Working in hand to improve contact and outline

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Ziggy is off work until the end of July at the earliest. He is allowed to walk out and when I have a minute (ha ha) I am going to have another go at teaching him to long line - my one and only attempt 3 years ago was an unmitigated disaster! - but for now it's just leading out, at walk primarily.

When I ride him he doesn't "do" outline. His nose pokes out. My RI can get him to go in an outline but not me. He doesn't seem to understand how to move forward when his body is in a collected frame and there is a contact.

In his shelter working in hand I have taught him to drop into the right head position from the lightest rein contact and he does it willingly and prettily and will take a step or two. However, he seems to associate it with being in, one of those tricks that Mum asks me to do, and he doesn't do it when we are walking out even when he is bridled.

I'm planning to walk him out with his bridle under his halter and ask him to get himself collected from time to time. Does anyone have any suggestions for helping him move forward once he has got himself into the right shape? He seems to be puzzled by the request, as if it is actually physically impossible!

Ooh, good question! I don't know the answer - I've been taught to use legs to push Raf into the bridle which you won't be able to do if you're alongside and not on top. I think it would probably be easier to achieve if you were long-reining - not that I've ever even tried that so wouldn't have a clue, but you seem to be driving from behind rather than leading from the front. Plus I've seen others on our yard long reining young horses who appeared to be concentrating hard and working in a beautiful outline, so it's obviously possible. I've never seen anyone leading a horse in a collected frame really, unless you count excited horses that are trying to contain their energy whilst being led.

I'll be very interested to know if there's a way of doing it, then I might give it a go myself!

Dropping the head in the stable isn't collection/outline - that comes from pushing through with the hind quarters.

I would probably shift the focus on to lots of short quick transitions with an aim to lighten aids - maybe focusing on voice aids? Also perhaps introducing some yielding and turn on forehand etc? Have a look at the Shetland in hand dressage videos for some ideas! :)

As above you seem to be focussing too much on head position and not enough on the whole picture. The actual aoftening and lowering of the head is secondary to the impulsion being created with legs and contained with the seat so that the speed doesn't creep in.

It takes a lot of time and practise to get it right and the horse needs. Good degree of balance and be able to sit back on their hocks and not be allowed to work on the forehand.

As for how to improve this inhand I would imagine sharpening up transitions would help. I insist all my horses walk in hand at a decent pace no ambling along behind me they have to stride out beside me, which then makes ridden work a lot easier to make them move forward too.

newrider.com