Ziggy's glands are up

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
... the ones where his head joins his neck. You can see them clearly in the little video I posted in my grazing muzzle thread.

He seems fine, but does anyone know why glands would come up all of a sudden? Should I be concerned?

Really don't know, only thing I would suspect is either the start of a summer "cold" or other infection (just probably talking out of my rear there, but only thing I could think?) Do hope he's okay.

Just wondering, maybe because of learning to use the grazing muzzle they look more pronounced? Presume he's okay in himself?

Charlies are up and down at the moment, he gets them every year when the grass comes in - Grass Glands - something about the grass being more sugary , so you produce a lot of saliva - and when the grass is more sugary, a horse also produces more saliva to cope with it and the glands come up.
hes in the nowty paddock during the day now so they are about back to normal as his access to the fresher stuff is restricted more.
Could be it as Ziggy is now back onto grass.

Funny you should post this, just been having a chat with my vet as Belle has them too, grass glands apparently, nothing to worry about unless they are off colour etc is Ziggy out 24/7? Vet says this is common at this time of year especially if they are out and greedy little beggars! Something to do with the salivary glands working overtime, he also said if you bring in for a while they will most probably go down oh and feed from a height if you can to help them go down, but all in all nothing to worry about phew!

Charlies are up and down at the moment, he gets them every year when the grass comes in - Grass Glands - something about the grass being more sugary , so you produce a lot of saliva - and when the grass is more sugary, a horse also produces more saliva to cope with it and the glands come up.
hes in the nowty paddock during the day now so they are about back to normal as his access to the fresher stuff is restricted more.
Could be it as Ziggy is now back onto grass.

^^ this!

Inca's come up every year and are always much better once the grass is restricted. They do occasionally come up if the ground gets very dusty.

I tend to have the girls out on short grass during the day, then in at night with a soaked haynet. They're also on simple system feeds which I soak, so they can be split into a few feeds and trickle fed.

newrider.com