Would anyone like to be part of my dissertation?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
I was originally going to do bacterial culture studies but you'll be pleased to know that's not been approved due to covid.

Plan J (yes I've had alot of other ones refused) is to do an equine body condition score comparison between the start and the end of winter.

Harder to do virtually but I reckon still possible! All I would need is;

1. A picture from each side and behind now and again in late Feb
2. A weigh tape reading if possible both times.
3. A few details on your management over winter. I've made a really short questionnaire which I could email to you.

Virtual carrots and cake for anyone who wants to help me out. You would remain completely anonymous and your equines name can be changed. I would need to use your pictures in the dissertation appendix though. Anyway you might not be interested but if you are message me ☺️

Absolutely, you can have my 4 and another 8 I can get easy access to (good friends I see every week) if you'd like :D Would a hands on video help, so you can see how far hands push in etc. if they are fuzzy?

Reactions: MrA
I'd be happy to contribute but am not very experienced at the body condition scoring. It would be 2 equines, one 2 year old and one 22 year old. All possible guidance requested!

I’d be happy to help if you wanted. I can do Zi and Chloe but not Storm as it wouldn’t be a true picture given her limited turnout?

Absolutely, you can have my 4 and another 8 I can get easy access to (good friends I see every week) if you'd like :D Would a hands on video help, so you can see how far hands push in etc. if they are fuzzy?
A video would be really great actually! Good idea, my solution was going to be poke and photograph but video would be even better! Thankyou

Reactions: Jessey
I’d be happy to help if you wanted. I can do Zi and Chloe but not Storm as it wouldn’t be a true picture given her limited turnout?
It's really good to have a selection of all sorts of horses kept in all different ways, so as long as it wouldn't cause any problems for her more than happy for all of them to be included. Thankyou ?

I will message you all soon. Might be easier to liaise with emails but I'll get in touch with you all and we can work that out. I can fully explain the procedure to you. I know that pictures themselves won't be as accurate as it's a combination of feel and look but that actually gives me more to talk about too. Thankyou everyone that's really helpful ☺️

If my 3 girls qualify I'd love to get involved,. Especially after my recent misstep with Hulaberry's weight I would love to learn at the same time.

@Ale perhaps you could do a set of pics, measurements and video of Ale to show us exactly what you want then we can all copy it so you get repeatable information :D
Very good idea. I'll get it all done asap, just waiting for my teacher to authorise it so fingers crossed now. It would make sense to have this in case we go into another lockdown

I will message you all tomorrow with more details ☺️ if anyone knows anyone who doesn't rug all winter could you see if they would get involved, I'm a bit short of unrugged volunteers! Thank you!

We are mainly unrugged Ale if that helps? But its our first winter on the track but couldn't swear that he'll stay that way. It's my intention to if possible, but we'll have to see how he goes!

We are mainly unrugged Ale if that helps? But its our first winter on the track but couldn't swear that he'll stay that way. It's my intention to if possible, but we'll have to see how he goes!
That's great, even some rugging is fine as I may end up grouping those rug heavily and those who rug a little or not at all. When I get back in touch in Feb for the second score I plan on asking if any of the management changed so not a problem whatever happens ☺️

I will message you all tomorrow with more details ☺️ if anyone knows anyone who doesn't rug all winter could you see if they would get involved, I'm a bit short of unrugged volunteers! Thank you!
Belle is an un rugged volunteer :)

newrider.com