would you tack up and ride a wet horse

raggydoll

Hattie & Bimble
May 16, 2005
North Lincolnshire
Just wondering as it was mentioned on another thread. I was always taught not to but it seems that some people do. So should you tack up and ride your horse when wet or not? and why?

Depends what they are wet from. If they are sweating excessively, no, because obviously there is a problem.

If they are wet from the rain (or snow in my case), I usually towel them off or blow dry for a couple of minutes and then start tacking up...but I also have an indoor arena, so they stay out of the cold when I'm riding

In the summer though, I don't care whatsoever. I have a horse who loves getting wet and gets hosed off before I ride ;)

so all these times i've put off riding cos Bims got wet in the rain i didnt have to! That will certainly make life easier in the winter then a quick towel dry and off we go. And to think if i hadnt ask i might never have done different :rolleyes:

(just talking about wet from rain - or hosed down when muddy)

I wouldn't! A damp horse would get a rub with a towel and then I'd be happy to, but a wet horse No. I'd be concerned that the tack might rub and/or the horse may become chilled. Remember though that I am in the British climate which is completely different from the tropicalclimate of Florida (I'm afraid I don't know about the Alberta climate).

i might put them in the stable to dry, or rub them off, but i usually dont ride if its raining (dont like getting my tack wet and horses dont really like riding in the rain), but my lot always seem to be dry wen i get there after its rained.

Personally I would never ride a wet horse as it causes rubs and would be uncomfortable for the horse, thats why I use rugs so I can ride

I would, and did so the other day. I wish they did cordless hairdryers because I'd be using it all the time. I tend to towel dry Stumps as best I can and then tack up as normal.

Towel drying really does help. Was it a synthetic nylon girth you used? That tends to give rubs and sores but the thorowgood/wintec style girths tend not to rub.

Oh right...apologies for getting it wrong hun :)

Was he soaked through when you rode then? So interested because I want to get away with riding my wet chubster!

To throw a spanner in the works I was always taught it was fine to ride a wet horse so long as it went back to the field cool. We didn't usually towel dry them and they didn't get any saddle sores.

When you ride and the horse sweats, he'll get wet under the saddle anyway. I don't see that this is different from tacking up a wet horse.

If the horse is wet, then presumably he has some reason to be wet :) Taking him *back* out into that weather, wet, in order to ride...how is that different? How is he more likely to get chilled while exercising than he would be when just wet?

newrider.com