wont stand to be mounted!

ponygal

Jul 8, 2008
Does anyone else have the problem of a fidgety horse who just wont stand to be mounted!? have any of you had the problem then cured it!? I need help!!!!!!!!!! Ive put up a similar thread to this before but was just given the advice that i should do the parelli games with him! Does anyone have any other ideas? (teeth,back and saddle are all fine by the way!) :confused:

Thats ok, I never use a block, and my boy is 15.2 :)

Im not sure if there is a 'quick fix'. Maybe teach him to ground tie?

The mare that we have on loan at the moment will never stand stil for my other half to mount, so he normally backs her up, sends her forwards loads of times. It eventually makes her realise standing is much easier!!

Last edited:
It seems to be as soon as i put my foot in the stirrup that i lose him completely-he goes forward,reverses,goes sideways and im left hopping around like an idiot! i like the idea of teaching him to stand at the mounting block but that doesnt help when im out on a hack and have to get off for a gate,eg. :confused:

It seems to be as soon as i put my foot in the stirrup that i lose him completely-he goes forward,reverses,goes sideways and im left hopping around like an idiot! i like the idea of teaching him to stand at the mounting block but that doesnt help when im out on a hack and have to get off for a gate,eg. :confused:

exactly! you cant carry one in your pocket so there is no point becoming reliant on it.

Sorry I cant be of more help

exactly! you cant carry one in your pocket so there is no point becoming reliant on it.

Sorry I cant be of more help

I'd always use a block when I can, for the sake of the horses back. No matter how big or small the horse.

I think with this it's a matter of patience and perserverance.

Will he stand on a verbal cue on the ground? (ie. when you're not trying to get on him!)

First off, check for pain issues (I know you said it's fine, but always helps to triple check :)) After that, I'd try either clicker training, or having someone on the ground to ask him to stand and put him right back where he started if he moves. Start off with a block, then when he stands nicely for that progress to from the ground.

No he wont stand on verbal command when im not on him,he's generally a very fidgety horse.

Last edited:
My boy is a pain but I think he's just being rude. He knows what stand means but doesnt like standing on the lunge (just keeps walking) or when I go to mount. I always get a leg up because I'm not the lightest of people and dont want to hurt him or damage his saddle (Plus he's 15.2hh so not tiny lol) and have found it best to stand him facing the fence so he can't walk forwards. If he starts to move I stand him again and dont mount until he stands still.

Get using your block. It sounds like he's anticipating the general shoogling of saddle & girth which happens when you ground mount, perhaps he has at one time had a badly fitting saddle & suffered discomfort during mounting because of it.

Start him in hand, walk up to the block, ask him to stand square. If he doesnt, back him back to it again, ask again, soon as he even shows the slightest inclination of understanding what your asking for, in with the pat and praise. Walk round the school, return to block, rinse, lather, repeat. It'll take time, but before long he will have a sudden *ding* moment and figure to himself, this is all she wants, he this is easy.

Once he learns to stand, repeat process with him standing & you standing on the block, give him a scratch or a massage on teh times he does stand for you, teach him that nice things happen there too. then move onto same & you mounting. Every time he makes to move off, immediatly return him to the block via backing up to it & praise if he stands.

it can be a case of them finding uncofortable to get on so they move away from it

try tacking him up, then finding a safe place to tie him to a string with the headcoller over,

get on gently every day with him tied up and wait for him to stand still before you unbuckle the head coller

make sure you catch your self with your knees and sit down gently

give him a wekk and he will work out he is pulling himself and start to enjoy standing still while you get on gently :)

worked every time for me

Does anyone else have the problem of a fidgety horse who just wont stand to be mounted!? have any of you had the problem then cured it!? I need help!!!!!!!!!! Ive put up a similar thread to this before but was just given the advice that i should do the parelli games with him! Does anyone have any other ideas? (teeth,back and saddle are all fine by the way!) :confused:

Hi Ponygal!

