Your pet hate in riding lessons?

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
Mine is when a teacher turns round and says accusingly,
"The trouble with YOU is you . . . . . . "

Happened yesterday. You pay the earth to have riding instruction from another adult and they feel that entitles them to deal out unfounded criticism of your character or intellect.
I said nothing, but decided not to employ that woman again.

I hate it when RI teaches me by pretty much riding the horse from the ground . . . my RI doesn't do this - she gives me something to work on and lets me go and try/play with it - then we come back together and she gives me feedback.

I also hate when RIs constantly talk about how good THEY are . . . I get that you're much better at riding them I am - that's why you're teaching me - but I'd much rather we focussed on how to help ME ride better than how still your lower leg is/perfect your hand position is . . . blah, blah, blah My RI does use herself as an example - but in a positive/encouraging way, e.g., "don't worry, I found leg to hand coordination the hardest thing to learn, you'll get it . . . "

N

Happened yesterday. You pay the earth to have riding instruction from another adult and they feel that entitles them to deal out unfounded criticism of your character or intellect.

Gosh, that is so rude. I would have had to say 'The trouble with you is you are a rubbish teacher!'

The only acceptable end to that sentence is "...are too hard on yourself - give yourself some credit!". Otherwise simply unprofessional in any sphere.

The other people in group lessons :eek: I used to ride in kids lessons but was older than the rest. They were rude and only wanted to go fast and jump. I used to ride the new and babies in the lessons so wanted to work hard to improve them - but their stinking attitude resulted in me being cut up at speed, my pony kicking out and throwing me against a wall.

I also don't like it when I ask for feedback and I get "no your position is really good"... And I know it's not, which is why I have an ri! Oh and "she didn't do x"... I bloody well know she didn't, tell me what I need to do to sort it!

I honestly can't fault my two current instructors, but have had RI's with a general air about them of 'I really have better things to do than teach a numpty like you'. Also have experienced teenagers watching a lesson from the side who were very clearly sniggering at us mature riders and whispering amongst themselves.

My own has to be RI answering their mobile during lessons. I've not yet found one who didn't do this. And not just to say "I'm teaching, I'll call you back" which IMO is what voicemail is for anyway. I've had one reel off an entire shopping list and discuss evening plans with her OH before turning back to me as I came to a bored standstill to stare at her.

My own has to be RI answering their mobile during lessons. I've not yet found one who didn't do this. And not just to say "I'm teaching, I'll call you back" which IMO is what voicemail is for anyway. I've had one reel off an entire shopping list and discuss evening plans with her OH before turning back to me as I came to a bored standstill to stare at her.

I do not do this, don't have a moby or a signal!...and if I was in a lesson where it happened I'd walk out and not pay.

My own has to be RI answering their mobile during lessons.

My previous RI used to do this & I thought it was very rude. Usually her daughter phoning for some non-important, RI would often say "I was going to get a Chinese on the way home darling" while I'm stood there like a plank.

I don't think our new Drill Sergeant would do any such thing, most likely because she probably wouldn't be able to hear her mobile over her own voice..... :giggle:

I can understand the above, however to a certain extent as a teacher you are dealing with peoples character and intellect as this effects how they learn and interact with the horse and the teacher. I would never say things in an accusing or rude manner though!

Last edited:
Mine is those that don't talk loudly enough for me to hear easily.

The other is expecting me to know school letters. I haven't a clue as I don't ride in a school often enough.

Dont do lessons now did not do much to begin with far to much hard work involved every RI appears to have different opinions and different techniques different prices and most important different abilities in teaching, however it is important that you are taught good skills.

I honestly can't fault my two current instructors, but have had RI's with a general air about them of 'I really have better things to do than teach a numpty like you'. Also have experienced teenagers watching a lesson from the side who were very clearly sniggering at us mature riders and whispering amongst themselves.

Yep exactly what LBR said, RIs are great, but I really hate an audience. Esp teenagers who are lucky enough to have had lessons from birth (Jealous?? Becha boots I am!! :redface:)

instructors screeching for no reason and never explaining why things are done! also don't like ones who don't take 'no!' for an answer eg. i am an adult. if i say 'i do not wish to jump in this lesson' then that is precisely what I mean and no, I am not toying with you!

also don't like the 'kick and pull' brigade whose main aim in life seems to be to 'show 'em who's boss!'

(and I hate being called 'darling' etc.!)

Someone who shouts "Sit up straight, inside leg to outside hand!"

I prefer someone who says, "How straight do you think your spine is? How would he react if you changed it?"

The other thing is technical terms. It's amazing how many we all use without realising. I noticed this on my daughters lessons and had to explain to her what some of it meant.

I also hate being told to do something without knowing why. It helps me to understand what's going on and for it to sink in.

I hate it when instructors get on the horse to 'show you how it is done'. My current instructor doesn't do this, but previous ones have. I'm well aware that they are a better rider than me, that's why I am having lessons with them! This makes some sense if it is a particular problem you are having with your own horse, but when you are on a riding school horse it is very frustrating.

I guess my only grumble would be not having stuff sufficiently explained. For example; I like to know WHY the horse or pony does something - and how I can correct it in great detail. Not just a stock answer, or something so technical that I can't possibly get my head around it!

Just wanted to also say though, it must not be easy teaching somebody to ride in the first place, particularly older people like me, as I have a tendency to lose concentration if I am nervous and can make a lot of blunders. In fact, I probably try their patience at times..........

newrider.com