Would you buy lamintic pony

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I'd consider it but it would depend hugely on the cause of the lami, if it was concussive or toxic I would be more inclined to consider it than if it was caused by a metabolic problem. If it were a metabolic issue it would def reflect in the price for me, initially as I would want xrays and bloods done, then longer term its probably drugs and other ongoing treatment. If it were a one off, say in one foot due to injury to the other leg and being non weight bearing on it, then I wouldnt expect it to change the value as much.

Reactions: Native Lover

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
If it's only had it once and is perfect for what's needed in every other way then yes. So long as I had the time and flexibility to manage the weight issues etc. I know it's not always appropriate if you are on a yard where the others are fed hayledge and there is no way of sectioning off. Also I would consider the amount of exercise it was going to need to help keep weight down - always assuming the lami was originally caused by a weight / feeding / met issue.

Reactions: Native Lover

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
No because a pony with problems isn't perfect for a child.
After watching a child lose their pony because the laminitis couldn't be managed I wouldn't buy one already with this. They only had the pony a year.

CMP

Jan 15, 2010
One of my ponies is laminitic. I didn't know about it prior to him coming to me. I actually don't think previous owner knew about it either. It was farrier that told me when he got his first trim. He has had 2 episodes in the 20 months I have had him. I have had him tested for ems and cushings. He is borderline ems.

I love him to pieces but it's mega stressful but think I have now got his management under control. It's been a very steep learning curve.

I would never purchase and I would not have taken my guy on had I known. I wouldn't change him for the world but it's a constant source of worry to me.

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
No never - it is probably one of the worst conditions to manage, and very often it can end up with the poor pony having a very questionable quality of life. Different altogether if yours eventually develops the problem, or you unknowingly get one with the problem. but to buy one that you KNOW has the issue is madness IMO.

I suspect my little Bertie donkey is now developing a metabolic problem that caused his mild laminitis in the winter....the logistics of managing him and his differing needs alongside Dolly and Joseph are daunting to say the least.:(

joellie

Apr 24, 2011
N.Ireland
No, having lost a mare to laminitis in the past and now my old pony has cushings with bouts of lgl I would NEVER knowingly buy a pony or horse with a history of laminitis, way way to stressful to cope with. I am always constantly worrying about feed, turnout, weight etc

Reactions: horseandgoatmom

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
No. I've got two with metabolic problems, at best it isn't easy to manage & at times it's soul destroying when everything I do isn't enough.

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I did buy one, but not intentionally! My farrier said the first time he shod Ziggy that he thought he had had lami in the past. And he has had it again.

eml

Apr 29, 2002
Leicestershire
www.ivanhoeequestrian.net
Not as a child's pony but would for the RS as a lot of laminitic ponies benefit from the harder work. We have just taken one on loan and certainly would not pay more than a nominal price and would want a vet/farrier report to check there has been no rotation. Bear in mind we have an ideal set up with lots of small riders, different types of grazing/stabling/sand turnout and feeding.