Yoga Ball Exercises

whirlybird

Sep 5, 2012
Renfrewshire, Scotland
So, since I returned to riding, I've been thinking about my general fitness (crap), balance (crap) and core strength (makes wet tissue seem like solid steel...). Following major abdominal surgery 3 years ago, combined with my dodgy back, I'd pretty much become totally inactive and it's only this summer that I've realised how dire things had become and started to make strides to improve them:frown:

I've started riding (mega-yay!), swimming (not so yay, but ok) and am trying to walk more, and the riding is really acting as a brilliant motivator to do a bit more, however I'm completely allergic to gyms, exercise classes, etc, and I've no intention of changing that :wink:

But, in my dog training shed, I have one of those yoga/pilates balls (actually an egg shape). Yes, it does get used for dog training, but I reckon I could use it to improve my balance and core strength. The only problem is that I have no idea what exercises I could/should do on it beyond just sitting astride it, so can anyone suggest some appropriate exercises?

(Mods, if this is in the wrong place I'm sorry!)

I do Pilates every week at a local class and do it once a week at home. I use my ball quite a lot. I find it really beneficial and I'm looking forward to seeing how it affects my riding (I'm currently 8 mths pregnant!). I find that it really helps with back ache and that I have much better balance. I've had a pretty trouble free pregnancy and altho I've been active throughout it I do think Pilates has helped.

If I were you I would find a local class to go to and learn properly how to do it. It's all in the breathing and the technique and I think that would be impossible to learn properly from a book. Also you probably won't get the results you want on your own. A good instructor should also be able to work around any health problems you have and actually even help them to improve. I had a knee op last year and was really worried that pregnancy, the extra weight and loose ligaments would cause it lots if trouble but actually it feels great because at my class I work on things specifically to strengthen it.

Thanks Crinkles! That sounds like solid advice, I guess I better decide whether to get over my life-long distaste for exercise classes, or keep the ball for the dogs:smile:

A good class is the way forward and beware of your condition. Not all instructors are qualified to teach people with injuries that require a more personnel instructor so chat to them before you join and check their quals.

I say this as I am a qualified vibe (spinning) and kettle ball instructor but you don't get taught how to give remedial training to people with injuries but how to teach the general public.

I am currently on a rehab course being taught how to use the yoga ball, foam roller, core exercise and matts and equipment for my condition and it is different for everyone.

But that said there are a couple of simple exercises you can do to help the core that will not require a class and can be done while watching the TV.

Yoga could help as well as Pilates, but I'd echo what others have said - get some instruction so you make sure you are doing the exercises in a way that won't hurt you.

Well, I'm trying hard to overcome my objections to classes (yup Crinkles, all that sweaty redness, but also that horrid feeling that everyone else is watching....) and have located and emailed a couple of pilates instructors local to me, so we'll wait and see if there are any replies! Not a huge range of choice around here, but it will need to be local if there's any chance of me keeping my motivation up - the further away, the easier the excuses to not go become!

newrider.com