Ziggy's hacking diary

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Haway all, Ziggy here.

I don't know what's got into my mum. She keeps banging on about new paddocks and long grass and fat pockets and she stuck a bloody great blue bucket on my head this afternoon so that I couldn't eat. There's gratitude for you. She should have been giving me extra treats for being so good the last few days.

You'll all remember that last week I was feeling frolicsome and bucked her off, then had a few really lunatic spooks on the way to a lesson and made her anxious (huh, my heart bleeds. What was she doing taking me somewhere I would see a horrible horrible cart, anyway?). This week I've been trying to be good, though. Yesterday we went by the scary route again, and I looked at all the things that scared me last time but I couldn't quite muster the energy for a proper spook. I thought she was getting overconfident though, so just as we left the spooky bit I did a really massive spook and gallop off for no reason at all, just to keep her guessing. She just sat tight though and told me I was a numpty, so I stopped when she asked. She gave me a grass nut, yay!

Then she took me out AGAIN this morning and we went all around our heath. No strange routes so I was chilled, but she kept asking me to trot for ages, and whenever I tried to hurry she slowed up her sitting and it made it really hard to get jiggy, so I trotted steadily. And on the big long straight stretch, where normally she only walks, we did long trots and then 10 strides of canter and then long trots again. Felt pretty pointless to me, but anything to oblige, I suppose. I did try a few sideways moves to see if that would get her to let me walk instead, but she kept asking me to trot on. Blimey, hard work!

I kind of like it though when I've done what she wanted and she fusses me and gives me a grass nut and tells me I'm brilliant. Does a pony's self esteem the world of good.

Didn't stop her shoving that *** blue bucket on me though. I'm just standing in the field now looking miserable and watching my mates eat the lovely long grass. There's no justice.

She says we're going back to the hugeous scary school on Thursday, so watch this space. I don't know if I'll be able to resist the urge to get up a bit of speed....

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Love it!!! :biggrin:

Have to say Ziggy I think your Mum is a very brave lady - she isnt going to take any of your old nonsense is she???:giggle:
I suggest when she takes you for another one of those lesson things you best behave yourself - that is one determined lady you are dealing with there. My advice Ziggy, just knuckle down and get on with it - shes obviously going to keep you now isnt she? So you might as well give in gracefully and start enjoying your lovely owner!:biggrin:

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
Yay!! Always lovely to hear from you Ziggy. But I'm afraid I agree with Cortrasna, Mr! Your mummy is a very clever and very determined lady so it'll take more than those little tricks to get you out of work. I think you might have met your match!! :mstickle: