Would he be ok to teach to drive?

Teazle

Sep 8, 2007
Our pony is a bit small for me, child has a new horse, and although we might get pony a sharer for a few days a week, I was wondering about teaching him to drive - as something fun to do. Problem is though, he's scared of 4x4s. Is always 100% fine if there's someone walking with him though, so we could stick to that. I don't know if blinkers would help, but if they wouldn't, are there any places off road where you can drive?

He's very willing, loves working and is feeling a bit down and unloved at the moment. It would be something his 'person' could do with him too, as after riding the loan horse she doesn't really have the motivation to do something similar with him.

He's in good health and has lots of good sense (self preservation being his strong point!). He's sensitive in his mouth and stops like a dream, too.

So what do you think?

What breed is he?

Most ponies can learn to drive, some take longer than others, but so long as it's done with the individual in mind and time taken there's no reason he couldn't learn.

Blinkers will only stop him seeing behind, He must be able to see in front and the ground in front of him too. I have found that ponies can behave totally differently in harness as they behave under saddle. Andy takes on a responsible air in harness, but under saddle he giggles and takes his duties less seriously. You might find that he stops being silly at 4X4s.

You can only try.

newrider.com