have there pro's and con's: -

Please note that this is just my experiences: -

Standard Group lessons - 5 - 9 people brilliant from a social perspective, we used to have such a great laugh and we all became really good friends by the end of it all and great for when your just starting out. You get encouragement and confidence from others, great from a morale perspective. On the downside once you get past a certain level your needs as a riders get side tracked and it says just a laugh and you don't really progress too much further.

Semi Private - 2 - 3 people in a lesson, more geared towards learning and perfecting what your doing wrong, get a little bit of company for those encouragement moments but it's more intensive.

Privates - I love them and now have these on my pony and don't bother with either of the above now, I need my instructor to concentrate soley on me and my pony and help us progress. I may try a semi private again in the future but for the time being it's just going to privates for me as I think you personally get far more out of it.

My perspective about lessons has somewhat changed since getting a share which is basically mine 100% of the time, as my lessons are about learning and improving, it's not the only time I get to ride so I have fun and relax during my hacks but schooling and lessons are intensive and about progress for me. Whereas previously when they were my only only source of riding they were about enjoyment, learning and social in that order.

Good luck with your group lesson and let us know how you get on :)

IMO:
YOU think you're rubbish.....they don't....
THEY think they're rubbish...you don't....
Everyone learns from watching everyone else ("oh, that riders hands are too (insert), I'd better check mine" or "I LOVE how that rider posts! I'll have to try that!") in a group. It CAN be distracting, though, to riders AND RI. Take a try at it, if group lessons don't work for you, go back to one-on-one learning.

I have 1 private lesson every week with my own pony as you get so much more done and I can focus on problem areas. I also have 1 group lesson with between 6-9 people which is also great. It's very sociable, its at a different school, so I see someone elses teaching technique. I can see what other people are doing wrong and its so easier to see than when your doing it yourself so I find this combination is great for me! :)

Hi, I have a group lesson, there's 4 of us. Its great fun and you can benefit from watching other people. Having read the other replies it sounds like a mix of group & private lessons would be the ideal. Guess it depends on what your goal is too.

I know its not the same as this refers to a child but

our child has one private swimming lesson a week and one group lesson (it IS relevant!) - we use the one to one to teach her stuff, and the group to encourage her out of her comfort zone and learn to be in the pool with others -she was starting to get antsy if anyone swam near her

We do the same with her riding for similar reasons!

She has a private lesson on her own pony once a week

She has a group lesson on a riding school horse once a week

She has a group lesson on her own pony at Riding Club once a week

She has a group lesson on her own pony twice a month at Pony Club

She learns the most intensely at her private lessons, where the focus is on her and her alone

Her group lessons on riding school pony's stop her becoming scared to ride anything other than her own pony (was becoming an issue, but it does seem to have gone away)

Her group lessons with RC or PC are great fun. She gets all the social side, plus LOADS of encouragement plus she wants to do that bit more to keep up with her friends, and she is making some really nice friends

I think both have a lot to offer and we've found this works in all spheres, not just riding (hence my mumble over swimming!)

I like her having the mix of the invididual attention and the fun of being in a group.

Can you maybe have one private lesson a month and then group the other weeks?

I prefer a private or a semi private due to feeling that they are better value for money. I used to do one private and one group lesson (jumping) a week at my RS, but the group was full of young kids, whereas I would much prefer to have been with adults. In the end I jacked it in as I was learning nothing with up to 8 or 9 other riders in the lesson, and the standards of riders in one group can really vary. I now have 2 privates a week and am progressing much quicker and get a chance to do stuff we wouldn't do in a group lesson. That said, so much depends on the school you go to.

Thanks everyone, I understand what you are all saying. I am going to see how the group lesson on Sunday goes and then perhaps like you say Snowyboy have 3 group lessons and 1 private lesson a month. I'm really looking forward to it now i've heard some other peoples opinion on the subject. None of my friends are into horse riding and I dont really know anyone who is, so hopefully i will make some new friends as well. :D

The yard where I have my horse is also an RS and they have an interesting way of teaching group lessons. They do not divide them into ability. Kids are at weekends at days and adults at night but they are all mixed ability. The YO believes you learn quicker that way and shes right.

Riding in a group is brilliant socially as if you get a good group and a nice RI you can have a great laugh.
It can also help immensly when you see how others are riding. some excercises are easier to understand if you see someone else doing it (people learn in different ways some are visual and learn more by seeing something done than y hearing how to do it).
It can also be a confidence boost when you see otheres doing things and succeeding it helps boost your own confidence to progress.
Give it ago hope you enjoy! x

Hello and welcome. I have not been on this site much recently, long story. I have been having one on one lessons for over a year now. You do learn more on one to one lessons. I did at one point have a lesson with another person, which in itself was great for the reason, you learn which side of the horse you pass by, how to control the horse going in different directions, horses by natural want to follow the other horse, you learn to control your horse and give the aids to make the horse go where you want it. And it does give you confident to ride with other horses, and as for thinking 'they watching me, I am rubbish' you are not, you do learn alot from watching what the other person does, you learn not to do that, and how to do it, it is a very good lesson to take up, after you have had a few lessons. good luck.

Hi - I'm also an adult beginner. I now have an hour group lesson a week and then add on a half hour private to work on the (not inconsiderable) things I need to sort out. I love the group for the social aspect & for being able to watch others ride - I find it's ok for the RI to explain how to do something but much easier to understand if I acutally see someone doing it!

The only problem I had was that my RS group lessons only begin once you've begun to establish canter so I had to have private lessons to get to that point!

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum having lurked for a while and having tried to register unsuccessfully! I returned to riding in November after an 8 year break and started with private lessons. I'm now in a ladies group and I love it. We are all at about the same level and it's loads of fun, especially when we attempt to jump!( We're not kids anymore). :p. I actually find it of more benefit to watch and learn from other people and it's not as intense as a private lesson. I've also made some great friends.

I have a group lesson and while it is good fun and i can actually watch others and learn off them i find that i cant focus on what i really need to, like my balance, i would love to do some stirrupless work but when i have mentioned this in the lessons everyone else objects

I had loads of private lessons last year and was encouraged to join a group - the instructor said I would enjoy it more and I do :D I am lucky that in the group we are similiar in ablility and that our instructor will tailor the lesson to suit everyone. eg - if we are doing jumping there is one lady who doesn't want to jump so she just does the course over poles, if someone doesn't isn't ready to canter jumps they go over and trot etc.
What I love most about the group lesson is the laughs we have, watching others and also being challenged more if someone in the group is better. Also it is less intense than a private as there are moments when the instructors eye isn't on you;)

newrider.com