Ziggy in harness

I brought hank a mini shetland size harness and I was glad it was leather as I had to have the saddle/girth, back strap and bridle adjusted to fit him properly :rolleyes:

Totally normal to all be different sizes ! My horse is a full size normally but the harness !!! Welllll ........he's a cob size bridle, PONY size back band, full size breeching and just fits into a full size collar and his bit I had made specifically for him, and my set is from a well known and trusted harness maker, the price was eye watering but I brought it brand new and it would do easily for competitions as well as pleasure driving.

The offer is there again if you want a visit ................. ;)

Reactions: Gimp
Totally normal to all be different sizes ! My horse is a full size normally but the harness !!! Welllll ........he's a cob size bridle, PONY size back band, full size breeching and just fits into a full size collar and his bit I had made specifically for him, and my set is from a well known and trusted harness maker, the price was eye watering but I brought it brand new and it would do easily for competitions as well as pleasure driving.

The offer is there again if you want a visit ................. ;)
That's really interesting Ruskii, it sounds as though he might be a similar shape to Ziggy! Obviously off the shelf harness is not the way forward, alas.

A visit would be lovely, when I have the time...:eek:

Reactions: Ruskii
Off the shelf harness fit off the horses, we don't tend to have those.
My lass has a very wide barrel so the girth and belly band fit. You can change the girth though if it's just that.

It all looks a bit small, agree bridle is too small around the ears. The breastcollar looks like it needs to come down a hole as should be at the broadest part, clearing the windpipe. The breeching needs to come down a hole or two (you don't want it riding up his bum or could make him kick!) it should be halfway between the widest and narrowest bit. The straps are what connects your breeching to the cart. If you can find one a second hand zilco or tedex harness would be the way to go (I have a tedex one and think it was just under £300 new so you should be able to get one second hand at a good price

What Gimp says, Though you might get away with the collar down a hole wither side. Try the bridle on with the bit you are going to use.

Dangly bits at the stifle are your breeching straps that attach to the shafts to stop the cart hitting him up the bum. You also catch up your traces in them when [utting to if you don;t have designated trace carriers

You don;t need the loin strap on his hip bone it will make him sore, Once it's done up to a cart it will be OK, the breeching is a bit snug. It could be tweaked once put too.

newrider.com