Xmas songs!

Gimp

Gimpy Gimp Gimp
Jan 19, 2005
So since were beginning the big build up! I wondered whats everyones fave xmas song, and do any inparticular have any fond memories attached?

My personal fave is War is over, it always makes me feel all tingly when I hear it.

I also like rocking around the xmas tree! and one that brings back memories for me is Chris Rias 'driving home for xmas' it reminds me of when I was a kid and used to drive back up north for xmas . We had moved down south for a few years with my fathers job and we all missed family and friends up north. Was always an exciting time to see people again.

Recently I seemed to get the blues a little bit before xmas, but this year is different I have so much to look forward to :D

my fave songs are fairytale of new york, and last christmas. The latter takes me back to being a very young child. It really reminds me of my family.:happy:

my fave songs are fairytale of new york, and last christmas. The latter takes me back to being a very young child. It really reminds me of my family.:happy:

Ohhh fairytale of new York ! yes how could I forget that one! Actually that one reminds me of a village pub some years ago( god must be about 10yrs ago now:frown:), was a great little community and it would be rocking on a xmas eve :dance:

Ohhh fairytale of new York ! yes how could I forget that one! Actually that one reminds me of a village pub some years ago( god must be about 10yrs ago now:frown:), was a great little community and it would be rocking on a xmas eve :dance:

fairy tale of new york is more a recent choice from being in my 20's in the pub singing along to it:giggle:

SHAKIN STEVENS!!!! What's not to like?!! lol his Christmas song always makes me smile! I am soooooo old I actually remember it when it came out originally!!!!!

And the Phil Spector one with the reindeer whinnying always makes me happy and cry at the same time (I really don't know why?!)

Me, I like traditional Christmas music. Can't get enough of the Sixteen singing things like "A Spotless Rose" and "Three Kings". Probably because I went to King's College Cambridge and heard the choir performing these beautiful pieces all the time!

Does anyone go to midnight mass for carol singing? I am really not religious atall in the sense of attending church or having a set belief, however one year I went to midnight mass with a gang of others and it was quite magical experience! Id do it again! Is it hypocritical of me to do that though considering Im not a follower of anyone really?:unsure: I really enjoyed the candlelit carol singing and wishing everyone a merry xmas when we left and toddled of home.

Fairytale of New York is one of my favourites too. And Silent Night, White Christmas, The First Noel. Actually I think I love them all!:biggrin:

We used to always go to midnight mass....it was compulsory in our neck of the woods. I can remember being very, very young and so excited to stay up in the middle of the night, and I also remember falling asleep on my father's shoulder on the way home.

My mother would put the turkey in the oven when we got home and it would slowly cook away until Christmas lunch time. I have never, ever managed to make mine taste quite as nice as hers....I suspect some secret ingredient or method was never disclosed!:redcarded:

Gimp I would imagine with rapidly dwindling congregations they would be glad to see you come through the door, whatever the reason! The very best start to Christmas I think, with the carols and everything.:smile:

I always fancied the idea of going to midnight mass on Christmas Eve. Nearest I ever got was at our last house we lived just down the lane from a lovely little church and so we used to walk down and listen to the carol services on the run up to Christmas. We never actually went inside - but it was nice to listen all the same.
I find most carols make me cry as I've got older - must be my hormones or something!

I always fancied the idea of going to midnight mass on Christmas Eve. Nearest I ever got was at our last house we lived just down the lane from a lovely little church and so we used to walk down and listen to the carol services on the run up to Christmas. We never actually went inside - but it was nice to listen all the same.
I find most carols make me cry as I've got older - must be my hormones or something!

I must admit I did get a bit emotional at the carols before the service, and some of the more traditional carols I hear on the TV etc make me well up a bit! I think it just makes me feel grateful for so much. I know last year with my baba I was very emotional listening to them on TV! ( defo hormones!):redface:

When I was with my first husband we always went to midnight Mass at the highest church we could find in the area. They tend to be very busy for that service but it's always lovely. The church on the top of Harrow On The Hill used to be lit just with candles and wreathed with holly & ivy, just gorgeous, and the choir was pretty good for amateurs too.

*sigh*

I love a carol. My favourite Christmas songs are Santa Baby and Fairy Tale Of New York - and of course Last Christmas. Who can resist a young George Michael in a sweater his nan apparently knitted for him?

Another one brought up going to Cambridge on Christmas Eve, Midnight Mass in Ely Cathedral followed by parish church choir for family service on Christmas day before opening presents!

For the last 25ish years it has been horses before presents opened to an awful 1960's record only played on Christmas morning!

I still love the old carols and start my Christmas now on Radio/TV with service from Kings, I get goosepimples at the beginning of the solo singer in 'Once in Royal' every year

I still love the old carols and start my Christmas now on Radio/TV with service from Kings, I get goosepimples at the beginning of the solo singer in 'Once in Royal' every year

I carried candles at the Christmas Eve service a couple of times and I can tell you it gives all the little boys in the choir goosebumps too, because they never know who is going to sing it until the choirmaster points at him at the very moment!
:cold:

I love all Christmas songs and Carols!! Particular faves are Fairytale of New York, All I Want For Christmas Is You, Last Christmas and Silent Night.

We go to Midnight Mass (at 6pm!) love singing carols before the Mass starts, then it's off t'pub afterwards! :biggrin:

I quite like the waitresses' Christmas Wrapping. It appeared on the Christmas CD in my work (when I worked in a clothing shop) every year. I have some songs off that CD that give me horrible memories on Christmas but that song makes me smile, I think it reminds me of the good times I had working there!

I can't stand War is Over.... I really don't know what it is about that song, I just don't like it.

I love listening to choirs singing and I do like cheesy songs like Last Christmas etc

Bah humbug cant be bothered with the whole thing think i will go to work on christmas day. In my fathers time christmas was a normal working day up here i remember him going to work on christmas day he just knocked off early, ah the good old days, little boys working up chimneys, the poor house, bare feet, outside toilets, cold water washing, central heating hadnt been invented och i'm getting fair nostalgic, god how i miss the good old days. Ok so i am exaggerating a little bit.

newrider.com