A study on the effects of rider weight.

I read this this morning - needs more research but a good start and good advice in the article too on how to combat rider weight issues without saying "lose weight":)

This was done just up the road from us, I saw the ads not that long ago asking for volunteer horses. It's very preliminary with just 6 horses used, it would need a much bigger sample size to be statistically significant, it will be interesting to see follow on studies.

Not sure why you even need to do a study to prove that if something is already ill-fitting and you stick something heavy on top, it's going to dig in and hurt. Surely that's just common sense.

Having said that, horses are stoic and put up with a lot from us. Just because they're not actively bucking us off doesn't mean they're not experiencing discomfort. I think a lot of people assume that if they're not being bucked off, the horse must be fine. Maybe we DO need studies to point out the obvious.

Reactions: carthorse
This study does not mean that heavy riders should not ride, but suggests that if they do they should ride a horse of appropriate size and fitness, with a saddle that is correctly fitted for both horse and rider.”

Sorry but that applies to ALL riders.

Reactions: HaloHoney
It would be interesting to know if the riders were all within the maximum weight that the horse is supposed to be able to carry.

Perhaps they will come out with the advice that heavier riders should get saddles/backs checked more frequently?

I am a large rider as you all know I make sure any ponies I am riding have correctly fitted saddles both to me and the pony. I keep my riding to light work while I am big I don't jump only do flat work and hacking or inhand and I am one trying to lose weight and get fitter for myself and for Melody.

I get fed up with reading everywhere that larger riders shouldn't ride. I am sorry but a fully kitted out blues and royal soldier weights a damn sight more than me and no one tells them there to heavy to ride most are blokes over 6 ft tall and big built. Many hunts men are over 18 stone in weight and some show jumper look at Geoff Billington or whatever his surname is... hes no lightweight and competed at the highest level jumping

Surely its better for someone to be outdoors, doing horsey chores and riding than sat at home doing no exercise..... it has got to be healthier for them? If a highland can carry a full grown unbalanced dead weight stag for 4-6 hours up and down Scottish hills and mountains on uneven terrain... then Melody my Highland sure as hell can carry me for upto 30 mins ( at the moment till I am fitter and lighter) to an hour on the flat countryside of Lincolnshire in the walk !!!!!!! I am a fairly well balanced rider with a light seat who knows not to bounce around on her back as it could damage it.

ETA (I know no one is aiming this at me...but as a larger rider there is so much prejudice for women bigger riders than male larger/heavier riders)

Last edited:
Reactions: Flipo's Mum
I am a large rider as you all know I make sure any ponies I am riding have correctly fitted saddles both to me and the pony. I keep my riding to light work while I am big I don't jump only do flat work and hacking or inhand and I am one trying to lose weight and get fitter for myself and for Melody.

I get fed up with reading everywhere that larger riders shouldn't ride. I am sorry but a fully kitted out blues and royal soldier weights a damn sight more than me and no one tells them there to heavy to ride most are blokes over 6 ft tall and big built. Many hunts men are over 18 stone in weight and some show jumper look at Geoff Billington or whatever his surname is... hes no lightweight and competed at the highest level jumping

Surely its better for someone to be outdoors, doing horsey chores and riding than sat at home doing no exercise..... it has got to be healthier for them? If a highland can carry a full grown unbalanced dead weight stag for 4-6 hours up and down Scottish hills and mountains on uneven terrain... then Melody my Highland sure as hell can carry me for upto 30 mins ( at the moment till I am fitter and lighter) to an hour on the flat countryside of Lincolnshire in the walk !!!!!!! I am a fairly well balanced rider with a light seat who knows not to bounce around on her back as it could damage it.

ETA (I know no one is aiming this at me...but as a larger rider there is so much prejudice for women bigger riders than male larger/heavier riders)

I didn't mean to cause any offence, you're right this certainly isn't aimed at anyone.

I'm unsure of what they are trying to establish from the study but I certainly don't think it's aimed at anyone like yourself who has made informed choices.

No one here said larger riders shouldn't ride xx

The original study was initiated by BEF after the uproar at people being asked to leave show rings (adults on small dainty show ponies was the initial concern I seem to remember), They are trying to establish a scientific cut off for what is acceptable so it is less down to opinion. The details are on the BEF website.

Hi @Native Lover - my following reply isn't to you only I just want to ensure that you are able to see;) -

I can totally understand the fuss & palava thats constantly nags at "overweight riders" & being overweight in general. My interest in the study comes from a different set of circumstances thats relatively new to me - I'm not what society labels as overweight but I am very conscious that I'm at the top of of pony's carry-ability (if thats a word:p) not only that but i'm also at the top height wise too (more for me than her) as I find it very difficult to ride her well on my stirrups , I feel like I'm over her neck and on her forehand and also in canter I'm still struggling to find her comfort zone with me on her. She's 1m46 and despite being very food orientated:rolleyes: my RI has had to re-teach me how to balance and ride better in order for her to manage my weight. I'm not tall 5'4" and 60kg (on a good week!) but as I said the study for me gave some helpful advice albeit nothing new but just confirmed that what I'm doing is the best for her given my obesity from her point of view! For me its a good study that I would like to see taken further, I think they would do better re-titling the project to move away from the thinking that its just for "heavy people" when in fact as we all know its a ratio thing.
And if anyone wants to state the obvious feel free as I know I should have bought a bigger horse:p:oops::rolleyes:

Hi @Native Lover - my following reply isn't to you only I just want to ensure that you are able to see;) -

I can totally understand the fuss & palava thats constantly nags at "overweight riders" & being overweight in general. My interest in the study comes from a different set of circumstances thats relatively new to me - I'm not what society labels as overweight but I am very conscious that I'm at the top of of pony's carry-ability (if thats a word:p) not only that but i'm also at the top height wise too (more for me than her) as I find it very difficult to ride her well on my stirrups , I feel like I'm over her neck and on her forehand and also in canter I'm still struggling to find her comfort zone with me on her. She's 1m46 and despite being very food orientated:rolleyes: my RI has had to re-teach me how to balance and ride better in order for her to manage my weight. I'm not tall 5'4" and 60kg (on a good week!) but as I said the study for me gave some helpful advice albeit nothing new but just confirmed that what I'm doing is the best for her given my obesity from her point of view! For me its a good study that I would like to see taken further, I think they would do better re-titling the project to move away from the thinking that its just for "heavy people" when in fact as we all know its a ratio thing.
And if anyone wants to state the obvious feel free as I know I should have bought a bigger horse:p:oops::rolleyes:

Good point, the study did say that it is not a BMI over weight issue, but if the rider is to heavy for the horse (which can still mean a slim person on a smaller horse/pony)

Good point, the study did say that it is not a BMI over weight issue, but if the rider is to heavy for the horse (which can still mean a slim person on a smaller horse/pony)

I should think the fitness of the horse is also a consideration and that isn't mentioned either. An overweight rider on an unfit horse is clearly not going to be a good combination.

newrider.com