Yard manners

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
I think I'm ever so slightly overreacting here but, does it bother anyone else when they get to the yard and find that someone has obviously been tying their horse up outside your stable? As I say I'm probably overreacting but it really annoys me, especially when they can't even be bothered to sweep up their mess or replace broken tie loops. I mean at the end of the day what's wrong with tying up outside your own stable???
On the plus side I suppose I should chill as I won't be there much longer.

Yes it did annoy me as we all have stables with room to tie up outside each. Not bothered at this yard as everyone in the barn is nice and I offer my stables up if anyone needs it.

There is one stable on our yard that everyone seems to tie their horse outside to get shoes done etc as it is right at the door of the big barn. I had Rubic in it for a bit (but it was over summer so she wasn't really in using the stable) but it was horrible. People used to leave their stuff there too hay, feet trimmings, rugs, hoof picks etc it was a shambles. My friend is in there now and she gets so annoyed. I understand that, for whatever reason, sometimes people may need to tie their horse up somewhere else but it is only common courtesy to tidy up your mess after you!

If that bugs you, you wouldn't cope on ours when you arrive to find a horse in their waiting to be trimmed then.

All the horses on my yard are on either full or part livery. What annoys me is when a livery picks out their horses feet on the yard they always leave it for the yard staff to clear up. Similarly, if a horse poos on the yard most liveries will leave that as well.

I think I am the only livery who uses a skip to pick feet out into, and I always pick up poo.

Yes it would bug me too, luckily no one ties up outside Cracker because he is oposite the Stallion and he would try to bite their bum.

But what bugs me most is that I spend a fortune on haynets (9 in the last 12 months) and they are all used for everyone else and mine always gets one with a bloody great hole in it, when I want to slow his eating down :banghead: And he sometimes gets someone elses water bucket when his clearly has his name on it in very large letters. :banghead:

I dont think you can avoid this type of annoyance in Yards though, I try to keep in in perspective. He is generally well looked after, he has hay and water, he gets as much turn out as possible, has a warm dry stable and is put out and brought in. If he was ill or injured, the YM is a qualified vetinary nurse so he would be well looked after, and she can do injections which saves a lot of Vet call outs. For me it balances out, and I try to keep my OCD re nets and buckets under control.

I used to buy a new leadrope EVERY week as mine were used by everybody bar me! Head collars - least a new one per month and don't get me started on brushes and forks! I tied mine up with baler twine so it was not so easy to "borrow" but the "borrower" cut the twine and then informed me it was a pain and could I stop doing that!!!!!!

Ooooh, I had forgotton about lead ropes, add them to the list, my grooming stuff is under lock and key. :ninja:

I have started buying EVERYTHING in pale and dark blue stripes wherever possible, so at least I can identify it as mine when I retrieve from someone elses stable.

Yes it used to bug me!!! Specially bits of poop and straw being left behind!!

I think that's the thing Trewsers, I am a very tidy person and always leave the yard (well my bit) how I like to find it. It would appear on my yard though I am in the minority.

:frown: I'm quite shocked at all that! I'd never dream of using anyone else's buckets, haynets or tools etc unless I had to and I'd ask first! Even at the yard where people were stealing feed and hay no-one ever tried to use my buckets and haynets.

If that bugs you, you wouldn't cope on ours when you arrive to find a horse in their waiting to be trimmed then.

Nope you are right I would have an absolute fit! In fact not so long ago I got to the yard to find hair, bit's of skin and maggots outside my stable, wriggling around, turns out one of the other liveries pony had an infection in it's tail and they decided to use my stable as it was closest to the kettle for warm water to clean it with! I did throw a complete wobbly at that - it was gross.
The way I see it is we all pay for our stable,grazing and facilities, we all have the same so why not use your own and don't be so lazy as to me that is what it boils down too, people who just cant be arsed.

There is only one spot on our yard where people can tie up that isn't outside a stable (and even then it is opposite two stables), so it's inevitable that some mess gets left behind. Most people are pretty good about tidying up after themselves, but I would not like to be in one of the stables beside the main doors where the farriers work.

Luckily I am in an outside stable so nobody would tie up there, I will admit to having a wee word with one of the owners who's sharer never bothered sweeping their hay up from the outside the box beside mine.....miraculously it would disappear the next morning when it had blown in front of mine and I would have to do the job at 6am! Usually I am not one to bother about these things, but when it is happening every day it gets a bit grating.

Somebody using my stable wouldn't really bother me so long as it was left how they found it and any hay/bedding replaced.

No one borrows my halters as they don't know how to tie them and my lead ropes are 12ft long. :giggle:
I do have short ones but one is left in the stable-away from the nearest other ones.
Brooms walk here until I smeared fresh poo on my handles-nr tip from someone. :biggrin:

My hay is yard hay so doesn't matter if gets eaten, I don't have hay in my stable anymore much to the disgust of cob. Its March.

I think that's the thing Trewsers, I am a very tidy person and always leave the yard (well my bit) how I like to find it. It would appear on my yard though I am in the minority.

I wonder if its lack of thought/teaching or just manners. If you haven't been taught to sweep the yard, pick into a bucket, would you actually do it.
I always clean my riding boots after use, once dried no one else does. I clean my tack box regularly, no one else does.

I wonder if its lack of thought/teaching or just manners. If you haven't been taught to sweep the yard, pick into a bucket, would you actually do it.
I always clean my riding boots after use, once dried no one else does. I clean my tack box regularly, no one else does.

Not a bad point NF - when I first had a paddock to myself I didn't realise I'd have to poo pick it myself and that it was only right to do so. Not sure what I thought was going to happen to the poo! The yard previous to this never mentioned it so I just assumed it would be done. Bit different to leaving poop on the yard but the thing is the same if you've not been told and don't know it's expected.
Having said that, I think most folk would realise it was bad mannered to leave poop outside someone elses box?

I dread to think what their homes are like then! I was always taught to be tidy at home and that just spilled over to the yard I suppose, I don't pick into a bucket but I always sweep up after myself, I too clean my boots, grooming kit and tack box regularly too. I just think if you look after things they will last a whole lot longer.

I dread to think what their homes are like then! I was always taught to be tidy at home and that just spilled over to the yard I suppose, I don't pick into a bucket but I always sweep up after myself, I too clean my boots, grooming kit and tack box regularly too. I just think if you look after things they will last a whole lot longer.

Can I add in another pet hate-not clearing up poop in the school. I guess they assume it will "wash away"
But its not nice lunging and walking in other people's poop.

Can I add in another pet hate-not clearing up poop in the school. I guess they assume it will "wash away"
But its not nice lunging and walking in other people's poop.

I have always picked up the poop in the school - it's good manners and also as you say who wants to ride / lunge through it?!

newrider.com