Yard WWYD? (now seen it)

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I don't have any issues with my yard beyond the kids trespassing (mostly cured now but I thought that last summer too) and the occasional drunk in my driveway because its on a back road of the town and used as a cut through from the high street to a housing estate, other than that I love it but it will be sold once the currently elderly (in a care home) owner passes.

I have become aware of a 2.5 acre property available, its maybe 1.5 miles further out into the forest, way off the beaten track but the owner lives on site, has stables, power, water (all mod cons ;)) I don't want to waste the chaps time, but should I go and look? I haven't seen it myself before, just been told about it by a friend.

It would mean starting all over again :rolleyes: but to have longevity and a more secure location I'm willing to consider it, though the down side is no other horsey people about if I ever need a hand.

Reactions: MrC
I definitely would. No matter how much you like your current set up it's obvious that it's likely to come to an end sooner rather than later. If you wait until that happens you'll be pressured into taking whatever is available & maybe not having much control over grazing & herd arrangements. Based on the little you know this place sounds well worth a look & if I liked it I wouldn't hesitate to move.

I definitely would. No matter how much you like your current set up it's obvious that it's likely to come to an end sooner rather than later. If you wait until that happens you'll be pressured into taking whatever is available & maybe not having much control over grazing & herd arrangements. Based on the little you know this place sounds well worth a look & if I liked it I wouldn't hesitate to move.

Yes me also, I think you should definitely go look.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
My first thought is to get away from the stress of having to watch over my shoulder all winter (everything feels worse in the dark :oops:) but I don't want to be pressured into moving either. I would definitely miss the big barn, that has been an absolute god send this winter, but I don't know that this other place doesn't have something, it's actually that making me think about it...before I order my winter hay in because I'd hate to get that in then have to move.

Reactions: Trewsers
Yes see your point about getting hay in and then having to move. I do think it's worth looking at - I absolutely know where you are coming from about the dark too in winter:(
And lets face it, winter can be long!
Hmm. Lots to think about for you.

Reactions: Jessey
When the summer months come, it is easy to forget just how long and dark winter is. There is no harm at all in looking at the new place. It may not have a barn, but if you don't use the stables then surely you could store your hay in there?

I don't know how you cope with no running water. That must be such hard work.

I could store hay in the stables but I normally buy big bales as its half the price :p and it would also depend on if there is also a shelter of some sort (or if I could put one up) as my barn is currently duel purpose. I need to go look and figure it all out I guess :)

I don't have running water but do have a borehole that I pump water from, so I'm better off that lots around here who fill containers at home :)

Agree go and have a look. It sounds like you will have to move eventually anyway so worth considering options now.

Reactions: Jessey
I've just seen the yard, on first impressions it's ideal for me, a mile from a road in any direction, surrounded by arable fields and forest. It's not as good as my current place for my horses tho. Same price as current place.

It's more like 1.5 acres, my friend said it was 2.5 but the owner said its under 2 but I'm sure it's a lot smaller than the 2 they are on now (I have 3.5 total currently). It's wooden post and top rail with stock fence beneath. He said sown with horse mix but it looks like quite a lot of rye in it and a lot of clover, some ragwort but probably only an hours work to clear it. There's no trees or hedges in the paddock. The owners bungalow is about 15' from the fence and they are happy to keep an eye or open the gate to the corral daily.

There's 2 stables accessed from opposite sides of an old dairy barn (not visible from one another), big (probably 12' deep but 16' wide, but a 10" step, right the way across, half way back. 1 has a small corral out the front with a gate into the paddock. Both have lights and a tack room accessed through the stable. There are a couple of other storage areas for hay/bedding but only 1 with big bale access and you'd get maybe 2 rounds or a cart in. Also a large barn with junk in for other storage, though not sure he'd want a big stack of hay in there.

Loads of riding but most connecting tracks are very stoney (big flints) between grassy ones.

He's a lovely chap, an ex sheep farmer, and commented about another of his paddocks where she grazes it too short and won't let him fertilise it, but said I could track/do as I wanted, I just worry he might not like looking at a very bare track for a lot of the year. He's 65 and they've no intent of ever leaving the farm.

newrider.com