Yes - I've had the problem myself, and seen the problem and cured for others it many, many times. Not sure exactly how many - but it must be into the hundreds by now! :D

I can't be sure without seeing it, but I have a very strong suspicion that the problem is with the blind spot over your horse's back. Horses have 3 blind spots - one under the nose, one over the head and along the back, and one directly behind the tail. Anything moving into and out of these blind spots often frightens the horse - especially over the back and behind the tail. Over the back is where a predator would attack, and there's a strong instinct that tells the horse that anything disappearing into that space is bad news. The more frustrated we get with the horse moving away, the more we tend to behave like a predator - and so the whole thing gets worse.

The good news is, there is a pretty simple solution that just needs a little time and a lot of calm and patience. Start off by taking a rope, and swinging it from side to side under the horse's chin. First from the left - so the rope goes through the blind spot from left to right. (If your horse seems to prefer having you on the right, start on the right - but this is pretty rare). The rope must be long enough in the swinging bit the the horse sees it in one eye and then the other. Every time the rope swings from left to right and back, stop and stroke the horse. If this is OK, go to gently swinging the rope over the face (rather like another horse swishing flies for it in the summer!). If that's OK - swing the rope over the neck. Then move back so the rope goes over the shoulder, then the saddle are, then the hindquarters. If you find a point that the horse gets upset about, go back to to position before, and work back to the problem area before moving on. Every time the rope swings from left to right and back, stop and stroke the horse.

When you can throw the rope from left to right over any part of the horse without it reacting negatively, go to the other side and repeat the whole thing right to left.

Then go to the mounting block, and repeat the whole process with you standing on the block. If the horse moves away, just gently bring it back and set it up again until you can do the whole thing from both sides from the mounting block.

Now, starting again on the left (or the preferred side) - lean over and stroke the other side of the horse - start on the neck, then the saddle area, then the hip and hindquarters. If this is OK - put a foot in the stirrup and stroke the other side of the horse, then take the foot out of the stirrup. Gradually work up to putting weight in the stirrup, then taking it out again, and so on, until you can mount without the horse moving away.

Take it slowly, keep calm, and when things go wrong, just go back to the last step and build it up again.

The horse doesn't need to "learn" to stand still, it needs to gain the CONFIDENCE to stand still. Moving its feet is a horse's security blanket. The more you try to force a horse to stand still, the more it feels it has to move - so you need to make standing still feel safe and comfortable so it can stand there relaxed, not stand terrified to move.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Kate

Last edited:
I had this problem with Hugo, to the point where if i was at the yard on my own I wouldn't ride because i couldn't mount by myself :eek: I would often get OH to come up with me just to help me get on then he would go again.

Now I have no trouble at all. It took time but we got there in the end. I started off from the ground,walking round the school and asking him to stand and when he would stand still he got a piece of carrot. I wouldn't just say stand, I would almost sing it (sounds daft but it worked!!). I would say SSSTTTAAANNNDDD. i bought small portable step, which i could move with him rather than have to keep walking back to the block to try again which was a big help to start with. I would 'sing' stand, then again when I stood on the block, then again when I mounted.then i would lean down and give him a mint. I still repeat this every time i get on and now he won't move off till he's had his mint :D and I can get on from just about anything.

I have one of those portable steps too...they are great! My horse was a night'mare' to get on last year but with perseverance she improved. Firstly I had someone holding her while I mounted and then just someone standing in her way so she couldn't go forward. She used to move as soon as I stood on a mounting block or stool but would stand if I got on from the ground!!! so I did that for a while until she was good at standing then I introduced a block again. She's gone a bit backwards this weekend (spring is in the air!) but its just bad manners on these occasions, so she got told off for it - then she looks a bit shocked gives me a glare, lets me get on and off we go!! TBH I think they like to just try it on sometimes mine does...sort of seeing if she has the upper hand and I have to remind her otherwise (little madam)...she'll be the same to catch if she's in one of those moods too so I generally know!! Good luck I had to try a few methods before it worked even if we do have the odd relapse!:rolleyes:

Thanks RRA -one of the main problems i have with mine is that even when i tell him off(when he is just being rude!) he doesnt care,he is a very confident horse(to put it nicely!) so things like raising my voice or dominant body language dont really work with him which makes him a difficult type to train.....:confused:

Check you're also not toeing him in the side when you mount. The pony I train stands beautifully for me but backs up when his owner tries to mount. Turns out she was poking him in the side with her toe and he took it as a cue to move. We've now stopped her toeing him and he stands for her now too.

newrider.com