Your favourite type of hacking?

I'm with you No_Angel. I prefer tracks and paths through the forestry as well - used to love my area as a kid, we had no end of narrow tree lined paths we stupidly cantered along trying to dodge low branches. Usually came out the other end with a leaf stupidly stuck in your hat. Our field was on forestry commission land which mean't we had the key to all their padlocks and could roam freely (wouldn't do that nowadays - would get into too much trouble!!)

Haven't been able to fully explore the area I'm in now since my horse is a spookmyster deluxe, so all we seem to do is walk around the fields - incredibly dull and boring. Hopefully we'll get to go a little further in the future!

Mixed. :D

I'm lucky I can do open fields, woods, tracks, country lanes and roads and built up area (village) all in the same 30 minute hack.

Woodlands, moorlands, coastal. I just LOVE riding in the woods, especially in the spring or autumn.

Im spoilt rotten being so close to the new forest so have both forest and heathland in one ride but I have to confess, we like to be naughty and come off the main tracks and go 'trail blazing'. Not environmentally friendly but sometimes I just cant resist seeing were that bare patch over there might lead us... ! I particularly like to explore hilly bits just to see if we can do it but occasionally have to get off and readjust my saddle if its a REALLY steep one :eek: LOL Im getting over that obsession now, much to Rosie's relief!

Im easily bored and like to change stuff all the time - I try not to do the same ride more than once in a week but preferably a fortnight. I keep threatening to do a beach ride but havent organised it yet. The canter work has been ongoing and we tend to canter along sandy paths - of course now, the minute we hit a sandy path....... so whilst looking forward to a day on the beach, think it'll be a wild one!

Stressy week, not been feeling well etc so today I pointed Rosie at a hill, tilted my head back to get the sun on my face and shut my eyes and let her get on with it. I felt a little sea sick :eek: but it was lovely. So guess favourite hack depends on how I feel that day.

If I have to pick one, theres a ride near us that within a 6 miles route has sandy track, long straight track (a mile long - old railway), road, a really big hill, heathland, some wetland - everything all in one ride! If I had to chose one, that'd be it :D

anything thats got good flat paths to ride on....we have lots of fields with 4m wide tracks around them...this means its all lovely and flat with no possibility of my horses twisting their fetlocks and going lame again....:( like on narrow tracks and well worn tracks through forests.

We have a bit of everything (except the beach....miss that lots) so its perfect for us!

Any hack that I only have one spin, one rear, one spook and only a copy of steps running backward is classed as an excellent hack for us. :eek:

Lol:D

I do both but, i have to, it is the only way to ge out to far away places.

I ride for 3 and 4 hours at a time so have to use main roads too.
But given the choice, i love the countryside, trees and fields, all that makes me dream that i live in the olden Wuthering Heights days! oh bliss!

I actually really love open fields as long as I am going up them!!! But, we have a mix here of woods, fields, tracks, and roads. I always get a bit nervous in the woods even though it's gorgeous as the tracks are quite narrow and they are mostly on a slope.

I like variety, but especially enjoy rolling country with woodland and ever changing views.

Have to say I'm pretty partial to country estates too, especially galloping over the lawns in front of the house:cool:

Never ridden on a beach though :(

I like variety, but especially enjoy rolling country with woodland and ever changing views.

Have to say I'm pretty partial to country estates too, especially galloping over the lawns in front of the house:cool:

Never ridden on a beach though :(

I would love to do the Beach Yann!

It is such a long from here to the nearest beach, about 2-3 hours to the nearest and i would not like them to be in the trailer that long.

I would love to do the Beach Yann!

Yep, we're both similarly landlocked :D I think the nearest, or easiest to get to for me would be Cleethorpes, but it's an awful long way.

My favourite type of hacking is one where i go out on my own and spend quality time with just the heard of 2.
But then i also like to go out with a friend and have a natter at same time we're working on whatever we're working on, along with some long rein resting periods. Usually those rides i've got some sweets in the saddle bag:)

I like the choice where i am, i can see the beach from the field so i can pop down when tide is right, or i have country park bit further over (though not much point as most we're not allowed on)

I have two country pubs i can stop off at, two woods within hacking distance if you feel like doing a 10 mile hack, which i do. I have permission to ride at farm. So all in all i'm quite content with my lot really.

Generally I go hacking out on tracks over the moors. So on the plus side, the views are fantastic, it's quiet and it's probably the best place to potter about, but it's a tad cold and windy in the winter, and it's all stony tracks and lots of steep hills, so we can never go faster than a walk. There's nothing quite like the feeling though of complete silence when you're the only person up there, so it's certainly not something I'd give up just for the option to go faster :)

The beach is lovely for a complete change, but it is over an hour away and gets boring very quickly to be honest - it's flat and there's nothing to see or do that's any different as we're not allowed to ride in the sand dunes at the edge of the beach (tried it once and got told off :eek:).

Stop it - I am getting really jealous! We do live in a very rural area, but there are few bridleways within hacking distance, so most of our riding is on the roads. Thankfully, a lot of these are quieter narrow lanes, but that does make meeting tractors/buses/lorries more interesting :eek:

Also, we don't really have grass verges, so having a canter is rare :(

When I finally have my much dreamed of horsebox I will be able to get to some lovely off-road riding within about 1 hour drive of here - mountains/forests/beaches .... Shame that I didn't win the Lottery :rolleyes:

Ali xx

newrider.com