Your worst nightmare...

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Well one of mine is a horse returning riderless and that is what happened at work this afternoon. Horse had been at full out gallop for a while judging by the state of it so we knew they were not close by. Search parties sent out on foot, and by car, and of course me on my bike.

Well I have never pedalled so fast with all sorts of awful expectations going through my head and expecting to find the other horse loose round every bend.

Luckily found both riders together, with the other horse which they had managed to hold. Could of all ended alot worse especially as the horse had made its way down a road and several miles of bridleway at full pelt.

Rider very bruised and scraped but hopefully has escaped serious injury and fingers crossed that the horse is okay too.

I have to say having been the rider whose horse has returned without them I can confirms it's a scary experience.

Eowyn slipped after spooking and decked it on the road rolling over me a little, I was concussed and disorientated and if it wasn't for a lovely lady living in a cottage right where it happened (lonely country lane) anything could have gone wrong as I rented a yard by myself. She took me looking for her but it wa clear she's galloped for home and fell a few times :(

I hope rider and horse are ok x

How odd that they hadnt phoned the yard. As soon as they knew the faller was OK. Maisie only tore home once long distance but the Yard knew she was off and away almost as soon as I hit the ground. It is routine to report back. I never fell off hacking solo but had the numbers on my mobile.

How odd that they hadnt phoned the yard. As soon as they knew the faller was OK. Maisie only tore home once long distance but the Yard knew she was off and away almost as soon as I hit the ground. It is routine to report back. I never fell off hacking solo but had the numbers on my mobile.

The horse made it home before they got the chance. The person who had the phone was on the horse which also bolted but horses went in different directions.

Sounds scary. Do you know the full story?

Yes the horses were spooked by two horses approaching from behind in canter. The girls then struggled to settle them and something then set them off at which point they both bolted, track splits the horse that had lost the rider went for home the other kept going the other way for a long way before she was able to stop. All sounds very scary

Without being too flippant as I do realise Ale's experience was probably one that most of us dread - but from the uninjured dumped rider's point of view......having to walk back through the whole length of the village (in full show kit as you were hacking off to a show)....clutching your battered hat under you arm, trying very hard to look nonchalant and dignified, knowing full well your errant steed had already galloped flat out in the direction of home a good 10 minutes before you attracting the attention and curiosity of 75 per cent of the village's population :oops: Long before mobile phones - nobody even bothered to come and look for me, they knew the score with that particular horse and true to form they realised I would hopefully follow on foot at some point! :D

Very very scary - as a child I saw a loose horse gallop across a road, crash into a car and somersault over its bonnet. The occupants got out very shaken and the faces of the driver and front seat passenger were covered in blood, presumably from the shattered windscreen glass. TBH they were lucky to get away with it so lightly, a fraction of a second difference and the horse could have gone straight into the car. It's a major fear of mine - we have narrow bendy roads too and the damage that could be caused by a horse galloping headlong into an oncoming doesn't bear thinking about.

I'm so glad all ended well on your yard @Ale. Phew!

newrider.com