Your weather

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
We've been wet, windy, or wet and windy since Christmas Day when I last rode.
What about you?

I know it's called Winter, but I haven't moved her to the front paddocks because it's more sheltered from the weather before. Really lucky that we have that option.

Ive had the same. Its this relentless wet weather that really knocks the animals.
Since my move round on new years day. The rams all have access to the shed. They are making the most of them to. The hay racks are all full of hay and between 17 boys they are getting through it. Plus they are stealing some of the cow and horse hay which is out in the field. When its raining though they are hiding in the shed.
Ive seen so many pictures of churned up, knee deep mud horses paddocks this week. People questioning what the swelling might be on there horses legs. Let me think. People showing there wellies being sucked off as they try to walk.
I have a few little bits of mud appearing in the gateways where i drive through with the hay and over where i was feeding one lot of sheep. But ive mananged to work out a system to take 3 days worth of hay out at a time, so ive looked after the fields. Whilst theres not much grass, more moss, the fields look green not brown.
The horses get more muddy going for there in hand walks than they do in the field.
Overall its been a mild winter here.
Seen lots of people reporting the grass is starting to grow since new year and horses leaving hay. Not happening here yet.

Last edited:
Thank goodness for my shelter and mud control slabs. The back of the field is still dry enough that he's laying down and rolling every day though. I've got a rested field which I'm going to move him onto just waiting for a couple of dry days before hand. Apart from yesterday which was just sun and wind it's been very very wet!

IMG_20230114_082548.jpg

Yup, wet, wet and more wet here too. Sick of being knee deep in mud. We were saying yesterday that we’ll really try not to complain if we have weeks without rain in the summer, but I bet we do.
To be fair our reservoirs round here really do need this rain, they were so low this summer and still are not back to previous levels.

One of the wettest Januarys II can recall. We're lucky that the field drains well, but there's still mud and Sid's legs are soaking. It's bad for his mall enders, poor boy.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Yes, same here - day after day after day. Every 3 or 4 days we get a bit of respite, so have managed a few rides. Boys are in the small paddock to try and give the fields a rest. One field is lush, and we'll have to watch it when they go in there.

It isn’t any better in the U.S. the West Coast if flooding and there are landslides because of the fires destroying forage in recent years. They desperately need the rain but it in deluges (plural) that it’s coming. They are experiencing one atmospheric storm after another- they may be up to five back-to-back, I’ve lost count.

As for my area in the SE U.S., the tornadoes stayed WNW of me and folks have lost their lives. I got pummeled with rain and actually have mud. Hopefully we have seen enough rain to bring my area out of the Level Two drought we were in.

It was 65(F) Thursday and 35(F) Friday after the storms went thru. We had spitting snow Friday and I was layered up with hand warmers in my gloves, after wearing shorts & t-shirt the day before.

I suppose we've had more rain than normal. I don't find Orkney as wet as where I came from (NW England) as I was only an hour away from the Lake District which is notoriously wet. However, this winter has seemed rather damp up here. But of course it is always windy in the winter - touching wood, those gales have not been as lengthy as in past winters. Sometimes we get a three day affair, whereas they seem to be one-nighters lately.
Our fields are fine, there is only Zi coming and going from the back ones. Storm's front field is okay too, it hasn't been conducive to her going unattended into her paddocks, so it has been hand grazing only and the rest of her time wandering the yard with nets. Roll on spring though, the lighter nights are just fabulous aren't they.

We’ve had rain, but not torrential nor non stop most days, the odd day has been really disgusting though, I’d say we’re still drier than normal (ground wise) here despite it.
I’ve had a week off and had really hoped to ride every day, but it hasn’t worked out, I’ve only ridden once because it’s either rained and/or been really windy every blooming day.

We have had endless rain and I have been stuck indoors all week with a cough. No riding, no horse tme and not much happiness. But there is always next week to look forward to.

We’ve had rain, but not torrential nor non stop most days, the odd day has been really disgusting though, I’d say we’re still drier than normal (ground wise) here despite it.
I’ve had a week off and had really hoped to ride every day, but it hasn’t worked out, I’ve only ridden once because it’s either rained and/or been really windy every blooming day.
Sounds like us.
I might have managed a ride today, however I was sorting the fencing from the last few days of 50mph wind and rain and a storm that wasn't even mentioned in the weather.
I am adamant that the four foot post WILL stay up. 😂 Interestingly it's the side of the field she won't even put her head under or check if it's on or not.

We’ve just got very cold and showers today. No rain forecast yet here it is….. again….

I've also had riding curtailed because of rain and/or wind, but if we have a day's respite the field (which is sand) soaks up all the water and it's still not as muddy as was it 2013, when there were floods all over everywhere and so many power cuts?

I was hoping to get in 3 rides this weekend but I've just agreed to an extra shift so so much for that. Never mind.

We’ve had it pretty much as expected, today is dry and overcast but wind gusting at 40mph.
I’ve not ridden Monkey in the wind yet, but we have company today so we’ll see what he thinks.

Thankfully the snow has gone. There's just bits in the distance on the hill further up. Storm didn't approve though. She didn't even want to roll this morning. Ugh, no way was she getting sleet on her coat. I think she was annoyed at having to walk through it lol

I use accuweather and it’s normally really accurate, to within the hour of when rain will start/stop, and I find the radar really helpful for dashing out between downpours!

newrider.com